midwest
✟16,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no one to talk to about my marriage issues. I have been in prayer about them a lot. Even though I recognize people face much bigger problems, I feel guilty for devoting so much prayer to my marriage issues. My husband is a very outgoing person, very loving and affectionate and has led people to Christ. He is a very good counselor as well. However, whenever I want to talk about our marriage problems he avoids it. He has told me that he fears if we do talk it will lead to us splitting up. I support him financially and have been for a very long time. He is a very talented man and in the beginning I was optimistic about supporting him but that has all changed. He is very limited in ways that he gets derailed quickly and has a lot of excuses why he hasn't completed anything he has worked on in the last 7 years or so. When he has worked part time it just takes over his life and there isn't much time to do anything else. He spent a whole paycheck on giving a large groups of kids some toys yet I don't have a wedding ring yet (I don't require one but it makes me feel sad that I don't). He is also a perfectionist which can be good and bad. I am good at getting things done but he doesn't let me in to help him. He will let me pay the bills for everything but not be involved in the work and control any aspect of it, which I feel he needs. At times I get really frustrated because I have to take care of everything regarding finances, the household and his life. I feel like his mother sometimes. He pretty much gets to do whatever he wants and I don't require much of him. I don't know of any woman who would be ok with this arrangement without results. He keeps referring to the people he has helped bring to Christ but right now there are only 2 people that he studies with and its not taking up a large part of his time. He says that can change at any moment and has big plans but he never thinks about the things to get him from point A to point B. He feels like I am against him when I bring up all those things that he doesn't think about that have to get done in order to get where he wants to be. When I go to talk to him about these things he gets very defensive and repeatedly says I will only love him if he makes money. This upsets me so much because I've supported him for so long and never asked for anything in return. I told him that I feel that my support is not helping him and that something has to change. He takes that to mean that I want to split up which I never bring up. He will tell me that I would be happier if I didn't have the burden of him in my life. The fact is that he is a big burden and I acknowledge that but, again, it always leads to splitting up over him offering any solution, compromise or talking about these things with a goal of resolution. I almost think he wants to split up but the only reason he doesn't is because he would be homeless if I didn't support him. I want to have a marriage where we can talk about anything and be strong enough to survive any blow but everything is so fragile. I can't see him ever going to marriage counseling with me. If you have any Godly advice as to how to talk to him or what to do, I am open. Thank you.

• Prayers
Reactions: Darkhorse

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps you should approach marriage counseling with him as a safeguard against breaking up, a step to minimize the chance by safely facilitating communication.

Of course, we see only your perspective on your marriage, and I'm not saying it's inaccurate, but it is incomplete. Trying to discuss things with him probably won't get far (as you have seen).

In my totally non-professional opinion, the two of you need an objective outsider to properly evaluate the dynamics of your relationship, and offer helpful advice. Your husband may see this as "twisting his arm" or "telling him what to do", but if he can come to see it as improving the expectations of both parties rather than an attack on him, he might be inclined to try.

You need a skilled, trained counselor (preferably Christian), not "brother Bob" at the local church.

Prayers...

Reactions: tallulah
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I go to talk to him about these things he gets very defensive and repeatedly says I will only love him if he makes money. This upsets me so much because I've supported him for so long and never asked for anything in return.

He takes that to mean that I want to split up which I never bring up. He will tell me that I would be happier if I didn't have the burden of him in my life.

It sounds like you are married to a class act manipulator who will only love YOU if you make money to support him, otherwise he wants to split up.

If you are not enthusiastic about supporting him (and who would blame you if you are not), stop supporting him. Divide the household costs in half and let him figure out how to come up with his half. Let him know that starting next month, you'll be looking for his half.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he starts talking about splitting up, realize the split up is on him, not you.

You can repeat to any such tactics with a statement like this - just be a broken record and don't go further.

"I love you and I married you for life. It is breaking my heart that you only want to stay with me if I provide for you financially so you don't have to work."

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you are married to a class act manipulator who will only love YOU if you make money to support him, otherwise he wants to split up.

