J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What did that devolving look like, quantified biologically?

From a scientific perspective, it probably wouldn't look any different than evolution - a change in allele frequency. However, from a theological perspective there may be a case that it is occurring. Such a view would be a value judgement, and could attempt to claim decreases in things like intelligence, vitality, morality, social continuity, etc. or increases in violence, religious hostility, narcissism, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What did that devolving look like, quantified biologically?
myopia has increased substantially in the U.S. up by 40% since 1971. Human eyes are becoming elongated. Probably the increase in computer and cell phone use.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
myopia has increased substantially in the U.S. up by 40% since 1971. Human eyes are becoming elongated. Probably the increase in computer and cell phone use.

How is that devolution, as opposed to evolution?

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Becoming only nearsighted is a worse state, a degeneration

That’s a value judgment, which is philosophical, not scientific. And it’s totally okay if devolution is not a scientific idea but a philosophical one.

• Haha
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s a value judgment, which is philosophical, not scientific. And it’s totally okay if devolution is not a scientific idea but a philosophical one.

Nearsightedness is on the rise and that's not philosophy but of scientific fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am willing to grant that a decline in far-sightedness is a scientific fact. What I am unwilling to grant (and therefore asking you to demonstrate) is that this decline is not evolution. I doubt you can make that case scientifically, but if you think you can then please do.

But if this decline being a “worse state” is a philosophical or religious conclusion, that is fine too. (I am a Christian and obviously not opposed to religious conclusions.)

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I am unwilling to grant (and therefore asking you to demonstrate) is that this decline is not evolution.
I think you have an extra negation in there.
I doubt you can make that case scientifically, but if you think you can then please do.
Yeah, most of the change cannot be the result of changed genetics, so it's not evolution of any kind.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think you have an extra negation in there.

He said this decline in far-sightedness is devolution, not evolution. So, I am asking him to demonstrate that it is “not evolution.” We impose ideas of change being “up” or “down” but those ideas are not scientific but rather philosophical or religious. There is no telos in science; change is change.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He said this decline in far-sightedness is devolution, not evolution.
Ah, I see.
So, I am asking him to demonstrate that it is “not evolution.” We impose ideas of change being “up” or “down” but those ideas are not scientific but rather philosophical or religious. There is no telos in science; change is change.
Exactly. (Except this wasn't evolution in any direction, of course.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums