Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Adam did, I believe. But why is that? Because Adam was not one person. Adam in cuneiform, the writing style of the Sumerians that existed before the Hebrew of Genesis, means "settlement on the plains". In Hebrew it is the same word used 15 or so times in the Bible to refer to men and women as a collective group, mankind.

Upvote 0

Job24

Jul 21, 2003
connecticut
✟1,790.00
Faith
Baptist
so that means that adam was a cone head (from Saturday Night Live) and did not have a belly button
0024.gif

• Winner
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Bushido216 said:
Unless I'm wrong, belly-buttons are the result of the umbilical cord, which he would never have had.
No, you're not wrong...

But an umbilicus is not simply a scar, it's an important structure when studying the embryology and anatomy of the abdominal cavity.

I've seen plenty people without belly buttons (who have had excision of laparotomy scars, or repair of para-umbilical hernias) but they initially had one, so their internal anatomy is (usually) normal.

If Adam didn't have a belly button, then I imagine he didn't have normal human intra-abdominal anatomy either.

But heck, as I believe Adam to be a metaphor, I'm debating for no reason whatsoever :D

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
ej said:
No, you're not wrong...

But an umbilicus is not simply a scar, it's an important structure when studying the embryology and anatomy of the abdominal cavity.

I've seen plenty people without belly buttons (who have had excision of laparotomy scars, or repair of para-umbilical hernias) but they initially had one, so their internal anatomy is (usually) normal.

If Adam didn't have a belly button, then I imagine he didn't have normal human intra-abdominal anatomy either.

But heck, as I believe Adam to be a metaphor, I'm debating for no reason whatsoever :D
You do realize that Adam wasn't born out of a woman, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
bushido216 said:
You do realize that Adam wasn't born out of a woman, right?
drfeelgood said:
You do realize that Adam was indeed born out of a woman, right? Many women, as a matter of fact.
Huh? What? :confused:

1 - 'Adam' wasn't a real, single person IMHO

2 - If he were, he'd have weird innards... unless God moulded them to appear as though Adam HAD been born of a woman?

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
ej said:
Huh? What? :confused:

1 - 'Adam' wasn't a real, single person IMHO

2 - If he were, he'd have weird innards... unless God moulded them to appear as though Adam HAD been born of a woman?
Please see my first post in this thread.

Upvote 0

Origen

True Myth
Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
✟311.00
Faith
Methodist
ej said:
But heck, as I believe Adam to be a metaphor, I'm debating for no reason whatsoever.

If Hamlet and Huck Finn have belly buttons, why should not Adam?

IMO, Adam with a belly button lets us respect the deep religious truths of the Creation Story without descending into biological silliness.

Upvote 0