Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Video explains some of the guidelines and challenges to be met before sending the kids back to the classroom.

My wife teaches third grade and because of my age mixed with a couple of health issues I'm just not sure how to safely proceed?

If she does return full or part time to the classroom I will be taking her temperature before she leaves for work in the morning and when she arrives home at night.

M

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Video explains some of the guidelines and challenges to be met before sending the kids back to the classroom.

My wife teaches third grade and because of my age mixed with a couple of health issues I'm just not sure how to safely proceed?

If she does return full or part time to the classroom I will be taking her temperature before she leaves for work in the morning and when she arrives home at night.

M

My answer is not included in your poll. Never.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Taking her temperature won’t work . Not every one infected gets a fever . If one of you can isolate in part of your house might be better . I’m sorry this country has an ugly scientific illiteracy problem as I see it’s coming home to roost . De Vos is scientifically illiterate.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Taking her temperature won’t work .

Not every one infected gets a fever . If one of you can isolate in part of your house might be better . I’m sorry this country has an ugly scientific illiteracy problem as I see it’s coming home to roost . De Vos is scientifically illiterate.

Not a 100% but,
it's one thing that I can do.

They have been taking people's temperatures before entering a group meeting that I attend.
True, probably only catches the ones who are already full blown CV.

M

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

M

Out of all the Trump appointees she has to be one of the strangest. I’m not sure if she’s just a bit thick or if she genuinely just doesn’t give a crap about her job and the responsibilities inherent in it.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

M

This whole push by the government is because behind the scenes they are looking at the economy collapsing. They are looking at the big picture. No tax revenue coming in or not enough could be devastating and cause a lot of issues. The next president will be looking at hard cuts and my guess is that safety nets will take the first hit. Right now parents can't find anyone to watch their kids. In my town the last day care just went under. You can't go to work and leave the kids alone.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This whole push by the government is because behind the scenes they are looking at the economy collapsing.

They are looking at the big picture. No tax revenue coming in or not enough could be devastating and cause a lot of issues. The next president will be looking at hard cuts and my guess is that safety nets will take the first hit. Right now parents can't find anyone to watch their kids. In my town the last day care just went under. You can't go to work and leave the kids alone.

Don't have to look behind the scenes here
easy to see
many falling apart.
M

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

M
In the Poll, I chose 'mixture of both' but what I mean by that could be accomplished in different ways and for different reasons.
First, if your school is in a 'hot spot' area then I think classes should be online. Live classes could be conducted over Zoom type platforms. Kids could see each other and talk to each other. They could even play games during break times and eat lunch together. Schools need to be creative.

Second, maybe half of the students physically attend school and the other half is online.
They switch places in the second half of the year. It makes the actual physical class smaller and more manageable for mitigation; the separation between desks, etc.

I'm hoping that at each school teachers are allowed to help make the decisions and not leave it up to just administrators and the state and certainly not the federal government pushing the idea that one option fits all.
The whole idea of the threat to taking away funding from schools is counterproductive to say the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's another interview where DeVos is asked about schools in 'hot spots'. Notice that she says, in that case, a school could close for a 'couple of days'. Does she think that she's being asked about an outbreak in school rather than the whole district, city, or even state as is happening now in several states?

Beginning at 8 mins.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Poll, I chose 'mixture of both' but what I mean by that could be accomplished in different ways and for different reasons.
First, if your school is in a 'hot spot' area then I think classes should be online. Live classes could be conducted over Zoom type platforms. Kids could see each other and talk to each other. They could even play games during break times and eat lunch together. Schools need to be creative.

Second, maybe half of the students physically attend school and the other half is online.
They switch places in the second half of the year. It makes the actual physical class smaller and more manageable for mitigation; the separation between desks, etc.

I'm hoping that at each school teachers are allowed to help make the decisions and not leave it up to just administrators and the state and certainly not the federal government pushing the idea that one option fits all.
The whole idea of the threat to taking away funding from schools is counterproductive to say the least.
Yes, these ideas in locations more at risk for spread (which is really most cities by now though...) we are hearing plans like for instance 1/2 of students attending each day (like a bi weekly 3 day - 2 day scheduling).

Here's an example of reduced numbers at school in NYCity, students attending only 1 day in 3:

Under the mayor’s plan, there will probably be no more than a dozen people in a classroom at a time, including teachers and aides, a stark change from typical class size in New York City schools, which can hover around 30 children.
N.Y.C. Schools, Nation’s Largest District, Will Not Fully Reopen in Fall

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Governor Cuomo gave quite a press conference last week, and I happened to see it (I'd not seen him in a few weeks).