If you are not enthusiastic about supporting him (and who would blame you if you are not), stop supporting him. Divide the household costs in half and let him figure out how to come up with his half. Let him know that starting next month, you'll be looking for his half.

Given that the poster would probably rather stay in her home, and continue to have her utilities paid ... perhaps a better initial approach would be for her to hold him responsible for paying for his own personal expenses, with an aim toward moving in the direction of more shared financial responsibility ...

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

tallulah

Feb 14, 2018
midwest
✟16,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you should approach marriage counseling with him as a safeguard against breaking up, a step to minimize the chance by safely facilitating communication.

Of course, we see only your perspective on your marriage, and I'm not saying it's inaccurate, but it is incomplete. Trying to discuss things with him probably won't get far (as you have seen).

In my totally non-professional opinion, the two of you need an objective outsider to properly evaluate the dynamics of your relationship, and offer helpful advice. Your husband may see this as "twisting his arm" or "telling him what to do", but if he can come to see it as improving the expectations of both parties rather than an attack on him, he might be inclined to try.

You need a skilled, trained counselor (preferably Christian), not "brother Bob" at the local church.

Prayers...
I really wish he would do counseling with me. I will try to go that route. THank you.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given that the poster would probably rather stay in her home, and continue to have her utilities paid ... perhaps a better initial approach would be for her to hold him responsible for paying for his personal expenses, with an aim toward moving in the direction of more shared financial responsibility ...

That sounds more like mothering a teenager and putting him on an allowance. I personally would find this option to be "yucky" if it were my marriage.

He's an adult - let him provide for himself like one.

The person who cares the least in a relationship controls it. There is a fundamental imbalance in her relationship of who cares most and he is exploiting it.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sounds more like mothering a teenager and putting him on an allowance. I personally would find this option to be "yucky" if it were my marriage.

I share your perspective, but it's doubtful that she can get him to go from 0-60 overnight.

Perhaps she can get him to counseling ...

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry you are going through this. To help us understand a bit I am going to ask a few questions. It helps if we understand the situation a bit better.

My husband is a very outgoing person, very loving and affectionate and has led people to Christ. He is a very good counselor as well. However, whenever I want to talk about our marriage problems he avoids it. He has told me that he fears if we do talk it will lead to us splitting up.

Did he ever allude to why it would lead to that? Most people would think that if you talk through problems you might solve some. Do you ever wind up yelling or fighting over problems? Does he seem to discuss things with other people (family members of his or yours, or friends?)

I support him financially and have been for a very long time. He is a very talented man and in the beginning I was optimistic about supporting him but that has all changed. He is very limited in ways that he gets derailed quickly and has a lot of excuses why he hasn't completed anything he has worked on in the last 7 years or so.

What kind of things has he been working on? His own business? Jobs?

When he has worked part time it just takes over his life and there isn't much time to do anything else.

Please explain. Do you mean he mentally dwells on it? If it is part time he wouldn't be gone that much. Or is it a scheduling issue where you don't see each other?

He spent a whole paycheck on giving a large groups of kids some toys yet I don't have a wedding ring yet (I don't require one but it makes me feel sad that I don't).

You do need one, or else it would not be hurting you. It is OK to feel that way. You are not being greedy, but you are noting that he is choosing other things over you. Giving toys to children is a good thing. But you generally give to charity after you have supported yourself and your family. You should both have a wedding ring. Even if it is one of the affordable ones from Walmart, just so that folks know you are married. Does he have a ring?

He is also a perfectionist which can be good and bad. I am good at getting things done but he doesn't let me in to help him. He will let me pay the bills for everything but not be involved in the work and control any aspect of it, which I feel he needs. At times I get really frustrated because I have to take care of everything regarding finances, the household and his life. I feel like his mother sometimes. He pretty much gets to do whatever he wants and I don't require much of him. I don't know of any woman who would be ok with this arrangement without results.

What kind of things does he do with his time? Does he do any housework at all? Any cooking? Do you have any children?

He keeps referring to the people he has helped bring to Christ but right now there are only 2 people that he studies with and its not taking up a large part of his time. He says that can change at any moment and has big plans but he never thinks about the things to get him from point A to point B.

Is he wanting to be in some kind of counseling or ministry field? In any case the Scriptures speak to this issue:

2 Thessalonians 3:6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, 9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us. 10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread.

Paul preached to many people, but he also worked.

In the context of providing support for needy widows Paul also stated:

I Timothy 3:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

There are exceptions if he cannot physically or mentally work due to disability. But you are right to expect him to work if he can. And if he is going to do ministry he can do it in the time after he works. And in many cases, you have opportunity to speak to the people you work with as you develop relationships with them.

He feels like I am against him when I bring up all those things that he doesn't think about that have to get done in order to get where he wants to be. When I go to talk to him about these things he gets very defensive and repeatedly says I will only love him if he makes money.

This is where folks were wondering if this is manipulation. It is not a question of only loving him if he makes money. If he loves you he would want to help out with the finances. On the other hand, if you make plenty of money and you do not need the money he would provide, then he should be taking on the majority of the work at home so you do not have to do both. Either arrangement has worked for families. But you are correct that it is not reasonable to expect he would do nothing to help the family. If he is avoiding talking about it because he knows he would be called on his doing nothing, that is likely explaining why he won't deal with it.

Does he show signs of depression? Does he go do activities other than work or housework?

If he is legitimately trying to find work and the job market is bad, etc. and he cannot, that is one thing. But if he refuses to work outside of the home or inside and does not help you with any of the burden, that is not being fair.

This upsets me so much because I've supported him for so long and never asked for anything in return. I told him that I feel that my support is not helping him and that something has to change. He takes that to mean that I want to split up which I never bring up.

Do you go to a church? Is the pastor aware of this state of things? Do any of your family or his family ask him why he is not working? If so, how does he respond to them?

He will tell me that I would be happier if I didn't have the burden of him in my life.

This is another statement that suggests possible manipulation. Or depression. Which do you think is more likely?

The fact is that he is a big burden and I acknowledge that but, again, it always leads to splitting up over him offering any solution, compromise or talking about these things with a goal of resolution.

Possibly because he likes the way things are and doesn't want to have to work. If he talked about it he would have to acknowledge that he is not carrying his weight, and that it is a reasonable expectation for him to either work outside the home and bring in income, or take on more at home.

I almost think he wants to split up but the only reason he doesn't is because he would be homeless if I didn't support him.

Or he knows that talk of splitting up will engage your kinder feelings, as well as result in you thinking that it is way too drastic of a solution. Therefore you reject that option. He likely does not want to split up. He may be depressed. Or he may want things to go on exactly as they are because he benefits from you doing everything.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Time to turn off the money. Pay your living expenses but if he wants walking around money, he'd best find a way to earn it himself. He sounds like a child, not an adult. God love you for hanging around for 7 years...I'd have been gone in a year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tallulah

Feb 14, 2018
midwest
✟16,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
>>Did he ever allude to why it would lead to that? Most people would think that if you talk through problems you might solve some. Do you ever wind up yelling or fighting over problems? Does he seem to discuss things with other people (family members of his or yours, or friends?)
<<
I think its because we rarely talk about it and when we do, I unload and am emotional. When this happens we can easily talk for hours and get nowhere. I try not to cry and accuse but its so difficult not to express how I feel. There is no name calling, yelling or meanness by either of us. He talks to no one about our problems and I don't either. I think he would if there was a mature Christian that he respected and could keep up with him intellectually. There is no one in my life that I trust to go to that can offer unbiased counseling. I had been searching for mature Christian women that I can be open with but have to admit that I kind of gave up on it. I usually meet women in need and my focus has been on their lives, studying with them and bringing them to Christ.

>>What kind of things has he been working on? His own business? Jobs?
<<
He is a writer and a good one. It was why I was supportive in the beginning but he would always start a new book and never finish the one he had started. None of them have been completed. I would say he probably has 8 going. Things come up that derail him easily like not getting enough sleep or even our marriage issues can make him uneasy to the point of getting physically sick. He only focuses on the people in need in his life, evangelism, these books and his websites. Everything else is put aside for that and left for me to take care of. He has a theology degree and leads a house church as well.

