Devotional differences between countries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

santiagoamr

Feb 16, 2007
Mexico City
✟7,981.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am from Mexico, and in my country devotion is vey strong and more so to MAry, but way different than from Catholics in other countries.

As an example, I know many Catholics that are very devotional but haven't picked up a bible in probably more than a decade. Or even don't knnow what the word apologetics mean. Forget asking about Theology, or history of the church.

I believe that a reason for this is due to the teachings in our society from the clergy. And that is because since mexicans have been devotional for centures and most of the country is catholic and until 10 years ago more than 90 percent of the country was Catholic, teh clergy didn't consder proper instruction to be necessary since there was no doubts about being Catholic. That I believe is changing now but not fast enough.

What do you guys think??

Thanks

Santiago

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am from Mexico, and in my country devotion is vey strong and more so to MAry, but way different than from Catholics in other countries.

In Italian American culture devotion to Mary is very big. St. Joseph and the Holy Family are also very popular for those of us of Southern Italian or Sicilian descent.

As an example, I know many Catholics that are very devotional but haven't picked up a bible in probably more than a decade. Or even don't knnow what the word apologetics mean. Forget asking about Theology, or history of the church.

I believe that a reason for this is due to the teachings in our society from the clergy. And that is because since mexicans have been devotional for centures and most of the country is catholic and until 10 years ago more than 90 percent of the country was Catholic, teh clergy didn't consder proper instruction to be necessary since there was no doubts about being Catholic. That I believe is changing now but not fast enough.

What do you guys think??

Thanks

Santiago

I'm glad that is changing. It reminds me of what my grandmother said Southern Italy was like when she was young. This was true in many ways of being raised Italian American as well. But as a little boy my Mothers mom bought me a picture bible and my early education in the faith (before Catholic school) was through that and learning devotions.

Devotions and such were used as the main teaching tool of the faith. They can be very useful that way, but sometimes there is an over reliance on them from clergy in parts of the world where there is a high population of Catholics. This is usually due to the fact that apologetics were or are (or at least are thought of as) not necessary in these areas.

But I think the change is because of Vatican II (It produced some wonderful documents on Scripture) and because of mass communication, mainly the internet.

Even places that are traditionally Catholic need to develop skills in apologetics and Scripture to understand and defend the faith. This is because attacks or even simple questions about the faith can come from all sides and misconceptions abound.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You know I agree wiyh uou completely. I also see an exit out of this with the New Evangeliztion that Pope Jhon Paul II announced in México, that calls for a better education for priests and laity on the Faith.

Thanks

Santiago

In line with that in the United States some very good Seminaries are offering night classes and undergraduate and graduate degrees and online courses for the laity in Catholic teachings. It is a small precentage right now but some like this (from a very good place) are starting to be really developed and even offer night classes at Catholic high schools for the laity. (link) and (link).

I hope programs like this become more widespread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.