Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just how many interactions have you had with police. It sounds like a lot from what you said.
I grew up in a gang infested area. I was an honor roll student and I actually kept my report card on me at all times to show police so they'd leave me alone.

As a young adult, I used to do a lot of volunteer work in bad neighborhoods mainly tutoring high risk kids. A few times, I've inserted myself into some of my kids' interactions with police to prevent the situation from escalating to violence.

Other than that, I'm a lightning rod for police. Some people win the lottery multiple times, some people get struck by lightning multiple times, I just happen to be one of those people in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot.

When I was a teen, I probably averaged 3 - 7 interactions with police per year. As an adult, around 1 - 5 interactions per year. When I was a teen, 90% of the interactions were contrived and no probable cause, just police messing with me and my friends. As an adult, that number dropped significantly to 20%-ish meaning that the majority of my interaction with police as an adult were/are legit.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The video was worst than I thought it would be.

From the get go, the officer was not respectful, "Hey get your ID bro..."
Why not, "Sir I need your ID.."

That's your issue here? His familiar tone?

The black guy asked, "What do you need my ID for" as things escalated
The Cop said, "I need to know who I'm handing the child off to..."

Now, both queries and responses are reasonable, what was NOT reasonable was the officer Assaulting a citizen when there was absolutely no threat whatsoever to the Officer.

Is grabbing a citizen by the neck proper police training on obtaining a license?

Absolutely not. It's an option though, for when someone is trying to stroll off the scene before a cop has the chance to figure out what's going on.

If this guy was injured...I'd probably agree with you. Judging by his actions afterwards, I'd say his pride hurt more than anything.

What should have happened is simple. It should have went something like this:
Cop: "Sir, I need your license for my police report to confirm who you are and who I'm leaving the kid with"
Man: "Why do you need my ID?"
Cop: "I just told you, I need to know who I'm leaving the baby with."
Man: "Well, My name is Mr. XYZ"
Cop: "Look Sir, I'm not handing off a kid to someone without 100% verification that you are who you say you are"
Man: "Well, I don't know why you need my license, I don't want to get it, I told you my name is Mr. XYZ"
Cop: "Listen, either 1 of 2 things is going to happen, either you give me your ID so I can verify that I'm leaving the kid with the right person, or we are calling CPS and they will take the kid. The choice is yours."
Man: "I don't see why you need my ID"
Cop: "That's fine sir, you can explain your position to the Judge and CPS."
Man: "This is BS, I don't understand... I told you who I am"
Cop: "And just so you know, when you go to court you are still going to need your ID, so last chance. Your choice. What's it going to be? Once I call CPS that is that, if you get your ID at that point it will be too late. So will you get your ID? Yes or no, last chance..."​

This is always a bad idea. Cops are given the authority to enforce the law. They aren't there to let you choose whether or not you want to obey it. That's not a right you have.

If he gave the guy any options, they should be....

1. Give the ID so he can run it.
2. Leave in handcuffs for a trip to the police station where he will be fingerprinted and ID will be determined.

If the guy attempts to do anything else....he should be forced into one of those options.

It seems like some cops get so bent out of shape having to explain something to a rattled, upset, scared, and angry citizen whose emotions are making said citizen difficult to deal with.

There's no real context for what happened prior.

In this case, the citizen wasn't being combative or threatening in the least.

He's clearly being detained. He's not allowed to leave....legally. He can argue about being detained all he wants....that's ok. He can even get a lawyer and file a suit for illegal/excessive detention....that's also an option.

What he's not allowed to do though....is simply stroll off. Now, if you can imagine a way of stopping me from walking away from you....without putting your hands on me, without using any kind of force that might be construed as "violence"....I'm real interested in hearing about it.

Police should not be allowed to use violence against the citizenry when they are not in danger. Violence should ONLY be used to enforce the law as a last resort. In this case, the officer should have called CPS. When they arrived and the man "refuses" to hand the kid over THEN violence should have been used. But up until that point the officer should have been calm, cool, and collected.

There are plenty of officers who know how to handle unreasonable citizens without instantly resorting to violence, here is one example

in any event, those are my thoughts on this issue

I'm not going to say he couldn't have handled it better....but again, without context, I'm not going to judge. It's quite possible that he put up with a lot of nonsense prior to that point.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, cops are human beings and not 100% perfect, I get that. However, there is one big problem with law enforcement that very few other professions have...

I'd say every profession has this problem...the stakes simply aren't as high.