The first few minutes are the great progress in New York State...but then after 10 minutes 30 seconds, he gets into big issue after big issue -- national -- and it's interesting stuff! (especially starting at 20 minutes in)

(New York first, but then all the nation starting at 10:30 in the video; schools starts at 17:45, but many big issues after that) --

And then he goes from issue to issue, and it gets...well, it was hard to stop watching after a bit, and it continued all the way through even into question and answer time.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cuomo straightens Trump out about who is in charge of public schools. It's not the federal Government.

My Child Test --
"I'm not going to ask anyone to put their child into a situation that I would not put my child into. ...

If it's not safe for my child, then it's not safe for your child."

• Winner
Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you are even against online learning?
Guess no one's going to be learning anything?
M

You seem to me to be conflating learning with being involved with or within an educational institution. Learning takes place all the time outside of those institutions. The two (learning and educational systems) can even be in conflict with each other depending upon the school system, the curriculum, the individual teacher, among other factors. I have no problem with online instruction at all. I think it is a wonderful tool and a good way for parents to see what their children are being taught. I fear too many parents want schools open in order to have a free babysitting service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

M

There's always a day or two of someone not running a fever where they can pass on an illness if they have it. Depending on your health issues you may want to keep that in mind... by the time she's feverish she's already passed it to you, even if it's the flu.

Most hospitable workers are taking extra precautions with their families to minimize potential exposure, which means a basic quarantine from the family, even at home... some are using campers if they have them, others sleeping in separate quarters and being careful to keep at a distance from family members. Especially high risk family members.

I think whether schools open or stay closed will really depend on the area, rural areas with few cases will be the most likely to go back, while some cities may have more considerations on a return to classes.

If I was you, I would have blood work done to find out if I was vitamin D deficient... 53% of hospitalizations for the COVID-19 virus are vitamin D deficient, and 100% of the cases that end up in the ICU are also. There hasn't been a mortality to my knowledge that has been found not to have a vitamin D deficiency so check to see if you are, and if so take steps with your physician to fix that.

It won't stop you from getting ill if exposed, but it will decrease your chances of a more severe outcome.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think whether schools open or stay closed will really depend on the area, rural areas with few cases will be the most likely to go back, while some cities may have more considerations on a return to classes.
Parents here need their kids back in school because many Need both parents working. We have had 1 confirmed case in our town, that's it.

Then a couple of weeks ago we see out of state license plates, 1 from GA, 1 from NY, and 3 from TX. We aren't a tourist town, the only time we really have out-of-staters much is hunting season. Then last Friday there were 2 from AZ. The one coming out of the store wasn't wearing a mask.
It makes me angry when people come here from places that have a high infection rate and don't even have enough respect to wear a mask.
Hopefully, they won't infect anyone here.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Parents here need their kids back in school because many Need both parents working. We have had 1 confirmed case in our town, that's it.

Then a couple of weeks ago we see out of state license plates, 1 from GA, 1 from NY, and 3 from TX. We aren't a tourist town, the only time we really have out-of-staters much is hunting season. Then last Friday there were 2 from AZ. The one coming out of the store wasn't wearing a mask.
It makes me angry when people come here from places that have a high infection rate and don't even have enough respect to wear a mask.
Hopefully, they won't infect anyone here.

I'll keep you all in our prayers...

we are seeing the same thing here, and we aren't on ANY major highway. We are so far off the beaten path it's unreal and are still seeing people come through from high infection areas...

Our county has banned anyone from out of town to stay here overnight because of it unless it's to visit family.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no problem with online instruction at all. I think it is a wonderful tool and a good way for parents to see what their children are being taught.

I saw the parents participation up close from observing my wife's third grade Zoom meetings and phone calls and emails sent to parents.

Only 30 to 40% of parents seemed to be interested with the online learning at home process. The majority never even checked their child's work.

Kids probably learned 20% of what they would have learned in the classroom.

Looks like most schools in California are not going to be reopening soon. Because of the very high possibility of my wife being exposed to CV at school and then bringing it home to me the old guy with a couple of medical issues -- I'm ok with that, although for the general population and health of our Country, probably not in our best interest.

Saw on the news where two teachers who taught summer school in the same room together both died from CV.

M

• Informative
Upvote 0