Desperately need help about genuine Windows 10

fatherforgivethem

He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please, read everything if you can... I desperately need help... I'm not the IT guy and I really need help about it.

I have OCD and daily panic/anxiety attacks. Recently I've been panicking a lot every day about pirated Windows on my PC, because piracy is a sin.

I'll try to be brief:

I have my PC for 8+ years now. In 2019 it started showing up that message that gets in the screen of the computer and we can't get out saying "activate your Windows".
So I searched for something on the internet to "activate" my Windows 10 and get rid of that message. I found a tutorial on youtube on how to clandestinely activate Windows with an specific app, I think it was a "cracker" or something (I don't know about these things). I used it and worked normally, I "activated" my Windows 10, it was all ok.

Then, on December 2020, my PC stopped working and I sent it to repair. The guy said the problem was the motherboard, I bought another and formatted my PC.

When I started using my PC again, it was all normal. Windows 10 was activated, normally.

After that I became a "dedicated Christian" and on April I started having panic attacks about "what if my Windows 10 is still pirated???? I need to try to fix it, because it is a sin and if I keep using pirated Windows 10 I'm going to hell".

So I desperately started searching on the internet on how I could get genuine Windows 10.
I'm a teen, I don't have a job so I can't buy a new PC.
Also I can't buy original Windows 10 because it costs 1600 here where I live. I can't afford it.

So I found the free "Media Creation Tool" from Microsoft, used it and installed original Windows 10. All good, right? I'm not sure...

Now 1 month later I realized the Media Creation Tool only works for those who have the digital license number, something like that. And that's the problem... Maybe the digital license I had that made me able to use the MediaCreationTool was false? I'm not sure, but I'm so afraid of it... because even if I am currently using ORIGINAL Windows 10, it can still be a sin because the way I used the Media Creation Tool was from a false license maybe?

Did you get it? I'm afraid that I got the original Win10 from MediaCreationTool using a fake digital license.

Because you know... Back in 2019 I used that thing to activate my Windows... So I don't know...

Please if you know and understand about these things read everything and try to help me... WHAT SHOULD I DO?
My heart is broken, I'm having panic attacks and worrying SO MUCH about it... I don't want to continue sinning (using pirated Windows OR using genuine Windows but it was acquired from a false digital license) and end up being sent to hell. I'm so afraid.

Last edited:

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Okay, first off: you're saved by grace, not by works. You sin every day for things other than this. I'm not saying that piracy or stealing is good, I'm just saying God is a god of grace. And if you're actively trying to get out of this situation, then good for you.

If you have a Windows 7/8/10 sticker somewhere on your computer, you are licensed. You don't have to worry about stealing anything (unless it's the wrong version, but let's not open that can of worms). It'll be a blue or shiny rectangular sticker that will say "Windows [version]" and a heap of letters and numbers. If you have that, stop panicking. Even if you added the license in a questionable manner, this is all that matters.

If you don't have that and you desperately want to ease your guilty conscience, you can install a free operating system like Ubuntu.
Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu

There's plenty of guides on how to do it. Just be aware that depending on the install method, this may delete or render your data inaccessible. Back up anything important. Also be aware that normal Windows programs don't work out of the box with it.

And of course, if this is a family computer, don't change anything without talking to your parents first.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks so much for your response and patience! I am really really thankful!

Okay, first off: you're saved by grace, not by works.

Thanks!! But if I didn't try to get out of this situation, I would be condemned... no?

If you have a Windows 7/8/10 sticker somewhere on your computer, you are licensed.

I searched on my entire CPU in and out and didn't find anything. The only stickers I found were from Asus and Intel.

Now I remembered more things:

I bought this PC on 2012/13 and there wasn't Windows 10 back then, my PC came with Windows 7 or 8, I don't remember.
But during 2017~2019 I wanted to play a game that required my PC to be 64bits, but it was 32bits. So I sent it to the "repair guy" and asked him to update my PC to 64bits. He did it and also put Windows 10 into it.

Then... later in 2019/early 2020 I got the problem I mentioned in the first text, where I got the "activate your Windows" warning and used questionable ways to activate it and get rid of that message.

So... The only option left besides buying it is Ubuntu?

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Thanks!! But if I didn't try to get out of this situation, I would be condemned... no?

Well yes and no. I mean, I'm not God, so I can't say, but people screw up. All the time. You're actively trying to fix it, which is the right thing to do. Most people die with unrepentant sin because they don't think about it or they've forgotten about it. God knows every sin you do whether you are consciously aware that you're sinning or not. There's no condemnation in Jesus, whom you're following. Of course you should try to get out of sin, but it's not a "you're going to hell if you don't fix this" deal. It's not through fear you want to fix your sin, but because you love Jesus.

I searched on my entire CPU in and out and didn't find anything. The only stickers I found were from Asus and Intel.

