• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Desiring to be rich is a snare.

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by W2L, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+460
    Christian
    Married
    I'm in the process of de-wealthing.

Strange thing is the more I disinvest, the more I'm getting. I've lost count of the trips to exotic countries I've been to this year. Tried to send others to do the work, but nobody could go.

I've lost count of the new electronic geegaws landing in my plate without asking.

This is just the desirable things. As for daily necessities, dunt even ask.

2. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Dont worry, I didnt understand it at first either. We have to eat the whole book, not just parts of it as it falls in line with our personal beliefs.

"17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him."

I say we've belabored this topic long enough....Maybe we should just start praying like that other poster.

3. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This is a law that wont be broken. The more you give the more you receive. If you want to be poor outwardly, you have to stop giving, start holding unto what you have, and start speaking negatively of people who have material wealth.

I've never been anywhere exotic.....because I dont desire it. But Im happy that you get to go. If I ever start to want it, all I have to do is Ask my Father for it and he Will give it to me. Therefore, there is no need for me to desire what you have.

4. claninja

claninja Well-Known Member

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    This is not the best argument to use, as the same could be used of you. So let's stick to objectivity, as we do not personally know each.

I get what you are saying and it is very true. If we stop helping and loving our neighbors, we will be spiritually poor (lacking Christ as our true treasure). But the OP is on physical worldly wealth (earthly possessions) and how can be a snare.

Again I understand what you are saying. But the OP is on 1 timothy 6, which is about physical "green" money and material wealth.

yes, as the treasure is Christ

No, it's not at all.
    It's more like not caring about worldly wealth because Christ is the true treasure.

Money is one aspect, anything selfish really.

The OP is about physical material wealth and how it can be a snare. Above, you stated you do not believe it is money.

Are you sure about that?

Again, not the purpose of the OP. So I will try to make it clear for you.

Do you think earthly wealth and possessions can be a dangerous snare?

5. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    Wow, what a misquoting of scripture.

6. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've stated many times that the verse in the OP is true, it can be a snare. ...which is why i dont get why you guys are replying to me.... But we shifted from that fact, to personally opinions of the carnality of people that are rich as a whole. It became about rich being wrong and poor right. This is the only thing i dont agree with.

I've already posted, as well, about why it is pointless to desire riches. It is like desiring an apple that is on your table. If you want it, go eat it! dont just sit there desiring to eat it, or looking at others eating the apples they desire, or questioning how many apples they have....

7. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    Outwardly or Inwardly?

8. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I wasnt quoting scripture here. You see, when you are reading a story, you usually put Quotes around the parts where a person is talking.....it is not always a quotation from another source.

A verse can have many meanings......the meaning you receive depend on your level of understanding. For now wealth and riches mean physical green paper. In the future, maybe it will mean more than that.

9. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    Yea, Paul should never have wrote a scripture judging false teachers who promote wealth. Who was he to judge who is wealthy and who is not?

10. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    So where did you get this from, if it wasn't from scripture?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  11. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    i still see no fault in your views. Have a nice day.

12. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    No, it never did.

13. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
    Desiring to be rich is a snare and the apostles warn us. Somehow you have twisted this teaching in a way that would cause one to ignore the Lords teaching.

14. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    But if a Christian teacher comes and tells us if we desire earthly wealth we should take it, that is wrong. If we see other Christians desiring to be wealthy with earthly possessions, that is wrong and we are to correct. If we a see a Christian hoarding many earthly possessions, while turning a blind eye to the poor, that it wrong, and we are to correct.

Anyone who teaches otherwise is a false teacher, according to Paul in 1 timothy 6.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I encourage you to continue to do that you feel is right in your heart. Please disregard my previous posts.

16. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What you stated here and in the OP is correct. I can understand why you feel I have twisted it. Please disregard my previous posts. thank you

17. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    Another false teaching. Christians should not encourage this. This is what the world encourages.

Jeremiah 17:9
    The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?

18. RaymondG

+2,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You are right again. CF is a better place because you are here. Good luck to you.

19. claninja

+1,456
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you and I hope your walk continues to grow in the Lord

20. ToBeLoved

ToBeLoved Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,624
    Non-Denom
    Private
    What is material is often at odds with the spiritual. Paul is not wrong.

Jesus said do not store earthly treasures but treasures in heaven.

Jesus went farther
    And said His Kingdom is not here either.

You guys who love your stuff do what you want but own where your treasure is.