Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So lately I've been day dreaming about how cool it'd be to live in the barracks (barring the presence of the smoke monster, haha) and I got to wondering: how is it that some of the larger objects that belonged to the DHARMA Initiative came to be on the island? I can understand personnel and smaller supplies being brought in by the submarine but I don't recall the DHARMA Initiative ever having another means of going to and from the island. So I'm curious what your theories are on how things like the DHARMA vehicles were brought to the island?

And a side question: If you could live in the barracks, adding whatever modern conveniences you could... would you? Supposing that maybe there was one opportunity per month to go off-island?

:D

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would imagine they had an initial "big delivery" when they were first setting up on the island, and maybe one more before the Incident - since the vans, computers, stereo/turn-table, even the books and music libraries, seemed to be from the 70s and no later than 1980. They had those air-drops of food and supplies that we saw, so they were able to get some stuff on the island by air at least. Maybe they were also able to use a bigger boat for some of the larger items like the vans.

At this point, if I could live on a tropical island in New Otherton with lots of food supplies and books, I'd jump on the chance. :D

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, I forgot about the air drops. I was just thinking about all the complexities of actually getting to the island (i.e. by sea, you have to follow a specific bearing—was that ever explained?). Your theory makes sense though, there were way too many different items to be brought in separately. It had to have been some big initial delivery or something.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, I forgot about the air drops. I was just thinking about all the complexities of actually getting to the island (i.e. by sea, you have to follow a specific bearing—was that ever explained?). Your theory makes sense though, there were way too many different items to be brought in separately. It had to have been some big initial delivery or something.

The bearing issue, if I remember correctly wasn't it the electromagnetic force that was stopping ships from getting a navigational bearing on the island? I think that when the hatch imploded after Desmond turned the fail-safe, that opened the island up to being found again. If that's the case, Dharma would have been able to get to the island up until the point when that hatch was built (which we saw happening in The Incident) -- I think. :p

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The bearing issue, if I remember correctly wasn't it the electromagnetic force that was stopping ships from getting a navigational bearing on the island? I think that when the hatch imploded after Desmond turned the fail-safe, that opened the island up to being found again. If that's the case, Dharma would have been able to get to the island up until the point when that hatch was built (which we saw happening in The Incident) -- I think. :p

If that were the case, wouldn't Lapidus have been able to fly his chopper directly to the island instead of following Faraday's specific bearing?

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If that were the case, wouldn't Lapidus have been able to fly his chopper directly to the island instead of following Faraday's specific bearing?

The time-skipping figures into things somewhere here, but I can't remember how. Daniel had the freighter launch something to the island so he could measure how long it took to get to him, and it was waaaaay longer than it should have been. The explanation for that was the beginning of the time travel stuff, and that was also the reason there was an exact bearing necessary -- but I am not remember enough of the details right now. :scratch:

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just watched part of a re-run last night that jogged my memory a little bit. The time-skipping was part of the problem with needing the exact bearing to the island, but it wasn't so they could find the island - it was because if they went off course too much, they'd end up with the time travel sickness that killed George Minkowski (I think it was him) on the freighter and that later affected the Lostaways after the donkey-wheel was turned.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just watched part of a re-run last night that jogged my memory a little bit. The time-skipping was part of the problem with needing the exact bearing to the island, but it wasn't so they could find the island - it was because if they went off course too much, they'd end up with the time travel sickness that killed George Minkowski (I think it was him) on the freighter and that later affected the Lostaways after the donkey-wheel was turned.

The sickness that killed Charlotte? Interesting...

Upvote 0