>>Please explain. Do you mean he mentally dwells on it? If it is part time he wouldn't be gone that much. Or is it a scheduling issue where you don't see each other?
<<
It just takes him a long time to do anything. Preparing to go to work takes a long time. Its not easy for him to focus on things when his mind is all over the place. When getting home he has to relax and unwind. If I ask him a bunch of questions when he walks in the door he gets very irritated.

>>You do need one, or else it would not be hurting you. It is OK to feel that way. You are not being greedy, but you are noting that he is choosing other things over you. Giving toys to children is a good thing. But you generally give to charity after you have supported yourself and your family. You should both have a wedding ring. Even if it is one of the affordable ones from Walmart, just so that folks know you are married. Does he have a ring?
>>
Thank you, that is nice to hear. I haven't told him how I feel about that. He doesn't want a ring. He does not like to wear jewelry.

>>What kind of things does he do with his time? Does he do any housework at all? Any cooking? Do you have any children?
<<
He works out at the gym to help with his back issues. He helps people when they need him. He doesn't do anything to help out with the house except snow removal and lawn mowing. I usually end up doing those too because he isn't on the ball to get them done so I just do it myself. Sometimes I regret asking him for help with some of the more "man chores" around the house because I hear about how it messed up his back later or how helping me had some kind of negative effect on him. Then I feel bad and decide its easier just to do everything myself or hire someone if I can't. We don't have children.

>>Is he wanting to be in some kind of counseling or ministry field? In any case the Scriptures speak to this issue:

2 Thessalonians 3:6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, 9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us. 10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread.

Paul preached to many people, but he also worked.

In the context of providing support for needy widows Paul also stated:

I Timothy 3:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

There are exceptions if he cannot physically or mentally work due to disability. But you are right to expect him to work if he can. And if he is going to do ministry he can do it in the time after he works. And in many cases, you have opportunity to speak to the people you work with as you develop relationships with them.
<<
I have brought that up too and in his defense he is working but just not getting paid for it. He also says women supported Jesus and that was acceptable. He doesn't compare himself to Jesus but uses that as a model of acceptance about that topic. His desire is to bring many people into Christ as he can. I admire that about him and its a big part of why I love him but... I think he feels there should be no "but" at the end of that sentence.

>>This is where folks were wondering if this is manipulation. It is not a question of only loving him if he makes money. If he loves you he would want to help out with the finances. On the other hand, if you make plenty of money and you do not need the money he would provide, then he should be taking on the majority of the work at home so you do not have to do both. Either arrangement has worked for families. But you are correct that it is not reasonable to expect he would do nothing to help the family. If he is avoiding talking about it because he knows he would be called on his doing nothing, that is likely explaining why he won't deal with it.

Does he show signs of depression? Does he go do activities other than work or housework?

If he is legitimately trying to find work and the job market is bad, etc. and he cannot, that is one thing. But if he refuses to work outside of the home or inside and does not help you with any of the burden, that is not being fair.
<<
If there is manipulation I don't feel he purposely knows he's doing it. I think he is doing what he thinks is best and is ok with laying a lot of the burden on me that he could minimize or help me with. I make a decent salary but lately have had to dip into my savings to pay bills each month. It's my fault because while he was working I got him a car thinking he was going to make the payment. He was let go of his job, hasn't been looking for a new one and now I am stuck with that payment. I am trying to sell the car but its been difficult to sell without taking a financial hit for it. He is depressed but not in any way that would be noticeable to anyone but me. He never dwells on anything concerning himself. He is very energetic, and usually in a good mood.

Do you go to a church? Is the pastor aware of this state of things? Do any of your family or his family ask him why he is not working? If so, how does he respond to them?