Too often in law enforcement, when police demonstrate obviously bad behavior on a repeated basis NOTHING HAPPENS TO THEM. In fact, quite the opposite, the entire system swings into place to protect said bad cop. Police will write fictional police reports backing the bad cop's version of events.

I don't think anyone thinks they should write fictional police reports...

...but I also think it's weird that anyone expects otherwise. On the little things, sure, they should and I bet they do more often than you'd think. But if we were talking about a severe violation of rights, assault, or a bad shooting.....do you think they'd just confess and gladly go to jail? Why? I don't think the respect of Joe Public is high on their list when they're staring at 5-10.

You can't tell me that this was "the first time" this cop was disrespectful to a citizen in this manner. No way, not a chance. I guarantee that "other officers" witnessed this cop acting in this manner before tons of times and not one of them reported him.

Speaking of fictional narratives...you just made this up.

Cops have a gang mentality when it comes to policing themselves, they just don't do it. Something has to be obvious and caught on video tape in order for any corrective action to be taken and oftentimes even that is not enough!!! It feels like a citizen quite literally has to be killed in order for police departments to do something.

THere is a case where a cop was drunk and driving erratically 90 mph down the freeway into another county. This cop was arrested by a female cop. The Entire Local Law ENforcement community ostracized the female cop who arrested the drunk cop. Seriously? Yep! She ended up having to move to another county.

Got an article for this?

In any event, if there wasn't thousands of hours worth of bully cops on youtube getting away with their behavior with NO REPERCUSSIONS WHATSOEVER then yeah, my attitude would change.

But I can literally link you to thousands of hours worth of abhorrent behavior from cops that are still on the force. The proof is right there on youtube but nope, nothing happens. And that is my problem. Change that one thing, hold cops to the same standards that we hold pretty much everyone else to, and this problem would drastically be reduced

What's the upside to a cop policing his fellow cops? Let's imagine one cop does it....

It's not like you'd know about it...so what's the upside to doing it?

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's your issue here? His familiar tone?.
That tone did not sound "familiar" to me, it sounded disrespectful.
You have an emotionally tense situation with a civilian who is rattled and is holding a baby that is rattled. The officer is supposed to be the professional and his "tone" did not sound like a tone of someone trying to diffuse a situation. So yeah, it is an issue with me.

Absolutely not. It's an option though, for when someone is trying to stroll off the scene before a cop has the chance to figure out what's going on.

If this guy was injured...I'd probably agree with you. Judging by his actions afterwards, I'd say his pride hurt more than anything..

I do not recall the guy trying to leave the scene. I recall him sitting down holding a baby arguing with the cop in a way that seemed more inquisitive than defiant. As far as judging an action based on whether harm was done or not??? That same logic doesn't hold when I'm dealing with my fellow citizens?

If I grab a citizen by the neck does that magically not become assault if said citizen is not hurt? There are levels of inappropriate actions, of course if he was hurt that would be worse. But "not" being hurt doesn't magically make inappropriate action okay.

Incidentally, if he was trying to leave, grabbing the citizen by the wrist or arm in this case is way more acceptable. Grabbing him by the throat is absolutely not acceptable. That is a serious escalation and is "life threatening". You grab me by the throat, my first instinct is going to be to no holds bar attack you. As a police officer, surely you do NOT want to avoid eliciting this response from a subject?

This is always a bad idea. Cops are given the authority to enforce the law. They aren't there to let you choose whether or not you want to obey it. That's not a right you have.

If he gave the guy any options, they should be....

1. Give the ID so he can run it.
2. Leave in handcuffs for a trip to the police station where he will be fingerprinted and ID will be determined.

If the guy attempts to do anything else....he should be forced into one of those options.

This is where I disagree. The citizen committed no crime whatsoever. He is not under suspicion of committing a crime. The law in most States explicitly states that a citizen is under no obligation to give ID to a police officer UNLESS he is suspected of having committed a crime.

IN this case, the officer wants his ID so he can know who he is leaving the kid with. Thus, the only thing that should happen is if the citizen refuses to give ID to the officer, than the officer takes the kid and gives the kid to CPS.

Now, if the man tries to prevent the officer from taking the kid, then "now" the officer has leave to use violence to enforce the law.

This attitude of "Do what I say or else" is the problem with law enforcement. It feels like a lot of cops lose sight of the actual law that is in dispute in the situation and instead get so bent out of shape having to deal with an emotional, scared, upset, or angry citizen.