Now I remembered more things:

I bought this PC on 2012/13 and there wasn't Windows 10 back then, my PC came with Windows 7 or 8, I don't remember.

Did you buy it new from a reputable shop? (Also it could be on the bottom or inside)

But during 2017~2019 I wanted to play a game that required my PC to be 64bits, but it was 32bits. So I sent it to the "repair guy" and asked him to update my PC to 64bits. He did it and also put Windows 10 into it.

Then... later in 2019/early 2020 I got the problem I mentioned in the first text, where I got the "activate your Windows" warning and used questionable ways to activate it and get rid of that message.

If you bought it new from a reputable shop then it probably was licensed for Windows 7 or 8. If the guy didn't activate it, that's a failure on his part.

So... The only option left besides buying it is Ubuntu?

You either need to pay for a Windows license, or use a free operating system. There's several; most are based on Linux. Ubuntu is a fairly common one that has lots of support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The technical problem is that with the new MB, Windows needed to be reactivated. But since it was an upgrade from 7 to 10, the only way to do that is to install 7, activate it using the sticker code on the machine, and then upgrade to 10.

Or just not worry about it. MS no longer cares much. Back in the day, selling the OS was how they made money. But now with 10 they give it away and make money off advertising and your data. I've seen machines, home-built, that were never activated, and 10 works exactly as normal. It updates, it works, you can set your desktop wallpaper, there is no time limit, etc. There is only a small notice in the desktop corner saying it is not activated. And they've made that notice as subtle as possible. Clearly they don't care much.

So you had a valid upgrade but for some reason you lost it. Bad updates from MS can do that - which makes it their fault. To get it back you have to retrace the 7 - 10 upgrade path, or simply forget about it. The crime here is a mere technicality, and even the "victim", if MS should ever be called such, doesn't much care. They would rather make ad money off you than see you move to Linux - which is free, and IMO is a better place to be by far.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since you had a valid Windows 7 licence, the upgrade to Windows 10 was free so you haven't done anything wrong.

So you had a valid upgrade but for some reason you lost it. Bad updates from MS can do that - which makes it their fault.

What if the "guy" didn't do the upgrade from 7 to 10 in a fair/correct way? Because as I said, later I started getting the "activate" message.
Or what if my Windows 7 was not even original from the start????
That's the problem, I can't know exactly if I'm in sin or not.

I don't know what to do anymore. There's been already 2 days that I don't watch my College classes (which are online because of covid) because I'm so worried and busy with it and don't want to use my computer because the fear of sinning by using it.
I just bought an expensive game one week ago that I liked so much and was waiting more than 1 year for its release, and this game doesn't run on Linux/Ubuntu. I don't know if I should go for it or no.

Also, since my classes are being online because of covid, I made a lot of annotations to study on WordPad (a free app from Windows 10). But since my Windows 10 wasn't earned in a fair way, consequently I didn't have the "permission" to use WordPad and make my annotations (it's a LOT, more than 1 year doing it). So I'm afraid I'll need to delete all of them because it's also a sin... 1 year of study content, not to mention the content I have to study for exams next month...

Every single day I'm getting even more destroyed inside and mentally destroyed because of it and other things... Today, when I started dealing with this subject again I got headaches and I'm afraid my health gets worse because it's been days and doesn't seem to end.
Yesterday I heard that a father of an old friend of mine had a heart attack because of covid complications. Today a friend of my mother had a heart attack because of constantly panic, anxiety attacks... and my grandfather died from a heart attack because of excessive worries... I'm really REALLY fearing that I can end up being the next one

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or just not worry about it. MS no longer cares much. Back in the day, selling the OS was how they made money. But now with 10 they give it away and make money off advertising and your data. I've seen machines, home-built, that were never activated, and 10 works exactly as normal. It updates, it works, you can set your desktop wallpaper, there is no time limit, etc. There is only a small notice in the desktop corner saying it is not activated. And they've made that notice as subtle as possible. Clearly they don't care much.

The crime here is a mere technicality, and even the "victim", if MS should ever be called such, doesn't much care. They would rather make ad money off you than see you move to Linux

Yeah, I agree with you, it doesn't make difference for MS. They don't care, it doesn't harm them. But I can't ignore it and move on, a sin is a sin... There is no small or big sin...
it is theft.
If I move on and don't worry as you said, I will end up disrespecting and offending God and can end up going to hell. I don't know where to run anymore...

Today I prayed for God asking Him to make an exit for me so I can get out of this sin, because there is no exits anymore... Please pray for me

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you buy it new from a reputable shop? (Also it could be on the bottom or inside)

I don't know, it's been almost 10 years I just remember that my father asked my uncle to "build" a good computer for us, because he understand about these things, he works with IT.

If you bought it new from a reputable shop then it probably was licensed for Windows 7 or 8. If the guy didn't activate it, that's a failure on his part.

That's the problem, I can't know if my Windows 7/8 was licensed or not...

