Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That would seem to conflict with the fact that Biden's approval rate is far about Trump's. And the percent of people thinking the country is going in the right direction is the largest since Obama.

Okay, that's be a tad disingenuous. I was explaining why Republican voters support Trump, not the entire group of American voters.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, that's be a tad disingenuous. I was explaining why Republican voters support Trump, not the entire group of American voters.

Unfortunately, disingenuousness is the modus operandi of some people here.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was explaining why Republican voters support Trump, not the entire group of American voters.

You said...
They like what he represents. They're fed up with the establishment, and he's an outsider who shook things up. Biden is seen as a continuation of the neo-liberal establishment.

So I assumed you meant voters, not just Trump supporters. I see what you were saying now. And yes, most Americans are inclined to liberalism in most of the ways Trump is inclined to racism and authoritarianism.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump is going to be too old in 2024. He may or may not be in better shape than Biden at that time,

For that, Trump's cognitive deficits would have to improve markedly, or Biden would have to start showing some. And given Biden riding bicycles for exercise, and Trump needing two hands to drink from glass, it would require lots of problems for Biden, and for Trump to somehow regain his health.

but America will have had 4 years of someone who is too old for the job if Biden lives throughout his term.

Americans disagree with you.
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Biden Job Approval!

We'll want someone who will be spry enough for all 4 years for the next term.
iu

Yep.

Hopefully Trump will realize that, at least some of his base is beginning to.

DeSantis can probably ride a bicycle. But we should also want someone capable of leadership if another pandemic threatens. And he botched that almost as badly as Trump did.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I know you really, REALLY like Joe Biden, but Americans don't have the same level of adoration as you. As this graphic from fivethirtyeight shows, At this point in his presidency, he has much lower approval than most other prior presidents (the green line is Biden's approval compared to other presidents). He beats Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, and Gerald Ford at this point in his presidency. He's running neck and neck with George W. Bush. Barack Obama, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Regan, Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon all had higher approval ratings at this point, just for context.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.39.22 AM.png

Also, paused screenshots are hardly an indicator of the vitality and acuity of a president. For example, remember this, when Biden showed the whole world that he struggles walking up stairs even while holding a handrail?

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.54.08 AM.png

Donald Trump was a certifiable yutz, but Biden does not stand in contrast as some pillar of strength and mental fortitude. It's painful to watch both of these men speak, for different reasons. With Biden, he stumbles and gaffes his way through speeches, mixes up names, and often seems to completely forget what he's talking about.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know you really, REALLY like Joe Biden,

I realize you really, REALLY hate Joe Biden, so because you don't agree with me much, you assume I have to really, REALLY like him. We all get that.

but Americans don't have the same level of adoration as you.

Currently, they like him a bit better than I do.

He beats Donald Trump

Well, given the election results, that's not much of a surprise. And there is the fact that coming right after Trump, did lower expectations considerably. So maybe the high approval he got is not surprising.

Also, paused screenshots are hardly an indicator of the vitality and acuity of a president. For example, remember this, when Biden showed the whole world that he struggles walking up stairs even while holding a handrail?

Tripping on stairs is not confined to presidents, of course. It's just that cameras aren't on you constantly. One the other hand, riding a bicycle and trotting up a ramp with which Trump struggled and needed assistance walking down, is a pretty good indicator.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
With Biden, he stumbles and gaffes his way through speeches, mixes up names, and often seems to completely forget what he's talking about.

You're thinking of Trump. Biden stutters, which is not the same thing.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize you really, REALLY hate Joe Biden,
Um, no. I disagree with many of Biden's policy ideas, but I don't hate him.

so because you don't agree with me much, you assume I have to really, REALLY like him.

No, I assume you really, REALLY like him because you constantly talk about how wonderful he is while downplaying his faults. You know, just like the republicans did/do with Trump.

We all get that.

You kill me with the "we all" comments. Just a friendly reminder, you don't speak for everyone, so saying things like "we all" to make it sound like there is an army of people that agree with you just sounds... desperate.

But not quite as much as many previous presidents, as the chart above illustrates.

Tripping on stairs is not confined to presidents, of course. It's just that cameras aren't on you constantly. One the other hand, riding a bicycle and trotting up a ramp with which Trump struggled and needed assistance walking down, is a pretty good indicator.

