Devoted theologians, what is the link between memory and madness in scripture?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What is the link between memory and madness in scripture? Have you read of anything that would speak of the two? How?

Madness is not a sin, if you can't cope without it; Memory is not strong, if you can't mix salt with it - if any man or madman or god does not understand this, he is weak, futile or pointless respectively.

Looking forward to scripture references but also what the Spirit actually leads you to say.

LaSpino3

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
✟2,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Gottservant, Madmen and memory both start with M, it may not be what your looking for, but it's a start.

Only Jer.48 speaks of mad'men, and it appears God is about cut these people from Moab off. Lunitic is also a Biblical word and makes referance to those who are affected by the moon, or sun. It means moon-struck, epileptic. This disease in the N.T. and elsewhere is ascribed to the influence of unclean spirits, demons. Matt.4:24, 17:15, "Lord have mercy on my son for he is lunatick, and sore vexed for ofttimes he falls into the fire and into the water, Ver.18, "And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour."

You can draw your own conclusions.

Memory, Hmmm, Memory means in remembrance, or memorial. Ex.17:14, Deut.25:19, "That thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven." Ps.30:4, "Give thanks at the remembrance of his (God's) holy name." Hosea 12:5, "Even the LORD God of hosts; the LORD is his memorial.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
That helps more than you may know.

I did a quick verse check, memory is in the bible 9 times and madness 11 times. I guess that means madness wins out over memory, in the end.

The reason I think its is important is that madness and memory are definitely powers in the Age of Time that we live in (I believe the Age of Grace has ended). Now that mankind has "evolved" people call faith madness and expect us to forget, but we must never forget. The Lord does not call us mad, instead He says "Remember Lot's wife", the epitomy of someone whose madness killed her.

Thanks again for your reply.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I wonder what scriptures improve memory.

Does remembering Lot's wife improve memory? It must.

This must be because remembering significantly large corrupt memories is not good for us, and by remembering Lot's wife, we put them behind us.

What other scriptures improve memory? Have you read them all?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm well things change as a constant .. so if you keep the same theology without considering what God is saying through the creation . you'll probably go insane within a matter of decades . being able to think actively about the world around you in context of who God is and who you are in him is helpful in "staying sane" .

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Thanks for your reply, you've given me a great idea for a thread to post: one on sanity.

You are right context is very important; I guess memory and madness are different ways of negotiating context, in a way. Is that what you are saying?

Anything you would like to add would be most welcome.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply, you've given me a great idea for a thread to post: one on sanity.

You are right context is very important; I guess memory and madness are different ways of negotiating context, in a way. Is that what you are saying?

Anything you would like to add would be most welcome.

Well memory is kinda like .. how you remember the teaching to be . madness is when you notice everything going against the grain of a teaching you hold to be important . there may be another way of thinking what you hold to be important that doesn't cause the way everything is becoming .. to grate your nerves every couple seconds for instance .

sanity is a fun topic .. because its root is similar to sanitation occaisionally i joke about yelling at the top of my lungs when afar off from a group of people .. Insane! Insane! but the thought doesn't occur quite as much as it did when i was younger . still gives me a chuckle tho .

Upvote 0