Kansas
✟20,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Be very careful of any church which doesn't use the Bible as it's primary source of teaching. Yes, there is good material out there which can help us understand some of the more difficult concepts, or which expands on the basics, but God's word MUST be primary.

May God bless you in your search for a new church home.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Bless our God, O peoples, and make heard the voice of His praise;

Who holds our soul in life and does not allow our foot to slide.

For You, O God, have proved us; You have tested us as silver is refined.

You have brought us into the net; You laid afflictions on our loins.

You have let men ride at our head; we went through fire and through water, but You brought us out to saturation.

Come, hear, and let me recount, all you who fear God, what He has done for my soul.

I cried to Him with my mouth, and exaltations were under my tongue.

If I had regarded iniquity in my heart, Jehovah would not have heard. Surely, God has heard; He has attended to the voice of my prayer.

Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer and His mercy from me!

Psalm 66:8-12, 16-20

Sometimes it's hard to see where God is, when everyone tells you God is in the work of the church. God was at work in you then, and is in this current place of rest. He is in the wind and the storm, in the stillness...

His work is not always what it appears.

Make sure that when you're in a church, you continue to act on bringing truth and light and warmth that you know represents the gospel.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Any good thing taken to an extreme is error ...
I have listened to John Bevere ... Ken Copeland, Jesse Duplantis, Creflo Dollar ... etc. some I like , some I do not understand, some I enjoy.... but they are not my pastor ...

1 john 4.1 says be skeptical ... check things out ...confirm , verify ....

Paul said if people were preaching other than faith hope love and Jesus there was a problem

have you read Norman Vincent Peale's book on positive thinking and confession ... many of our problems are dwelling on the negative ...the problem , rather than seeking a solution ... some folks that go to the doctor are getting placebo's and some attention ... for stress, fear , and worry not a physical disease

there are 226 + flavors of christianity ... one should work for you ... are you made welcome, do you feel God's presence , are you growing because of the association , is there evidence of your faith ... involved in some outreach , work , or ministry /

keep on growing, you'll get there ...

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
have you read Norman Vincent Peale's book on positive thinking and confession ... many of our problems are dwelling on the negative ...the problem , rather than seeking a solution ... some folks that go to the doctor are getting placebo's and some attention ... for stress, fear , and worry not a physical disease
Lol, Peale was considered the heretic back in The Day. I think that many of the teachers today are criticized for their optimism, based on similar concepts -- what probably stemmed from his books. In practical life, optimism has a lot to do with faith, and faith has a lot to do with getting things accomplished and solved.

Upvote 0

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Mark,

That's a tragic story, I'm really sorry about that. :( I think we all know now, and indeed other posters have touched on it that you were in a bad church basically. Yes, they exist, churches are not free from corruption and I don't even think any denominations are free. Anywhere that man has a say in things, corruption has a chance to be present. We are fallen and that extends to everything we set our minds too.

But enough about that. You have expressed some concern over your faith. I think there are two things which can be most helpful to you, as I went through a similar phase over our origins, you know, the whole creation vs evolution debacle that is currently going on. First and foremost, don't invest too heavily in something that is not from faith. Perhaps there is a reason why the Bible doesn't clearly explain the mechanics of our world and how we came to be, building your faith around something that it doesn't talk about in no uncertain terms, will set you up for a fall should anything knock those legs out from under you.

The second thing, which helped me greatly, would be for you to realise that Christianity is a relationship between you and God. No one else. There is just the two of you. I was a Christian for some months before I declared it publicly, even my wife didn't know. That helped me a great deal, as it gave me time to find out about God before having to define my faith for others. Even now I am non-denominational, I wear the tag of Christian only.

Focus on God alone, and pursue His character and His teachings as revealed in scripture.

There is much I don't know about the Bible. I don't think I've read it cover to cover, I may have throughout my life, but not intentionally heh. Get the basics, sin, salvation, our calling to God and how we pray, why, how we receive answers and so on. I also attended an Alpha Course which helped greatly, as it covers the basics.

Also, I know no better way to find out the truth of the matter, than to argue with people. ;) In the nicest way possible, but talk about it. Get involved in discussion on the forum here, in the Philosophy and Ethics areas, or Thelogy, there is a forum here too called Ask a Pastor where you can ask anything, and if you are interested in just the Old Testament, there is a site that is run by Jewish scholars called AskMoses(.com). Go ask them stuff if you have questions.

But above all, don't lose sight of your personal one on one relationship with God. If you don't feel God in your life, don't stress over it. It doesn't mean He isn't there, or He has abandoned you. That will never happen. It just means you don't feel Him. That's it. I don't feel my wife in my life all the time, yet I know she is there and she cares for me. The single thing that I 'think' may be God in my life, all the time, is the peace I feel in myself and in my life, I never had that before God.

So take a deep breath, take small steps, focus on small things and complete them - then move on. Before you know it you will be back where you used to be, burning with a passion for Christ. :)

Cheers!
Digit

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.