See? There you go downplaying Biden's tripping on stairs while pretending like a similar moment with Trump is "a pretty good indicator" of... something. What it is a "pretty good indicator" of is your infatuation with Biden and disdain for Trump.

Personally, I don't really care for either of them. Trump and Biden are, IMO, an indication of just how broken our political system is. That these are the 2 contenders that we came up with to lead the free world is a disgrace.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I realize you really, REALLY hate Joe Biden, so because you don't agree with me much, you assume I have to really, REALLY like him. We all get that.

Um, no. I disagree with many of Biden's policy ideas, but I don't hate him.

Your denial is less convincing than your behavior.

No, I assume you really, REALLY like him because you constantly talk about how wonderful he is

Yes, like that. Never said how "wonderful" he is. I merely pointed out some things he did right. As you know, most Americans agree.

You kill me with the "we all" comments. Just a friendly reminder, you don't speak for everyone, so saying things like "we all" to make it sound like there is an army of people that agree with you just sounds... desperate.

A majority of Americans seems like a lot of people to me. But then perhaps a lot of other Americans agree with you and really, REALLY hate Biden. Just not so many.

Currently, they like him a bit better than I do.

And yes, George W. Bush had a higher approval rate after 9/11. For reasons it's easy to get.

ee? There you go downplaying Biden's tripping on stairs

Probably because it's happened to everyone. But how many people need assistance walking down a ramp or drinking from a cup?

"a pretty good indicator" of... something.

Being able to deal with walking down a ramp or drinking from a cup. I bet, if we followed Biden around, we'd find a case where he wasn't so graceful on his bicycle. But not really the same thing, is it?

Likewise, we can show cases of Biden stuttering, but not slurring his words, or forgetting what he was saying as we have of Trump.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize you really, REALLY hate Joe Biden, so because you don't agree with me much, you assume I have to really, REALLY like him.

You already said that. Perhaps you forgot...?

Yes, like that. Never said how "wonderful" he is.
True. You've never said the word "wonderful". But you do take every opportunity to talk him up while downplaying his gaffes and faults. Not exactly the hallmark of someone objective.

You keep repeating yourself. Might want to get that checked out.

And yes, George W. Bush had a higher approval rate after 9/11. For reasons it's easy to get.

Now you're either being dishonest, or perhaps just not paying attention. The chart I posted above shows the approval rating of presidents through their first 176 days of their presidency, because that's how many days Biden has been in office. 176 days into George W. Bush's presidency was July 14, 2 months before 9/11.

Probably because it's happened to everyone. But how many people need assistance walking down a ramp or drinking from a cup?

There it is again! Downplaying Biden's falling up the stairs, while making Trump's walking down a ramp a big deal. Both men had unfortunate slips caught on camera that, yes, could happen to any one of us. It's really nothing more than that. But your amplification of one and diminishing of the other is telling.

Likewise, we can show cases of Biden stuttering, but not slurring his words, or forgetting what he was saying as we have of Trump.
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I don't really care for either of them. Trump and Biden are, IMO, an indication of just how broken our political system is. That these are the 2 contenders that we came up with to lead the free world is a disgrace.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
True. You've never said the word "wonderful".

But that's never stopped some people.

But you do take every opportunity to talk him up while downplaying his gaffes and faults.

I'm the one who brought up his gaffes. Did you forget already?

Both men had unfortunate slips caught on camera that, yes, could happen to any one of us. It's really nothing more than that.

iu

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Feel free to show us.
President Donald Trump's apparent flubbing of several words in Wednesday's public speech about relocating the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem opened him to a host of jokes later that night on the late-night scene.

In addition to slurring multiple words, Trump ended the speech with “God bless Israel. God bless the Palestinians, and God bless the United States,” but the last part of phrase was clearly mangled.

Naturally, it became fodder for TV hosts.
Trump's slurred speech opens him up to ridicule from comedians

In his address, the president threatened to invoke severe sanctions against Iran, but seemed amenable to deescalating the burgeoning military aggression. Still, the nine-minute address was packed with the president’s standard potpourri of falsehoods, lies, and bouts of incoherence. But the most striking aspect of his speech had less to do with what he said than how he said it. Which is to say, Trump was slurring and snorting through an address that was ostensibly designed to calm a nation on the brink of war.

