America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The new LB book. Don't shoot. I do read them, but only for entertainment purposes. :)

I just started the new one and have only been through a few chapters, but guess what I found?

Our fundamentalist heroes making the sign of the cross and collecting relics.

Whodathunkit?? :eek:

I wonder what else they'll 'take over' as 'ok' for believers?

God bless...

Sandy

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, maybe the authors caught some heat from Catholics about how in Book 4 they revealed that the Catholic Church was the One World Religion set up by the Anti-Christ.

I dunno, I'm torn. I loved the storyline, though some of the text seems a bit simplistic and elementary. And there's the fact we don't accept the Rapture as a biblical teaching.

How is the book?

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's ok. The biggest improvement so far has been the absence of the endless detailed plot 'catch-ups' from the previous books. But significant characters are dropping like flies to no apparent purpose. :/

I know some ppl put these books on the shelf right next to their Bible. :rolleyes: To me it's no better (and somewhat worse) than any other modern fiction. Certainly the dialogue is a bit lame, but the story line itself is ok.

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0

Kirkland1244

Feb 20, 2002
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Anglican
No doubt the evil men behind that series are simply trying to lure more Catholics into buying their Rapture garbage. The irony, Catholics spending $30 to support men who take that money and use it to finance their blatantly anti-Catholic "non-fiction" works.

We shouldn't wish for bad things to happen to anyone, but its very hard when dealing with trash like LaHaye and Jenkins.

Kirk

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I really have not run out and purchased that book because I know what those two authors are about. They profit from spreading misinformation about the Catholic Church.

Not to mention, Lehaye has published books specifically against the Catholic Church. I know that one person cannot harm the Catholic Church. Heck, the gate of hell have no power against God's church. So, I plan not to share my hard earned cash with someone who thinks they've pulled one over on the Catholics.

Unfortunately a lot of Catholics have fallen in love with those books and bought into the Rapture theory - and its a theory folks. The Rapture appears no where in the bible.

Envoy Magazine is supposed to have an article this month that reviews the LB Book series. Its critical to say the least.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't buy the books either. My mom lends me hers. :)

And, hey! Speaking of the Rapture...wasn't that supposed to happen today? Some quack site that got posted over at Catholic Truth said that Nov. 20 would be a BIG day for all of us believers. Have I missed something on the news? :p

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it was supposed to be "The Warning"...where time would freeze and we would all see our sins, how they harmed others and harmed our relationship with God.

I saw something like it in "Pierced By The Sword".

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now, those were pretty good books. We ordered all three from Catholicity, and my husband and I both enjoyed them. What I really liked about them is that Bud Jr. wasn't trying to make a killing from them like some other 'Christian' authors * cough*LaHayeandJenkins*cough* that we know. :) In fact I'm thinking of ordering some of the inspirational and instructional tapes they have over there. Have you got any?

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, good tapes for a donation!

I think we heard one on Purgatory and on Mary. I'm still trying to start House of Gold, but I enjoyed "Pierced". And was Bud Jr. charitable to the Protestants in that story or what?

Another great site is www.CatholicExchange.com.

They have bible studies by Scott Hahn, Mike Shea and other Catholic Apologists. Its very structured and organized, and they have one for the family too. I am currently working on the Romans study with a group made up of folks from our parish.

I encourage all to visit the site - its one of those "portal" websites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Found another one. 'Israel' has fled to the desert. They have no food or water. Guess how God feeds them. Right, manna. Guess what it looks like. In the words of the book, "small, round, light as frost...like a wafer..."

Anything come to mind?

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So...does it appear that Lahaye and Jenkins are indirectly trying to convert their Protestant readers? :lol:

They touched on "confession" in The Mark....hmmm. Either its a literary ploy to attract Catholics or an interesting way to steal from Catholic teachings without really stating it.

Well, anything can happen. ;)

Upvote 0
V

VOW52

The concept of "The Rapture" is a relatively new invention; I believe it dates from the 1800's, and of course, it's a teaching not supported by the Catholic Church.

And the Sola Scriptura folks say that the Catholic Church creates "new" doctrine?

I will admit, I have been reading the "Left Behind" series, mostly to see what all the fuss is about. The anti-Catholic viewpoint irks me to no end, and I find some of the detailed descriptions of things to be incoherent at times. But my nitpickin' ways get so aggravated at how CONVENIENT things are for the Tribulation Saints! I'm not talking about miracles; those are easier to accept. I mean like earthquakes that flatten entire neighborhoods but leave a single house standing practically unscathed (and with a handy hidden basement shelter, too!), major wounds that heal almost overnight, unlimited money (buried gold AND secret safes full of cash!), and of course, any type of aircraft one could possibly need! (we won't even get in to the amazingly complex computers and untraceable satellite links!)

:::wiping froth from mouth and mopping up foam from chin::: Whew! I'm glad I vented all that!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"And the Sola Scriptura folks say that the Catholic Church creates "new" doctrine?"

Umm...they do:) that's what coucils are for, and the pope's "new" ablitity to speak unfaultably about the bible...

":::wiping froth from mouth and mopping up foam from chin::: Whew! I'm glad I vented all that!"

:lol: its call FICTION. *throws ya a bone* ;)

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Umm...they do that's what coucils are for, and the pope's "new" ablitity to speak unfaultably about the bible...

Councils define Doctrine, they don't 'invent' it. That means that the teaching is already there and being practiced but now it's time to lay it out in precise terms so that no-one is confused or could say "I didn't know". Papal infallibility is not new. It goes all the way back to Peter. And is one of the less difficult things to research.

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Papal infallibility is not new"

Umm...yeah it is. It just started happeneing when a pope wanted to settle an arugement leading to war, probalby the hugonots wars.

"It goes all the way back to Peter. "

:lol: umm..not really. Peter didn't stand up and say X is right, he actually got rebuked by Paul ;) see your bible for info.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, I won't get into this here. This thread is for talking about the LB books as they pertain to certain Catholic practices.

I, or anyone here I hope, would be happy to discuss the doctrine of papal infallibility with you on a separate thread and after you have done some honest research of your own. I hope you will do that.

God bless...

Sandy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.