There's no real context for what happened prior.

He's clearly being detained. He's not allowed to leave....legally. He can argue about being detained all he wants....that's ok. He can even get a lawyer and file a suit for illegal/excessive detention....that's also an option.

What he's not allowed to do though....is simply stroll off. Now, if you can imagine a way of stopping me from walking away from you....without putting your hands on me, without using any kind of force that might be construed as "violence"....I'm real interested in hearing about it.

Hmmm... I Don't recall him trying to leave and definitely not trying to "flee". The man is holding a baby and the officer grabs him by the neck. That puts the man in danger and the baby in danger and is just bad judgement all the way around.

I'm logically consistent in my arguments and one of the key logical principles I argue is "proportional" response. It feels to much that with some of your arguments they are binary, either yes or no, right or wrong. There is more nuance to life. In this situation, grabbing him by the arm with a command "Stop" is more than appropriate and proportional.

I'm not going to say he couldn't have handled it better....but again, without context, I'm not going to judge. It's quite possible that he put up with a lot of nonsense prior to that point.

This is the ultimate defense of bad police action that I just don't like. There is nothing that happened beforehand that justifies grabbing a man holding a baby by the neck when he poses no threat to you.

So we will agree to disagree.

I just really hate the lack of reciprocity here, it's like we just turn our brains off. Forget citizen vs police, lets just go with citizen vs citizen. If this was between two people, I'd be equally appalled that a man would grab another man by the throat while one of the men is holding a baby. PERIOD.

Let alone a supposedly "trained" law enforcement professional.

I expect law enforcement to be professionals and to be "better" than the average drunk frat boy with a chip on his shoulder. ANd I get the vibe that most defenders of actions like this do not.

I dunno, I guess I still on some level believe that we are supposed to be a free country and that the Constitution actually applies to us. But the reality is I guess it doesn't. That for the most part the Constitution is toilet paper that cops can wipe their backsides with whenever they so choose for the flimsiest of contrived reasons.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'd say every profession has this problem...the stakes simply aren't as high.

There are plenty of jobs where the stakes are higher and the danger is more immediate and probable. Yes, it's apples and orange, no situation is identical, but the excuse that "well cops have a dangerous jobs so we should let them do whatever the hell they want" is not a good excuse.

I don't think anyone thinks they should write fictional police reports...

...but I also think it's weird that anyone expects otherwise. On the little things, sure, they should and I bet they do more often than you'd think. But if we were talking about a severe violation of rights, assault, or a bad shooting.....do you think they'd just confess and gladly go to jail? Why? I don't think the respect of Joe Public is high on their list when they're staring at 5-10.

Of course, someone screwing up will want to cover their backsides, I get that. I'm talking about "other" cops that witness the screw up and then proceed to help with the cover up. This tells me that the cops are not out to protect the citizenry but rather to protect each other. So then it becomes an "us vs them" mentality. That spirals easily into a culture of "us vs them" and a culture of treating citizens like subjects to be ruled over instead of people serve and protect.

To be fair, I will readily admit "most" cops seem decent. But it doesn't take too many bad apples to really spoil the bunch and when bad things happen and we see these bad cops continue to keep their jobs then it impacts the trust we the citizenry feel in regards to law enforcement.

Speaking of fictional narratives...you just made this up.
No, I didn't. It is basic human behavior.

A year or so ago there was a burger king employee that took a bath in the sink and posted it on YouTube. It was funny, however the stunt got him and the manager fired. Now, what is the probability that this was his "first" time doing something wrong like this? What is the probability that he was a model employee and then just out of the blue decided to take a bath in the sink and put a video of it in youtube. What is the probability that the manager was NOT complicit in egregious behavior of his employees? What is the probability that this stunt just spontaneously happened out of the blue?

If you are an abusive ego maniac bully cop, then that is what you are and you will have numerous bad interactions with citizens. Every time you are able to be a complete jerk without reprimand or punishment it will just reinforce that behavior and you will engage in more and more abusive behavior until you cross the line. Crossing that line will not happen "out of the blue". That is very rare.

What's the upside to a cop policing his fellow cops? Let's imagine one cop does it....
The upside is you gain public trust and respect. You help create a positive culture where good policing is rewarded and bad policing is not tolerated. This will lead to less lawsuits against the police. RIght now, every major city in America pays out MILLIONS of dollars annually in lawsuits because of ego maniac "bad" cops or incompetent cops who shouldn't be allowed have a gun and a badge.

