✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Desktop Publishing
“What is required is sight and insight. Then you might add one more: excite.”
—Robert Frost
Few entrepreneurs have the wherewithal to start companies that could compete with firms the size of Boeing or General Motors. However, there are times when new technologies open markets that can be captured by the company ready to fill the void. Such was the case with the computing industry in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Apple Computers grew from a small garage workshop to compete with IBM, while fledgling companies such as Microsoft provided innovative software that drove the new industry. One potentially lucrative new market made possible by advances in personal computing was desktop publishing, a term coined by Aldus Corporation’s Paul Brainerd. Desktop publishing enables the operator of a personal computer, using special software, to create sophisticated layouts that formerly could be produced only by expensive publishing equipment.
Aldus was formed by former employees of Atex, Inc., a manufacturer of publishing systems for newspapers. Brainerd and four other executives saw an opportunity to create a publishing system that would work with microcomputers. In order to form an alliance with a major computer maker, they convinced the people at Apple Computers that desktop publishing would be viable. When Apple introduced its Macintosh personal computer, a capability that set it apart from other computers was Aldus’s desktop publishing software, called PageMaker. Since almost every business had a need for brochures, newsletters, pamphlets, and reports, the market was ripe. Aldus sold over 50,000 copies of PageMaker in it first eighteen months of production.
Consider This: What innovations in technology are opening up possibilities for new products? How can you capitalize on these product possibilities?
Submitted by Richard

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well now...if it's computers, forget it. I am sooo computer challenged, to put it nicely. :D I will think further about your question how I can capitalize on new/innovative products. Aside from buying them, I assume. :)

It is so good to have you posting your stories! Doing a dance of joy...

-Peace-

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Well now...if it's computers, forget it. I am sooo computer challenged, to put it nicely. :D I will think further about your question how I can capitalize on new/innovative products. Aside from buying them, I assume. :)

It is so good to have you posting your stories! Doing a dance of joy...

-Peace-
I go where God lead me..

Upvote 0