Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
Okay. For those of you who would like to extoll the virtues of your diaper preference!

My husband and I would really like to use cloth diapers on our upcoming kid because we are financially strapped and diapers are unsightly expensive.

I'm wondering if some of you have used cloth diapers, and what the pros and cons are? We're thinking of using cloth for the first month or two until the baby stops going through ten a day and then switch to the easier disposable kind.

2lplvr

Nov 21, 2004
NC
✟1,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did that with baby number one and the thing is there are so many other things (like sleep deprivation and getting your newborn to latch on) that you really may not want to bother with soaking diapers and finding a clean cover. Good cloth diaper are pretty expensive so if you are going to do it you may not want to switch.

Upvote 0

keirasmommy

Oct 19, 2004
Penticton, British Columbia
✟209.00
Faith
Christian
Why don't you buy some cloth diapers and disposables. If you run short on cash you can always use the cloth ones. Or, if you have the time, use the cloth ones but keep disposables for when you go out or have a babysitter. It's easier that way. The disposables are more absorbant so try using them at night if you want your baby to sleep longer.

Cloth diapers always leak onto baby's clothes so you'll be going through a lot of outfits as well as diapers everyday.

I've used the disposables for most of my baby's first year. I feel kinda guilty about what I'm doing to the enviroment. It's a lot of diapers.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We used cloth unless we were going to be away from home for a considerable length of time - longer than a change or two.

Love 'em, loved 'em, loved 'em!

Diaper liners were a great addition to the mix - thin woven paper so that when they pooped, you could flush that away. That made the diaper pail a much happier place! I would wash and reuse the ones that were only wet.

Balm X ointment was the greatest! Worked well - smelled great!

I was given a dozen "nappies" from England. A whole different breed of diaper! No thin fabric these... thick terry cloth that would absorb and absorb and absorb! I used them on three kids and they were in good enough shape to pass on to a friend.
Add some vinigar to the final rinse - it really helps get all the soap out of the diapers and minimizes rashes etc.

Nylon waterproof pants. THe plastic are so nasty to the touch! The nylon are so smooth and nice!

Upvote 0

psychoceramic

The only real guy in the house
Feb 3, 2004
Las cruces NM
✟1,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
our fav brand is called futti......they have little balloons with faces that fade away when they become wet... but they fit well and they have kept her from messing up outfits when she overloads the backs......of the diapers.. with her major explosive bm.

huggies also work well....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

delvaughn

Exhausted Flamingo Hunter.....
Dec 4, 2004
Crawfordsville, Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay --

Both my girls were born before I came back to God, so I was single when I had them.:blush: When Bailey was born, I wasn't sure how much Daddy would be around or how much help he would be if he was, so I went with disposables to start with. We were together for a while after she was born, but between nursing every 45 minutes(!), keeping up on dishes and laundry, and trying to sneak in a shower or some sleep (usually not both those first few months), there was no way I would have been able to use cloth, even though I would have liked to.

By the time Savannah was born, I was 100% on my own with an 18-month-old and a newborn. You know how that one turned out...

I really never got around to pricing cloth diapers, but I wonder if they really are cheaper by the time you pay for detergent, bleach, fabric softner, water, and gas or electric to wash them. Maybe someone else can discuss that.

As far as disposable diapers, my absolute favorite is Pampers. Huggies are good for most people, but they left little gel "pellets" on my babies -- not sure what was up with that! I do like Luvs, though; they do work well for the most part and are a LOT cheaper than the Pampers or Huggies. I didn't really care for the WalMart brand. The Loving Touch brand at Target was really good, but they've replaced it with a different off-brand now (at least at the local one) that I really do NOT like.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

delvaughn

Exhausted Flamingo Hunter.....
Dec 4, 2004
Crawfordsville, Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry about the double post, but the point to me giving you the background information about when my girls were born --

To me, it depends on two things: how much energy and help you have. If you find yourself with a lot of energy (send some my way LOL) and plenty of help, go for it. Otherwise, I'd say go for the disposable and spend the energy you do have and all available time with your baby. That's what is most important! Congratulations to you and your husband on your upcoming miracle!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sara elizabeth

Nov 29, 2004
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used cloth on my first baby from about two mo. until 14 mo. when I got pregnant with the next one. Couldn't stand the idea of washing poo poo when I had morning sickness. :sick: Used disposables for the next two and loved them. Decided to try cloth again on the fourth. Lasted for about 10 mo. But he was such a wetter that I had to change (clothes and diaper) all the time. I also was wearing the diapers out trying to get them clean because we had lots of dirty ones, too. So, now I am done with cloth. Not worth the bother in my mind. Cheap Wal Mart diapers work great for us (White Cloud or Dri Bottoms which ever is cheapest).
One other thing I hated was having a pail full of diapers. Every time you open it, it just stinks.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,774,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been to some peoples' homes where they use cloth diapers, and everytime you walk into the bathroom (or wherever the big pail sits) you get bowled over by some pretty toxic fumes. Bleah.....

So my advice is to keep that pail pristine, or out of the common rooms if you're unable to keep up regularly.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We used cloth for a time with my son but we found the urine would irritate his eczema and his pediatrician and dermatologist suggested disposables so we went back to them and he did much better. We ended up using disposables for our daughter. After our experience with our son, we weren't interested in trying again.

By the way, for my son Huggies were the best diaper for him. For my daughter, Pampers Baby Dry are the best. I've found every kid is built differently and diapers perform differently on different children.

Upvote 0

LegacyOfLove

Senior Veteran
Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
✟10,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay...although all of my children are long out of diapers now (woohoo! youngest is 8yrs.)....With my first child, I started out using cloth diapers in hopes of saving money in the long run. Turns out, you do quite a bit of laundry, really having to spend a lot more time (hand washing the worst of it, no less), dealing with "leaks" (arrggh...never quite figured those out and the "plastic pants" to go over never helped, just made getting a "diaper rash" worse). So, I opted to switch to disposable diapers.

The best brands (and prices) I found were:
(Namebrand): Luvs (This one was the cheapest of the namebrands, but very good diapers). Huggies (and with so many different kinds! And you can get coupons in the mail for these; so that really helps!).
(Storebrands):Walmart (great value-great prices).
Kroger (if you have this store in your area...it's also known as Dillon's in some areas of the U.S - This is a grocery store)...their diapers were very affordable and just as good (in my opinion) as the "Namebrand" diapers.

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where did you find the ones with the balloons that go away? My parents used them with my sister but I don't know where they got them and they can't remember.

We use disposable. The cost is not as high as I originally thought. I think we spend about 16 dollars a week maybe? I change him a LOT though because I don't want him to get diaper rash. I think its worth the cost. To save money, there are many other ideas I can give you. We are pretty poor also. But I couldn't wash the dirty diapers. For one thing, you have to prewash them before they even go into your washer. And you will run your washer a lot more and thats a cost too. Especially if you don't have your own washer and dryer and have to go to a laundromat.

Upvote 0