Lodi, California
✟15,280.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband and I started reading this book together recently, about a chapter a week, and are up to chapter three right now. We think it has been very good and I have found it to be a powerful and inspiring read so far (although I do tire of the incessant use of the terms "Christian Hedonism" and "Christian Hedonist").

I was just wondering if anyone else has read this, and if so, what you thought about it (This is the first Piper book that I have read, and I am not quite sure what to think yet).

Thanks!

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I started reading this book together recently, about a chapter a week, and are up to chapter three right now. We think it has been very good and I have found it to be a powerful and inspiring read so far (although I do tire of the incessant use of the terms "Christian Hedonism" and "Christian Hedonist").

I was just wondering if anyone else has read this, and if so, what you thought about it (This is the first Piper book that I have read, and I am not quite sure what to think yet).

Thanks!

Good Day, Sobria

I have not read it, but given it is Piper I would image it is quite good.

Do you find the term problematic?

What Is Christian Hedonism?

My shortest summary of Christian Hedonism is: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.
We all make a god out of what we take the most pleasure in. Christian Hedonists want to make God their God by seeking after the greatest pleasure—pleasure in him.
By Christian Hedonism, we do not mean that our happiness is the highest good. We mean that pursuing the highest good will always result in our greatest happiness in the end. We should pursue this happiness, and pursue it with all our might. The desire to be happy is a proper motive for every good deed, and if you abandon the pursuit of your own joy you cannot love man or please God.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1538_Christian_Hedonism/

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

SobriaInebrietas

Jun 7, 2006
Lodi, California
✟15,280.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good Day, Sobria

I have not read it, but given it is Piper I would image it is quite good.

Do you find the term problematic?

What Is Christian Hedonism?

My shortest summary of Christian Hedonism is: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.
We all make a god out of what we take the most pleasure in. Christian Hedonists want to make God their God by seeking after the greatest pleasure—pleasure in him.
By Christian Hedonism, we do not mean that our happiness is the highest good. We mean that pursuing the highest good will always result in our greatest happiness in the end. We should pursue this happiness, and pursue it with all our might. The desire to be happy is a proper motive for every good deed, and if you abandon the pursuit of your own joy you cannot love man or please God.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1538_Christian_Hedonism/

In Him,

Bill

Hi Bill!

It's not that I found the term problematic (I did purchase the newer version with the explaination and defense of the use of the term, plus some other added information), I guess it just... sounds weird... to me anyway - I can't imagine ever wanting to use it to describe myself as he does in the book (for me to say I am a Christian, or a Reformed Christian, should be enough).

Anyway, thanks though, for the link too! I didn't know the book had a website.

:)

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bill!

It's not that I found the term problematic (I did purchase the newer version with the explaination and defense of the use of the term, plus some other added information), I guess it just... sounds weird... to me anyway - I can't imagine ever wanting to use it to describe myself as he does in the book (for me to say I am a Christian, or a Reformed Christian, should be enough).

Anyway, thanks though, for the link too! I didn't know the book had a website.

:)

Good Day, Sobria

When I first heard the term, I was a bit taken back by it.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2003
Centralia, WA
Visit site
✟261.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thanks!
I have read the book a few times and highly recommend it! Piper has a real passion for the Glory of God. He is definitely a gifted Preacher and Theologian.

Upvote 0

SatisfiedNHim

Oct 31, 2010
USA
✟15,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read it as an arminian and it rocked my world a bit... :) I understand the "overuse" of "Christian hedonist", but I think his purpose in that is to call you back as often as possible to the definition. Because we are not used to the term, it takes a number of chapters to drill the concept into our heads. Hearing the term used over and over again forced me to go back and say, "What does he really mean by this?" It's a life altering book... Highly recommend Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" as well as "The Pleasures of God".

Upvote 0

Kennesaw42

Shepherd's Crook, Roughly Hewn
Jan 5, 2011
Western USA
✟7,771.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Sister Sobria and Brethren:
If you want a real blessing, treat yourself to one of Piper's sermons, especially those from the recent years of ministry (I think he has gotten better with age!), which are available, in audio, video, and pdf, in the Resources section of the Desiring God website.

Upvote 0