• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Desiring to be rich is a snare.

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by W2L, Oct 31, 2017.

1. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,724
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So to be carnally minded is right?

2. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Being carnally minded isn't wrong?

3. claninja

claninja Well-Known Member

+1,445
    Christian
    Married
    According to the OP rich folks who live in mansions are carnally minded. According to the OP again he was thinking of the rich and famous who live in mansions defined as 8,000 square foot. He is not saying being rich is wrong. Is it wrong to be middle class in America? (middle class people are among the richest in the world). What is wrong is to desire wealth, to desire an 8,000 square foot home. That is what the world desires, to be wealthy with possessions. But we are not to be of this world.

4. claninja

+1,445
    Christian
    Married
    Never said being carnally minded isn't wrong
    see post #183

5. ToBeLoved

ToBeLoved Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,433
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think the problem with being rich is number one you have to keep up with it and two when you are afraid of loosing it.

It also takes focus away from dire need which we often forget esp in the US

6. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Okie dokie then, could you please provide us a checklist of right/wrong attributes pertaining to wealth? Because the OP seems to flip-flop between "anything more than food and clothing" to "8,000 square foot house" when his own measure is turned inward.

No wonder Jesus rebuked the Pharisees.

7. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    If you read my posts you will note that i never mentioned salvation.

8. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    being rich isnt wrong, but living the lifestyle of the rich and famous is not the faith i read about in scripture.

9. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Thats not a flip flop.

10. RaymondG

+2,724
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So you can have money as long as you dont use it on yourself, is what you are saying?

11. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Then a convenient shifting of the goal posts...back and forth, again and again.

12. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    You can do anything you want. Where your treasure is so is your heart.

13. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    lol
    , nope. You are creating a strawman.

14. claninja

+1,445
    Christian
    Married
    I don't think a check list is needed to know that desiring earthly wealth is a snare. You can continue to argue with OP over little details about what defines wealth, but that will both get you know where.

15. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    If one is going to judge someone (they're never met no less) based on a certain level of material wealth, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for them to define that level. Otherwise we don't have a theological discussion; we have a Bernie rally.

16. claninja

+1,445
    Christian
    Married
    Which individual was the op judging?

17. Phil 1:21

+4,328
    Christian
    Married

18. RaymondG

+2,724
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Seems you aren't willing to give answers any more. Are you saying that if I am rich yet don't live a rich life, my treasures are still not in heaven?

If you wish to remain vague, so to not lose the recent supporter you have, I understand. They don't seem to understand you totally so it's best not to state your view blatantly making their support be in vain.

19. RaymondG

+2,724
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Which is a shame. I admired your determination and strong stance in previous threads... lukewarm is not a good look.

20. claninja

+1,445
    Christian
    Married
    So not and individual like I asked, but a generalized group of individuals choosing to live for wealth?