I live in a small area and have visited most of the churches. I/We haven't found one so that is why we have a house church. My family thinks I shouldn't support him and feel bad for me. He has no family, I am all he's got. His father committed suicide, his mother left him and his evil step mother raised him and his step father is in prison. His grandparents were murdered. He has been on his own since 15. Considering all things, he is a very strong person and never looks back. The church took him in and that had been his family. Since then he has moved around a lot and has stayed in this area because of me (according to him).

Thank you for responding, its really nice to feel like someone cares and is listening.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think its because we rarely talk about it and when we do, I unload and am emotional. When this happens we can easily talk for hours and get nowhere. I try not to cry and accuse but its so difficult not to express how I feel. There is no name calling, yelling or meanness by either of us. He talks to no one about our problems and I don't either. I think he would if there was a mature Christian that he respected and could keep up with him intellectually. There is no one in my life that I trust to go to that can offer unbiased counseling. I had been searching for mature Christian women that I can be open with but have to admit that I kind of gave up on it. I usually meet women in need and my focus has been on their lives, studying with them and bringing them to Christ.

So none of the people in the house church are mature Christians? If you are planting a house church that is understandable if they are all just starting out in the faith.

Have you looked for a Christian counselor in your area?

He is a writer and a good one. It was why I was supportive in the beginning but he would always start a new book and never finish the one he had started. None of them have been completed. I would say he probably has 8 going.

He may have a talent with words, but writers actually complete things and share them with others. That is the point of writing. If he never finishes anything he is not a writer, and he has to come to terms with that. If his writing is theological this is particularly true. Unfinished works don't help anyone.

Has he considered writing smaller format items such as articles that could be published? Does he write a blog? Some of these can be monetized. Focusing on smaller writing projects that he can actually complete might make more sense.

Things come up that derail him easily like not getting enough sleep or even our marriage issues can make him uneasy to the point of getting physically sick. He only focuses on the people in need in his life, evangelism, these books and his websites. Everything else is put aside for that and left for me to take care of. He has a theology degree and leads a house church as well.

What kind of websites does he run?

The housechurch is unwilling or unable to pay him I would imagine?

It just takes him a long time to do anything. Preparing to go to work takes a long time. Its not easy for him to focus on things when his mind is all over the place. When getting home he has to relax and unwind. If I ask him a bunch of questions when he walks in the door he gets very irritated.

Do you not feel like you have to unwind after work and doing the housework? That is part of adapting to life. Sometimes you get down time, sometimes you do not. But right now it sounds like he is not striking a balance between work and other things. His ministry activities are valid. And a worker is worthy of his hire, per Scripture. But if the church is unwilling or unable to pay him then he needs to support himself. If that means he has to cut back on ministry, then that is the reality. Over time as he gets accustomed to work he can become more efficient at organizing his day.

But if he is so disorganized that he cannot function in part time work easily it is unrealistic to expect he will self-motivate enough to finish writing a book. And after you finish writing it there is the daunting task of marketing it as well. It would probably be best for him to work part-time, abandon the notion of writing as it is not happening, and commit to ministry at the level he is able to.

Thank you, that is nice to hear. I haven't told him how I feel about that. He doesn't want a ring. He does not like to wear jewelry.
Is this for theological reasons or just a preference? If he just doesn't like Jewelry, etc. another option is that they make silicone bands for people who work with their hands. They are relatively cheap, still serve the purpose of letting women know you are taken, and you barely notice they are there. If he works with his hands or goes to the gym they don't have the problem of digging into your hands or injuring you, so you can leave them on.

At this point you may want to even consider foregoing tradition and get each of you one so that you have a ring. Does he object to you wearing jewelry based on a reading of I Timothy 2:9, or I Peter 3? Even so, this wouldn't be gold, so there would be no real objection. It is not for looks or pride, just a sign of commitment.

I have brought that up too and in his defense he is working but just not getting paid for it. He also says women supported Jesus and that was acceptable. He doesn't compare himself to Jesus but uses that as a model of acceptance about that topic. His desire is to bring many people into Christ as he can. I admire that about him and its a big part of why I love him but... I think he feels there should be no "but" at the end of that sentence.

