USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll take it even farther...... I received my Gifts directly from the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Father of lights, the One from whom EVERY Good and Perfect gift comes (James 1:17).
Really? Even though scripture says they don't exist today?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First of all, cessationism is a dying doctrine because almost ALL of the old denominations have abandoned it. The following passage was used as an excuse for starting it …

“But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13:8-10)

PROBLEM:
Since “that which is perfect” is NOT specified, any interpretation of it must be an assumption.

At some point, the church claimed the “perfect” meant the completion of the Canon of Scripture.

PROBLEM:
Did knowledge also pass away?

PROBLEM:
The early church fathers witnessed the gifts of the Spirit (ref: Wikipedia) …
Justin Martyr (d.165) -- “For the prophetical gifts remain with us, even to the present time.”
Irenaeus (d.202) -- “In like manner do we also hear many brethren in the church who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light, for the general benefit, the hidden things of men and declare the mysteries of God, who also the apostles term spiritual”
Origen (d.253) -- “He (Origen) professes to have been an eye-witness to many instances of exorcism, healing, and prophecy” … “Origen has been described as ‘the greatest genius the early church ever produced’ ”.
Augustine (d.430) -- “Augustine noted that miracles in his own day were not as spectacular or noteworthy as those at the dawn of Christ-ianity, but that they continued to take place.”

Cessationism begins -- The obvious reason why the church came up with this doctrine
Powerful church leaders (who did NOT have any of the 9 spiritual gifts of 1 Corinthians 12) were obviously jealous of those who had them!
So starting after 400 a.d., these leaders simply declared that the gifts had ceased … using
1 Corinthians 13:10 as an excuse! Could any-thing be more obvious? Less obvious is that Satan was involved in deceiving these men
into satisfying their desires.

PROBLEM:
The Almighty God says He does not change

“For I am the Lord, I do not change” (Malachi 3:6)
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)

God has always been a God of signs, wonders, and miracles. He performed them all throughout the OT (Moses, Elijah, Elisha, etc.), and all throughout the NT (as a confirmation of the truth of Jesus’ gospel).
“… in mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God, so that (everywhere) I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.” (Romans 15:19)
“… God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?” (Hebrews 2:4)

PROBLEM:
Are verses like this in the NT only for the church back then?

“Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up.” (James 5:14-15)
If this was only for the NT church, then what about all the other verses in the NT, such as the salvation verses? Who can divide the NT verses: Those for back then … versus … Those for now?

PROBLEM:
God’s miraculous signs were prophesied for these last days

“But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, that I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your young men shall see visions, your old men shall dream dreams. And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; and they shall prophesy … before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.’ ” (Acts 2:16-20)

PROBLEM:
Peter prophesied that the Pentecost experience would be common for many
“Then Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off,
as many as the Lord our God will call.’ ”
(Acts 2:38-39)

Peter promised that “as many as the Lord our God will call” among them and their ancestors … would receive the same “gift of the Holy Spirit” as was given to the 120 on this Day of Pentecost. Those of the 120 who had not received the Holy Spirit previously (see Luke 20:22), received the born-again experience … and ALL of the 120 received the baptism with the Holy Spirit, evidenced by: “they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues (Acts 2:4)

The obvious reason why cessationism has been one of Satan’s biggest successes
God’s method of confirming the truth of Jesus’ gospel with miracles, etc. was squashed for many centuries! Due to the church’s UNBELIEF, many people have been robbed of this confirming evidence of the truth of the gospel, and therefore did not believe. Not only that, but countless people have been robbed of being healed of all manner of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual problems/

Several reasons why BACs today choose to believe in cessationism
Some simply have been misled-brainwashed-deceived about it since childhood.
Some are guilty of the serious sins of doubt,
lack of faith, and unbelief.
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness by Itzhak Bentov explains way vibrations causes a person to babble

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Is it not the case that Pentecostal Christians created and like to use the word Cessationists whenever possible? Cessationists, however, spend very little time fretting about the existence of the other kind of Christian.

I've been to both kinds of churches. I've only seen criticism of the other come from the pulpit in cessationist churches. The charismatic churches have spent some time explaining their continuationist views, but I've never heard the term "cessationist," or any criticism associated with it coming from the pulpit in any church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been to both kinds of churches. I've only seen criticism of the other come from the pulpit in cessationist churches. The charismatic churches have spent some time explaining their continuationist views, but I've never heard the term "cessationist," or any criticism associated with it coming from the pulpit in any church.

I think you must have visited some very atypical churches of both types!

That aside, consider why we are discussing this at all. It wasn't a "cessationist" who felt the need to start a thread in order to complain about or denounce
"continuationists," was it?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The charismatics that I've spent years around think the have something Christians do not have. And they feel superior because of this. Even making fun of mainline churches as sticks in the mud. But anyone tracing the roots of the Charismatic movement should find it pretty embarrassing. Today's gifts are nothing more than "Pentecostal knockoffs". Like a $3.00 Rolex..........

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The charismatics that I've spent years around think the have something Christians do not have. And they feel superior because of this. Even making fun of mainline churches as sticks in the mud. But anyone tracing the roots of the Charismatic movement should find it pretty embarrassing. Today's gifts are nothing more than "Pentecostal knockoffs". Like a $3.00 Rolex..........
The last time I priced a knock off Rolex, in a certain overseas market, it was $10.00. I bought one for my son.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟697,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
This thread has been permanently closed due to an excess of flaming and goading remarks. It is not ok to attack a member or to call their salvation into question.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.