Let me ask you something, when I format my PC completely does the "questionable activation method" get removed?

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is no small or big sin...
Theology first. That is not true. Stealing a pencil is not as bad as abusing a child.

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not [leading] to death, he shall ask and [God] will for him give life to those who commit sin not [leading] to death.
There is a sin [leading] to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not [leading] to death. - 1Jo 5:16-17
Jesus also told Pilate that the sin of the Pharisees was greater than his. He told the three cities that Sodom would have a better time in the Judgment than they.

If you think every time you overeat, or have a lustful thought, you've gone beyond the grace of God, you're going to have problems. You should have more faith in God's goodness.

Now, to the machine. Does it have a Win7 sticker on it? If so, why would the Win7 not be valid? I already said MS occasionally breaks validation due to its bad updates.

And have you considered using Linux?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now, to the machine. Does it have a Win7 sticker on it? If so, why would the Win7 not be valid?

I searched everywhere or my CPU and only found Asus and Intel stickers

I already said MS occasionally breaks validation due to its bad updates.

Yes, but I'm afraid that's not the case since I don't have the blue sticker. What if the repair guy upgraded to a faked Windows 10?

Yes, I am still considering it. I had a friend that used it and always said good things about it although I didn't understand anything.
I think I'll just have to completely give up of the game I bought 1 week ago, since it does not run on Linux

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I don't know, it's been almost 10 years I just remember that my father asked my uncle to "build" a good computer for us, because he understand about these things, he works with IT.

That's the problem, I can't know if my Windows 7/8 was licensed or not...

Can you ask your uncle if he definitely got a Windows license for it? If it's something he actively does, it's not something you forget, especially if you install it (you literally have to enter in the key or skip it - it's a conscious decision).

And if your uncle put Windows on but didn't license it properly, technically this is on him.

Let me ask you something, when I format my PC completely does the "questionable activation method" get removed?

It depends how you've done it. There's a few different ways of going about it, but the likely case is probably.

Also if you do college, there's every chance you do have access to Microsoft products anyway (in some cases, including Windows). Ask them.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ok, I see it's a home-built. Chances are it was never licensed properly, since that's an easy way to save $100, but you will never know unless you ask the builder. If it wasn't, the Win10 upgrade would pick that up and demand activation.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends how you've done it. There's a few different ways of going about it, but the likely case is probably.

After I got the new motherboard, my PC was formatted. It was on December 2020.
From this date until April 2021, I never got any problem with Windows activation and in the activation page it said "activated with a digital license". So that means my activation method from 2019 was still working? Even after I formatted my PC like 2 times and changed the motherboard?

(PS: it was on April 2021 that I started panicking and used MediaCreationTool to get original Windows)

Ubuntu is a fairly common one that has lots of support.

Now about Ubuntu or Linux, etc... I'm very inclined to use a free operational system. Which one is the best? Please recommend one that is good at running games, because as far as I know some of them can struggle with it

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
After I got the new motherboard, my PC was formatted. It was on December 2020.
From this date until April 2021, I never got any problem with Windows activation and in the activation page it said "activated with a digital license". So that means my activation method from 2019 was still working? Even after I formatted my PC like 2 times and changed the motherboard?
That makes no sense to me. If you reformatted the hard drive and fresh installed Win10, all previous OS activation data, whether valid or cracked, was wiped. The only raw activation data left would be on the motherboard, which if it was not taken from an OEM machine would not have activation data onboard. So unless I or you are misunderstanding what happened, the activation should not have worked.

Edit: It seems likely the new MB was used, from an OEM machine.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Few questions. 1. Did you build your computer or did you buy it from a store? 2. If you bought it from a store did you get a OEM sticker with it? That sticker will have your legal number.

If you built your computer you can get a fully legal, fully updatable OEM copy of Windows 10 for under $20 US. I bought my wife's copy for $12 or so. If you bought your computer from a store and your computer said "Windows is not genuine" than it's on who sold you the computer and they sold you a pirated copy of Windows already. Like I said OEM copies of Windows are very inexpensive its only when you have to buy a full retail copy where they get expensive.

If you built your computer or if you bought your computer from say Walmart they're all OEM copies and fully legal.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
paul1149 Wookiee

Is there any chance that the motherboard I bought at December 2020 and I'm using right now came with an original activated Windows 10?

If so, that explains how I used the MediaCreationTool without problems in April 2021 (because I think you need a digital license to use it) and re-installed Windows 10.

If that's the case, all my panic in April was unnecessary, since I was already using genuine Windows 10.

What do you think?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FFT, I have just returned to this forum, and you're my first post. Installing a pirated copy of Windows 10 is a complicated process that requires a lot of knowledge. You couldn't have done it without being an expert who did it deliberately.

The "Validate Windows" message is an error that occasionally pops up on the wrong computers. Often this occurs on computers that were installed by a computer shop using a group license. You're not a crook.

Upvote 0