Last but not least, it saves more innocent lives every year.

My biggest fear for law enforcement is that they mess around and violate the rights of the wrong citizen. There are a lot of citizens with military training and experience killing people and breaking things. It is only a matter of time before an ego maniac cop messes with the wrong person or family.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That tone did not sound "familiar" to me, it sounded disrespectful.
You have an emotionally tense situation with a civilian who is rattled and is holding a baby that is rattled. The officer is supposed to be the professional and his "tone" did not sound like a tone of someone trying to diffuse a situation. So yeah, it is an issue with me.

Ok.

I do not recall the guy trying to leave the scene. I recall him sitting down holding a baby arguing with the cop in a way that seemed more inquisitive than defiant. As far as judging an action based on whether harm was done or not??? That same logic doesn't hold when I'm dealing with my fellow citizens?

Well watch it again, he clearly stands and either tries to walk past or away from the cop.

He isn't grabbed while sitting. You're wrong.

If I grab a citizen by the neck does that magically not become assault if said citizen is not hurt? There are levels of inappropriate actions, of course if he was hurt that would be worse. But "not" being hurt doesn't magically make inappropriate action okay.

You don't have authority to enforce the law.

Incidentally, if he was trying to leave, grabbing the citizen by the wrist or arm in this case is way more acceptable. Grabbing him by the throat is absolutely not acceptable. That is a serious escalation and is "life threatening". You grab me by the throat, my first instinct is going to be to no holds bar attack you. As a police officer, surely you do NOT want to avoid eliciting this response from a subject?

Well that's a easy way to get shot. Remember, a cop isn't obliged to fight fair...if you use fists, he's probably allowed to beat you with a baton. If you manage to get the baton off him, you're now holding a weapon and he can shoot you.

Also, probably worth pointing out that should you start winning the fight and he's exhausted or in danger of being knocked out....he can kill you for that too.

This is where I disagree. The citizen committed no crime whatsoever.

Seems pretty clear he was being detained...and he tried to leave.

How is the cop supposed to be able to figure out who....if anyone...is committing a crime if everyone can just walk away from them whenever they feel like it?

IN this case, the officer wants his ID so he can know who he is leaving the kid with. Thus, the only thing that should happen is if the citizen refuses to give ID to the officer, than the officer takes the kid and gives the kid to CPS.

Nope. He has legal authority there....I'm assuming he was called and didn't just happen upon this scene.

Now, if the man tries to prevent the officer from taking the kid, then "now" the officer has leave to use violence to enforce the law.

With a child in his arms?

This attitude of "Do what I say or else" is the problem with law enforcement.

Cops aren't there to ask you nicely and give you options to choose from. They are the first step in enforcing laws. They can't do that without authority to tell you what to do.

It feels like a lot of cops lose sight of the actual law that is in dispute in the situation and instead get so bent out of shape having to deal with an emotional, scared, upset, or angry citizen.

Well, it's probably worth considering that this is the thousandth time some guy reacted poorly to the cops being called on them. His reaction is probably what he has learned works best.

If you really want to throw a cop off, be polite, respectful, and do as they ask.

Hmmm... I Don't recall him trying to leave and definitely not trying to "flee".

Watch it again. The audio didn't work for me....but if they guy was disobeying orders to stay where he was, chances are he was being detained and was legally fleeing.

I'm logically consistent in my arguments and one of the key logical principles I argue is "proportional" response. It feels to much that with some of your arguments they are binary, either yes or no, right or wrong. There is more nuance to life. In this situation, grabbing him by the arm with a command "Stop" is more than appropriate and proportional.

And if the guy yanks his arm away or swings his arm at the cop's? What then?

This is the ultimate defense of bad police action that I just don't like. There is nothing that happened beforehand that justifies grabbing a man holding a baby by the neck when he poses no threat to you.

I'm not actually sure he was still holding the baby when he was grabbed.

So we will agree to disagree.

I just really hate the lack of reciprocity here, it's like we just turn our brains off. Forget citizen vs police, lets just go with citizen vs citizen. If this was between two people, I'd be equally appalled that a man would grab another man by the throat while one of the men is holding a baby. PERIOD.

If it wasn't a cop...the whole scene wouldn't make sense. Why are they fighting over the baby in your fantasy scenario here?

Let alone a supposedly "trained" law enforcement professional.