Jesus didn't have a house either. Nor did He have a wife. And there were multiple people contributing to his ministry. Point out to him this text:

20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

If he wanted to wander the countryside being taken in by those who support his ministry, that would have been biblical. If a number of believers want to contribute to support his work, that is biblical. If he wants his wife to pay for everything and he does not provide for his immediate family, that is not biblical. Jesus referenced that some become eunuchs for the kingdom of God in Matthew 19. In I Corinthians 7 Paul indicates that some have the gift of remaining single to devote themselves to ministry. But he did not choose that life. He chose marriage. And that involves necessarily caring for his wife.

I live in a small area and have visited most of the churches. I/We haven't found one so that is why we have a house church.

Unfortunately in this case it means you have no recourse to a pastor who could help intervene. A Christian counselor in the area may be an option.

My family thinks I shouldn't support him and feel bad for me. He has no family, I am all he's got. His father committed suicide, his mother left him and his evil step mother raised him and his step father is in prison. His grandparents were murdered. He has been on his own since 15. Considering all things, he is a very strong person and never looks back. The church took him in and that had been his family. Since then he has moved around a lot and has stayed in this area because of me (according to him).

It sounds like he may be avoiding dealing with some of the issues in his life. It is good that he has a new church family and that he has you. And in Christ he has love that is so unlike that of the people closest to him in childhood. On the other hand to say the least these events would all involve trauma. And he may still have work to do in coming to terms with this.

When he was dealing with abandonment and suicide (another form of abandonment) this often makes the person question whether he did enough to prevent it (it is not his fault, he was only a child, but this can be the result). When he was dealing with step parents who were difficult he may have developed the tendency to be a people pleaser partly out of self-defense, again thinking that it was up to him to regulate their behavior (it was not, he was a child). Some of his devotion to helping others may be a continuation of patterns he developed, helping people, trying to make them happy, pleasing them, trying to fix them and fix the situation. And in itself that is not bad at all, it is a loving thing to do. His passion for it likely stems from some of the pain he has had, and his desire to try to help others with pain.

However, in all of this, his childhood, his trauma, he never saw what responsibility looked like. His father took his life rather than taking responsibility. His mother abandoned him rather than take responsibility. His stepfather was in jail and could not take responsibility. His step mother was apparently cruel to him, though a child.

He learned how to make people happy, because folks in abusive or traumatic situations have to to survive. But he didn't learn what it means to become an adult. He needs to continue his walk in Christ and include that. The Scriptures are clear that this involves work. While it may take time for him to get accustomed to it he will learn to organize his day if he continues working. And he can still do some ministry as well. But he needs to learn responsibility. It is understandable that he would have a difficult time doing this. He never saw it modeled, never had someone who cared about him and took care of him. Now you are doing that for him. You are filling that need. You are taking care of him and loving him in a way he never experienced before . But if he truly wants to be a minister, he must model this to others. He must learn not just to minister to people's spiritual needs, but to be an example of taking care of his family, so they see what this looks like. This is the next step in fixing his broken past. He can be what his parents were not. And he can model this for his congregation. That is what it means in I Timothy, that an elder must manage his household well. He must learn to model that as well as to preach.

Thank you for responding, its really nice to feel like someone cares and is listening.

You are welcome, and people here are praying for you both.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, maybe it’s me, but I read that post and it seems fairly painfully obvious the man is dealing with what appears to be crippling depression and lack of self-worth. Until he tackles that, there isn’t much that will change. A lot of the crossed wires that come up in “I need help maintaining our household” and “you only want me for money” will keep happening and likely worsen.

You can charge him rent and divide household expenses in half if you want, but if you do, you may as well pack his bags for him too. That isn’t how spouses treat each other. And it’s all well and good to say you will do what you will and if he leaves, it’s on him... But that’s not how marriage works either. If you put somebody on a ledge, it’s not like you can say “well, that’s on them” if they jump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tallulah

Feb 14, 2018
midwest
✟16,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted to give a quick update. I may post more later but prayers have been answered. Thank you to all who have prayed. *hugs* There is still a tough road ahead of us but at least I can clearly see the path we need to be on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums