Desire to pray in tongues, but unable to...

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Recently I have experienced a growing desire to pray in tongues, but I don't know how or if I have the gift?

It would be amazing to be enabled by the HS.

My question is how can I figure out if I'm blessed with the gift or not?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

-God bless

• Prayers
Reactions: Daniel Marsh

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Recently I have experienced a growing desire to pray in tongues, but I don't know how or if I have the gift?

-God bless

If you're not able to speak in tongues, that's a good sign that you don't have the gift of speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

-God bless

I got the holy ghost speaking in tongues and I noticed in worship I tend to speak in tongues more then others in my church. Then later one night I was praying as usual when I noticed I was praying in tongues like 100%. I would think something in my mind to say to God and yeah tongues would just come out.

One important thing to remember is once you get to holy ghost you are praying in the holy ghost but not all pray the same way. Some stand up, some sit down, some like myself walk etc.

Same goes for operating in the holy ghost, some pray with words coming out and some burst of unknown tongues, some like myself God gives ability to pray in all tongues (like it's crazy I can just be praying for my food and tongue come out as soon as I have that connection with God).

So yeah you can seek to pray in the holy ghost and then maybe God could bless with yeah prayer in tongues. I believe this is how it works cause I never asked for that or prophecy, yet God is stirring both. What I simply did though was ask for spiritual gifts that I could utilize to build his kingdom, just do that and see what God has for you.

God bless man

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord. Seek to develop those.

Speaking in tongues is a rare thing for me. Not something I plan in advance. It happens sometimes when I am praying but mostly it doesn't. Some of that may be that I'm a pretty inhibited kind of guy who doesn't raise my hands and sway around a lot. Some of it may be that I have sought after the gifts listed above, from Isaiah chapter 11. I have at least a tiny amount of those gifts, and wish for more.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If you're not able to speak in tongues, that's a good sign that you don't have the gift of speaking in tongues.
Much like falling off the rope a lot is a good sing one is not cut out to be a tightrope walker.

It's sort of silly to say out loud, yet very correct.

Paul speaks of gifts of the Holy Spirit and includes tongues. In the same passage, Paul identifies 'tongues' as the least of the Spiritual Gifts and encourages Christians to seek prophesy rather than tongues. The entire passage is a lengthy one, not just a single verse suitable for a bumper sticker. (I get so annoyed with 'bumper-sticker' thinking!)

1st Corinthians 12; the whole chapter. Then the 13th Chapter on love, which is part of the whole and explains the concept behind Gods "gifts". Then all of Chapter 14, ending with verses 37-40.

"Tongues" are real, but more for unbelievers and new converts. The other gifts of the Spirit are for believers and dedicated followers.

I suggest you pray for whatever God has for you to make you complete and a prepared worker. Don't limit God.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Sorry that I rained on your parade in my earlier post. The apostle Paul says it is good to seek out such things as you ask for. So here's an option for you. Seek out a 'Life in the Spirit Seminar' and attend that. It's a multisession kind of thing that will not teach you how to pray in tongues but will perhaps enliven your prayer life. For a good traditional Catholic there shouldn't be anything new, but a good review from a charismatic angle.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,062,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would highly recommend dwelling in an atmosphere of praise...

10 And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the Lord, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the Lord, after the ordinance of David king of Israel.
11 And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the Lord; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.
12 But many of the priests and Levites and chief of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted aloud for joy:
13 So that the people could not discern the noise of the shout of joy from the noise of the weeping of the people: for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the noise was heard afar off. - Ezra 3

12 Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets...
13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the Lord, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord;
14 So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God. - 2 Chronicles 5

• Agree
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for taking that time to reply, it's very much appreciated ;)

I'm a tad busy right now, but I'll go through all responses more carefully in the evening and reply accordingly.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not long after I became a Christian I also was really drawn to desiring to pray in tongues. A friend prayed for me, but I was unsure what to do. However, when I was alone at home, I said to God, somewhat nervously, something like 'Right then, I am going to open my mouth and start speaking, and if turns out to be gobble-de-gook,then it'll be your fault!' Or something like that. Ok, I know that sounds rather disrespectful, but of course I had to rely on the Holy Spirit to give me and enable this gift, and I believed that He could. But I didn't want to seem like a fool if it didn't 'work'.
Anyhow, it was amazing, I just started speaking and this language came out, and somehow I could tell it was praise. Since then, I've used it in intercession and when not sure what to pray, also in what is generally termed 'spiritual warfare'. It is so useful. I normally pray in tongues when praying alone, or maybe with one or two others if we are praying together. Other people may use it in a church setting as directed by God.
In Scripture, it says that it can be used for building oneself up (or edifying). Not everyone has this gift, but if you feel very drawn to it, then I would think that the Holy Spirit wants you to have it. So, whilst not suggesting that you should approach God in quite the way that I did, then I would certainly try and find a way, if you are sure that God wants you to have that gift.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
MOD HAT

Posts have been removed for teaching against the SOP.

If you are not a member of this Faith group, you may only post in agreement or fellowship.

You may not debate or teach against this forum's beliefs or the OP topic.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Stabat Mater

Have you received the gift of tongues yet?

When I wanted to speak in tongues, I had to pray and seek God for months before he finally told me I would receive it... even then I had to wait another 2 months and on the very day he told me I would receive I did.

Don't give up if you haven't Spoken in tongues yet!

• Winner
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Such desires are often driven by the ego in order to impress others.

St John of the Cross advises detachment from "appetites"(the ego wasn't understood at his time), even those of the religious nature.

The desire of healthy spirituality is to align one's will with that of Jesus Christ.

This means, detaching from the things that are of our own creation and seeking God as God is, not the image we created of Him.

Pray for the ability to discern God's will alone.

If praying in tongues is His will for you, it will happen and will benefit others around you, which is the real purpose of the gift.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
When I went for the gift of tongues I got prayer from a young man in the Spirit, he said, each word would be different. Then an older man prayed and said look to Jesus like when he walked on water. Still no tongues then. Then outside of a church in which there was spiritual abuse, I attended a conference. At this conference an older man with that talent, of the Holy Spirit coming when he asked, after preaching about Sanbalat and building the walls without Satan, layed hands on my jaw or neck and I prayed a word in tongues. I could not do so at will. A year later I attended one of his meetings and asked to be able to pray at will, and then I did. Not quite every word is different.

For others they only have one word, but if they ask the Spirit they can be released into more. It is a releasing rather than a pushing. Some people can see the words pictured in their mind.

Upvote 0