Trump has never been a particularly graceful public speaker, but his mush-mouth sounded especially pronounced this morning. There was heaviness to his speech, as if he was struggling to talk through cottonmouth. He also had difficulty with the letter S, which he couldn’t pronounce without a drawn out hiss, as if he were a snake. One of the more flagrant examples entails the president mangling the pronunciation of “tolerated” while condemning terrorism.
Donald Trump Slurs and Snorts Through Speech About Iranian Missile Strike

President Donald Trump has slurred through his speech at a Nevada rally on Friday before mocking former Vice President Joe Biden's stutter.

The president spoke to a crowd of supporters in Las Vegas and used the opportunity to mock some of his competitors.

When taking jabs at democratic candidate Pete Buttigege, Mr Trump appeared to slur through his statement.

It is unclear why the president slurred his speech during the moment of the rally.

The speech then moved on to take jabs at Mr Biden and a stutter that sometimes comes out when the former vice president speaks, something he's had since boyhood.
Trump slurs through speech as he mocks Joe Biden's stutter

Trump's friend, Howard Stern, predicted that being president would be bad for Donald Trump. He was clearly right. Trump has aged badly, and his cognitive difficulties are greater than when he took office.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you kidding?

Watch this video. Biden doesn't even know what he's talking about here. Ignore the commentary. The video of Biden starts at 0:48. About 1:17, he has an internal dialogue with himself out loud, and then tries to recover, and STILL manages to mess it up.

I have no idea why you amplify Trump's issues while downplaying Biden's. But you are not being objective. In fact, one might call it a double standard.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ignore the commentary.

The commenter seriously was concerned that Biden said "Libya" when he meant "Syria". I get it.

And he made much of Biden's stuttering and workarounds stutterers do. O.K.

Maybe we should compare them together. The debates clearly showed the difference.

America got to see them face to face. And Trump's cognitive problems were very obvious. As soon as he got confused, he became flustered and angry, and was almost uncontrollable, to the point that his microphone in subsequent debates had to be rigged to cut him off if he refused to follow the rules again.

No one denies that Biden makes gaffes, and stutters. It's just that Americans realized that doesn't affect his performance as president. And voted accordingly.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The commenter seriously was concerned that Biden said "Libya" when he meant "Syria". I get it.

And he made much of Biden's stuttering and workarounds stutterers do. O.K.
Saying "Libya" when you mean "Syria" isn't "stuttering".

Maybe we should compare them together. The debates clearly showed the difference.
Not really. The debates were a shameful display of our politics. It's a sad commentary that these were the best 2 people we could come up with to lead our country. It looked like 2 old geezers escaped from the nursing home and were yelling at each other.

No one denies that Biden makes gaffes, and stutters.
And forgets things. And confuses his words. And is pretty lost without a teleprompter.

It's just that Americans realized that doesn't affect his performance as president. And voted accordingly.

I suppose that's one possible, albeit unlikely, explanation, but I think a more plausible explanation is that most Americans just picked the lesser of 2 yutzes, because they had no other choice in our 2-party system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And forgets things. And confuses his words. And is pretty lost without a teleprompter.

That was the story on Obama. People didn't buy that one, either.

I suppose that's one possible, albeit unlikely, explanation, but I think a more plausible explanation is that most Americans just picked the lesser of 2 yutzes, because they had no other choice in our 2-party system.

I notice that his net approval keeps rising. And it has been so far more by a drop in his disapproval rate than by an increase in approvals. Which suggests that a lot of people aren't buying those stories any more.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was the story on Obama. People didn't buy that one, either.

While I disagreed with many of Obama's policy positions, there's no denying that he was a pretty good orator, so I have no idea why you would draw such a bizarre comparison.

I notice that his net approval keeps rising. And it has been so far more by a drop in his disapproval rate than by an increase in approvals. Which suggests that a lot of people aren't buying those stories any more.
Biden's approval is currently decreasing while disapproval is increasing, as illustrated by this graphic;

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 11.06.10 AM.png

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
While I disagreed with many of Obama's policy positions, there's no denying that he was a pretty good orator, so I have no idea why you would draw such a bizarre comparison.
For pretty much his entire term Obama was attacked for his use of teleprompters.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For pretty much his entire term Obama was attacked for his use of teleprompters.

For pretty much his entire term Obama blamed Bush for everything negative in the world.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By a certain group of people, sure. But one is being disingenuous if they suggest that Obama was not a great orator. Certainly far superior than either Trump or Biden.

Upvote 0