Did Adam and Eve have sex before the fall?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was just wondering which something, that we can never know the answer to, was so important.
Probably because it seems like a contradiction, but I have already offered a plausible scenario where it is not a contradiction. That isn't to say that my scenario is 100% correct. It just satisfies the desire for a plausible scenario.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They only got earthly bodies when they sinned??

Scripture says otherwise - that God created men and women, in his image, on the 6th day, Genesis 1:26-27. Genesis 2 says that Adam was created from the dust of the ground and God breathed life into him, Genesis 2:7. It says that God put Adam into a deep sleep, took one of his ribs and created Eve, Genesis 2:21.
Adam and Eve were not spirits, floating around in heaven; they were in a garden with real trees, plants and animals. They took the fruit with real hands, put it into their real, earthly, mouths and their real tongues told them that it tasted good.
And there were real serpents with real mouths that spoke real words? I think parts of the story are spiritual and other parts are literal.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And there were real serpents with real mouths that spoke real words? I think parts of the story are spiritual and other parts are literal.

There may have been A serpent who spoke real words - the devil can transform himself into anything.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well they didn't reproduce until they had sinned right? They did not have children before that.
That is what the OP was asking about. A totally healthy woman (like Eve) still cannot get pregnant until she ovulates. By today's standards, that can take as long as a month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There may have been A serpent who spoke real words - the devil can transform himself into anything.
I have never seen a talking animal besides a parrot and I guess that could've been Satan but he just wanted a cracker.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never seen a talking animal besides a parrot and I guess that could've been Satan but he just wanted a cracker.

No, neither have I.
But I've never seen Satan either - I don't know who, and what, he can speak through.
In the beginning, in the garden, Satan is depicted as a serpent - in Revelation, Satan is depicted as a great serpent, Revelation 12:9, Revelation 20:2.

That doesn't mean that all serpents are Satan, nor that they will speak.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's the paradox of the account, however if you a simple answer without forcing a bunch of odd changes a release of natural chemicals in the body would probably suffice. A more plausible answer is the account is not meant to answer those questions.
But how could she know what pain was before the fall? It could not be like what we can know after the fall. How could she have a concept of what pain is? How could she be told that she would have the pain of child bearing greatly increased?

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
But how could she know what pain was before the fall? It could not be like what we can know after the fall. How could she have a concept of what pain is? How could she be told that she would have the pain of child bearing greatly increased?

“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing"

Multiplying the number zero number results in a zero answer. So Eve (women) could expect some (a certain amount of) pain during childbearing before the fall.

Does not mean that there was childbearing before the fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another paradox of the account. Does it help to bring up that if Moses wrote these things down he does so 2500 years after they take place? The account is told to post-exodus Hebrews who already know what pain this the audience the account is meant for. It has a goal and each detail builds to that goal and thats all we can get out of the account. Details not listed have no value and are unimportant.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing"

Multiplying the number zero number results in a zero answer. So Eve (women) could expect some (a certain amount of) pain during childbearing before the fall.

Does not mean that there was childbearing before the fall.

Agreed.... what most likely amounted to what we would call "discomfort" before the fall, was greatly increased after the fall. Discomfort in paradise was probably considered pain before the fall. They had to have some sort of concept of pain in order to be told that.

Maybe Adam one day got wedged between some branches while climbing a tree, and what he was experiencing the Lord defined for him to add to his vocabulary. "Pain."

• Agree
Upvote 0

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t see how they couldn’t have ‘known’ they were naked during intercourse when they're the only animals that have sex face to face.

Of course they knew what they saw, but the idea of being naked as opposed to being covered was outside of their realm of experience. I've heard it said that they had a type of glory (which may have served for a covering of sorts?) which was taken away after the fall, don't know where this teaching comes from, maybe SDA?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
full
(Yeah, but Satan is the father of all "lyres...!") :sorry:

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Eve was created on Day 6, too [Genesis 1:26-27], so Adam named all of the [land] animals in one afternoon! (That makes [animal] taxonomy to be the world's oldest profession... ;))

In Genesis 1:27 there were no bodies yet created. What was created in the Hebrew meant that God created the souls "out from nothing." Male and female souls. But? The body for those souls were not provided not until we read Genesis 2. And, the Hebrew states explicitly that the body was not created out from nothing like we see the male and female souls being created in Genesis 1:27. Instead of the body being created 'out from nothing' [bara] - we see the Hebrew word 'jatsar' which holds a different meaning of God creating man in His image. What 'jatasr' indicates to those who know Hebrew is that the Lord took something that had been created out from nothing (the earth) and with it 'molded and formed' a lifeless body. A body that the Lord had to breath a soul into the nostrils to be made alive.

Too much for you? Its true. Please don't try to bluff around what I stated. You'll be missing some great insight into God's Word if you do. On day six God created the male and female souls of man. Its the invisible soul that was created in His image, not the body.

Now go ahead... butcher what I said. :holy: I hope that will not be the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think unless there was a retroactive re-tooling following the fall (which I do consider to be possible), I'm going to have to come down on the side of a pre-fall uterus.

PMS was definitely post-fall, if I had to put my money somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Adam and Eve had children before the fall. I mean scripture really doesn't say. BUT why would she say, "With the Lord's help I have produced a man!" Is it possible she had girls before the fall? I don't know...maybe she had a boy after the fall because of the seed? It's something about genealogy that makes me think about the male side being used more than the maternal side. My brain is foggy on this subject lol.
If God knew..and he did...man would reproduce..they had reproductive organs. (To me)
I just started studying Genesis...its very vague in alot of areas. We just don't know lol.

• Useful
Upvote 0