• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Devoted theologians, what is the link between memory and madness in scripture?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Gottservant, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Gottservant

Gottservant God loves your words, may men love them also Supporter

+489
    Messianic
    Hi there,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What is the link between memory and madness in scripture? Have you read of anything that would speak of the two? How?

Madness is not a sin, if you can't cope without it; Memory is not strong, if you can't mix salt with it - if any man or madman or god does not understand this, he is weak, futile or pointless respectively.

Looking forward to scripture references but also what the Spirit actually leads you to say.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    Well, I gave you something contextual for the times, a chance to speak, wisdom and some direction.

Why no takers?

3. LaSpino3

LaSpino3 Newbie

+41
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    Gottservant, Madmen and memory both start with M, it may not be what your looking for, but it's a start.

Only Jer.48 speaks of mad'men, and it appears God is about cut these people from Moab off. Lunitic is also a Biblical word and makes referance to those who are affected by the moon, or sun. It means moon-struck, epileptic. This disease in the N.T. and elsewhere is ascribed to the influence of unclean spirits, demons. Matt.4:24, 17:15, "Lord have mercy on my son for he is lunatick, and sore vexed for ofttimes he falls into the fire and into the water, Ver.18, "And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour."

You can draw your own conclusions.

Memory, Hmmm, Memory means in remembrance, or memorial. Ex.17:14, Deut.25:19, "That thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven." Ps.30:4, "Give thanks at the remembrance of his (God's) holy name." Hosea 12:5, "Even the LORD God of hosts; the LORD is his memorial.

4. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    That helps more than you may know.

I did a quick verse check, memory is in the bible 9 times and madness 11 times. I guess that means madness wins out over memory, in the end.

The reason I think its is important is that madness and memory are definitely powers in the Age of Time that we live in (I believe the Age of Grace has ended). Now that mankind has "evolved" people call faith madness and expect us to forget, but we must never forget. The Lord does not call us mad, instead He says "Remember Lot's wife", the epitomy of someone whose madness killed her.

Thanks again for your reply.

5. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    What does it mean to have madness and memory at the same time?

Is that what it means to take up your cross today?

6. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    After two more thousand years, will we be mad or will we remember?

7. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    I wonder what scriptures improve memory.

Does remembering Lot's wife improve memory? It must.

8. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    This must be because remembering significantly large corrupt memories is not good for us, and by remembering Lot's wife, we put them behind us.

What other scriptures improve memory? Have you read them all?

9. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    I wonder if madness over-rides scripture?

Or perhaps scripture over-rides madness?

But what are the consequences?

10. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    If madness and memory both fight over sin, surely sin wins

If madness fights over sin, surely madness wins

If memory fights over sin, surely sin and madness win

How then can we stay sane? By keeping the word.

11. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    The power of madness is that it turn insult, into delusion.

The power of scripture is that it turns darkness, into light.

If then we wish to know how we have been insulted, we must turn to the scripture that first brought us into the world.

12. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,362
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Hmmm well things change as a constant .. so if you keep the same theology without considering what God is saying through the creation . you'll probably go insane within a matter of decades . being able to think actively about the world around you in context of who God is and who you are in him is helpful in "staying sane" .

13. Gottservant

+489
    Messianic
    Thanks for your reply, you've given me a great idea for a thread to post: one on sanity.

You are right context is very important; I guess memory and madness are different ways of negotiating context, in a way. Is that what you are saying?

Anything you would like to add would be most welcome.

14. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,362
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Well memory is kinda like .. how you remember the teaching to be . madness is when you notice everything going against the grain of a teaching you hold to be important . there may be another way of thinking what you hold to be important that doesn't cause the way everything is becoming .. to grate your nerves every couple seconds for instance .

sanity is a fun topic .. because its root is similar to sanitation occaisionally i joke about yelling at the top of my lungs when afar off from a group of people .. Insane! Insane! but the thought doesn't occur quite as much as it did when i was younger . still gives me a chuckle tho .