Los Angeles
✟16,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
i find there is propensity to over-intellectualizing religion, meeting a bottomless pit of confusion, driven by a hunger for exact answers that simply may not be privy to us in our current state, leaning uneasily on conjecture and the proclamations of many who claim Authority, waiting for the next piece of the puzzle, time for research permitting, the privilege of scholarly education limited to conditions, knowing that interpretations, organization and editing of scripture will not be without its corruption, followers and preachers not without theirs. the teachings of Jesus, the parables, axioms and commandments, recycle throughout my days, drawing insight to the mundane and exceptional events of a day, creating context and balance in the extreme crunch of frantic cut-throat city-living, each often only out for their own.
for myself personally, i do not comfortably stray far from the Gospels, over-intellectualizing or theorizing. to love one another, to love thy neighbor as thyself, to love thy enemy - there is enough there for me to meditate upon for the rest of my life. to meditate upon the movements of my own heart and mind, identifying and weeding out sin and temptation, the ease in which one can downward slide, by judging the sin of other's, the failure to forgive, the threat of greed, indolence and hostility. I am continually checking myself moment to moment, failing often. in a world aiming towards its own self-annihilation, humans projecting myths of their god-like powers and status, what else can one do. i've been led astray, forces overtaking me, losing sight of the purpose and meaning of my life, as insignificant as this life may be.

the heart tells all. which thoughts and lack thereof edify our lives is known by the movement of the heart. clear devotion and faith and the ability to self-correct.

like it was said in the Grateful Dead's Speedway Boogie: "You can't overlook the lack, Jack, of any other highway to ride. It's got no signs or dividing lines and very few rule to guide" - pretty much says it all in a nutshell for me.

Last edited:

xoxo

Feb 28, 2020
Los Angeles
✟16,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
It's interesting how one Comes to Christ, each in our sin.
For some, it's through someone else that stands as an Example,
a light that doesn't hide where no one can't see it.
For some, it's by reading, thru the intellect.
for In the beginning there was the Word.
God Bless and Strength To You

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
for myself personally, i do not comfortably stray far from the Gospels, over-intellectualizing or theorizing.
The 'red letters' are nice but are incomplete without the rest of the writings of the Apostles. One needs to learn to see how both harmonize. There are no contradictions between the words of Jesus, Paul, or James as it is all written down under the inspiration of the same Author...the Holy Spirit.

BTW, in the pursuit to avoid over intellectualizing, I would be careful not to be drawn in by unbelievers, such as The Grateful Dead.

Upvote 0

xoxo

Feb 28, 2020
Los Angeles
✟16,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
i do my best, perhaps my best isn't good enough - true.
my study of scripture is sure to continue, but as of now, i have discerned disharmonies b/w Gospels and Paul, though i couldn't make references on the fly here, though i am mindful of the necessity of being equipped when making statements and should like to be better prepared for the future.
i never thought it my place to investigate the hearts and minds of the the Grateful Dead throughout their individual lives to deem whether or not they are Believers and therefore Worthy of having that line quoted, which to my ears, rings true, as does the last line "one way or another, this darkness has got to give".
i've witnessed well enough in my years that those who claim to be Believers often have bitter, fearful hearts, judging the sin of others, blind to their own sin that causes them to judge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0