• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Desiring to be rich is a snare.

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by W2L, Oct 31, 2017.

1. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+3,101
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I agree with Paul. And your posts are flawless, when they entail only scripture with no additions or subtractions...

2. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    The only command in that verse is to remember God. That's a bad thing?

3. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    oh, i didn't know that i was that wrong. Perhaps you could explain to me why Paul teaches Timothy to be content with food and clothing, and to flee from the desire to be rich?

4. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    Read the whole chapter.

Deuteronomy 8:8 “Every commandment which I command you today you must be careful to observe, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers. 2 And you shall remember that the Lord your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

6 “Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him.

11 “Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today, 12 lest—when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them; 13 and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied; 14 when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

5. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,843
    Christian
    Married
    There are so many ministries today that from the out side looking in.. are rich. They didnt SEEK IT. And to look from the outside in..not knowing them at all or seeing where ANY of that money came from. Not knowing how many STILL work out side of that Church <---do you know how many DON'T Know this? Yet judge them thinking they are RICH because PEOPLE gave money to that Church. Yet what they personally have was never money from the Church.

So if I seek to be rich I will get what our brother Paul said. If you believe you are to just make it by or poor or rich. Praise GOD. A... He never made me your God. Never told me to tell you what you REALLY should be believing. Its only when you ask.. I then have the right to speak His word His truth. Christians do this all the time.. this site does it. Its our personally beliefs that we tell others how to live. Yet.. its clear in the word..no one has a right to tell anyone what GOD is REALLY saying.

Man your streets are made of GOLD! Hello? Jesus told you.. WHERE is your real home? This is NOT your home. your NOT of this world? We limit a limitless GOD. Go for it.. show GOD you have no limit to your faith and see what He can do. For me.. if He makes me rich.. it is for one reason only. For others.. then.. at the end. Is me. You are FREE to not take ANYTHING God wants to give you.

6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    Who is judging in that manner?

7. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,296
    Christian
    Married
    What do you think that verse means?

8. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    He who gathered much had nothing left over. It seems to suggest that we shouldn't have any wealth left over, and that agrees with the Lord who said not to store wealth on earth but in heaven.

9. RDKirk

+11,296
    Christian
    Married
    The church I attended in the early 90s--Calvary Chapel of Honolulu under pastor Bill Stonebraker--had that function. It was called "House of Ruth," with confidential safehouses provided by empty-nesters.

It was operated in concert with the church's Security Ministry and Counseling Ministry.

The pastor's wife was the deconess in charge of the program. When an abused wife was discovered in need of shelter (and they were pro-active about discovering it), the Security Ministry (made up of soldiers, nightclub bouncers, football players, police officers, and such) went in and moved the woman and children to a safehouse while the husband was away.

Then the Counseling Ministry (trained therapists and counselors...and some police officers) waited in the house for the husband to return.

"Who are you? Where is my wife?"
    "Our dear sister is safe. And she's going to remain safe. But we're going to talk."

They also used the House of Ruth for the women who responded to their ministry to the Hotel Street prostitutes. They realized it was useless for a woman to come to Jesus and they send her back to her pimp...they had to take her off the streets to where they had medical support, job training, job offers, counseling in life skills, et cetera.

10. RDKirk

+11,296
    Christian
    Married
    Paul says, "As it has been written." That's a reference to Exodus 16--the story of the manna in the Wilderness.

In that story, God specifies that each person is to have precisely the same amount of daily bread: One omer, precisely, for each person. An omer is about a quart.

It then says that some people collected "much"--that would be more than one omer--and some collected "little"--that would be less than an omer.

But it says that when all the manna was measured out, each person got exactly one omer...no one got too much (more than one omer) and no one got too little (less than an omer).

So, with that reference as his foundation, Paul stated:

It is not that there may be relief for others and hardship for you, but it is a question of equality— at the present time your surplus is available for their need, so their abundance may also become available for our need, so there may be equality.

Equality. He says it twice, he doubles down to emphasize it, and then he underlines it with an OT verse that specifies a measured equal amount distributed to each person, no matter how much or how little each person personally collected.

And Paul is most certainly talking about money.

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    I agree.

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,696
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Wow, they really had it covered, help for all in need even the offender. imo, every community should have such a coordinated and proactive program.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  13. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    So you have a problem with remembering that everything we have comes from God and we are to be thankful to Him for all he’s provided? I thank Him daily for His blessings, both in this life and the next.

14. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    Where did you get that from?

15. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    Ive been called judgmental, covetous, jealous, and now ungrateful. Wow.

16. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Your objection to my posting that verse. If not, again I’ll ask, what exactly is your objection to that verse?

17. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    You lost me. What verse?

18. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Keep clicking the up arrows in the quotes. You’ll work back to it.

19. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,870
    Christian
    Private
    I did. Still dont know what you are talking about.

20. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    I don’t know what to tell you. You quoted and responded to it.