I expect law enforcement to be professionals and to be "better" than the average drunk frat boy with a chip on his shoulder. ANd I get the vibe that most defenders of actions like this do not.

I dunno, I guess I still on some level believe that we are supposed to be a free country and that the Constitution actually applies to us. But the reality is I guess it doesn't. That for the most part the Constitution is toilet paper that cops can wipe their backsides with whenever they so choose for the flimsiest of contrived reasons.

What part of the Constitution says you get to disobey cops?

I understand that your upbringing may have influenced your opinion on this....I totally understand that. Do you think it's unique to you? Or do you think it's more typical of those who grew up in your situation?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There are some that believe law enforcement has free reign to perpetrate violence on citizens without repercussions. As is often the case, this officer has a history of misconduct, and the lack accountability on the officer is what has led to problems. Defending bad cops is why the bunch is rotten; if you actually respond and remove the officers who go around choking people and causing the city to pay settlements in previous cases. Of course there are some that believe police violence is okay and will believe it's justified almost all the time.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My personal experiences with the police are as follows.

60% of my interactions with police are fine, one might even call them courteous. I have this ability to make people laugh and for some odd reason, I make officers laugh all the time which definitely diffuses the situation. SImilarly, I've had plenty of officers give me a break. One of my favorite instances of this was I was speeding 20mph over the limit. Officer pulls me over and I say, "Look, I know I was speeding but I have a date with one of the Bud Light Girls and I was going to be late but I'll be on time now, I promise I won't speed anymore..." and the officer was taken aback and then said, "Alright, go, just no more speeding"

25% of my interactions with police are middle of the road, not good not bad, just meh

10% of my interactions with police are what I would call "Lightning in the air" bad, you know, that sense that at any moment something bad might happen. During these interactions it takes a conscious effort and will on my part to make sure things don't go south. In these instances it feels like the officer is wound tight just waiting for "any" chance to pop off on me with violence, so I make EVERY effort to not give him the chance no matter how rude or disrespectful the officer is with all the "boy" talk (racist officers love calling black men "boy" they know we hate it).

5% of my interactions with police have been life threatening and very scary with no provocation on my part whatsoever. FWIW I've never been arrested and I've filed complaints for these incidents, nothing came of the complaints though...

Informative, but just make sure you don't take personal experiences as accurately reflecting the entire population.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Informative, but just make sure you don't take personal experiences as accurately reflecting the entire population.
It's not about the entire population, it is about the lack of accountability for those that cross the line. The entire population is understandably not violent or corrupt, but most of them look the other way when they see excessive force or corruption. That's the problem; not that most police commit violence, but that most police do nothing when they see violence. So even if 10% commit the crime, it's the lack of action from the other 90% that's the heart of the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are some that believe law enforcement has free reign to perpetrate violence on citizens without repercussions. As is often the case, this officer has a history of misconduct.

What's the "history of misconduct" that's surfaced? Has he been punished for anything? Either internally or in a court of law?

Not saying it isn't true...but "history of misconduct" has a pretty wide range of possibilities. It could be as simple and trivial as writing the wrong time on a ticket on accident to shouting racist things at everyone he arrests. It's basically a meaningless statement without any context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The main problem is how police approach African Americans, often they are more impolite and/or escalate situations unnecessarily.

Police respect whites more than blacks during traffic stops, language analysis finds

Communication is a big issue, and this is not a problem only seen with police, but also with teachers when dealing with African American students.

Did they run the opposite of that test? Did they analyze the language of whites and blacks while dealing with cops?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of jobs where the stakes are higher and the danger is more immediate and probable. Yes, it's apples and orange, no situation is identical, but the excuse that "well cops have a dangerous jobs so we should let them do whatever the hell they want" is not a good excuse.

It's not an excuse. It's an explanation.

Of course, someone screwing up will want to cover their backsides, I get that. I'm talking about "other" cops that witness the screw up and then proceed to help with the cover up.

Let's say that happens...and that other cop does report the screw up and they get rid of that cop.

Well now that cop can never screw up...the department will cut him first chance they get. You spend at least several years of your career watching your back in the streets (cuz your coworkers don't) and watching your back in the department.

Or I guess we could have a situation where suddenly every cop decides to tell on every other cop every time anything happens...and eventually every cop is fired (because everyone makes mistakes) and no one wants to be a cop because of the total lack of job security.

This tells me that the cops are not out to protect the citizenry but rather to protect each other. So then it becomes an "us vs them" mentality. That spirals easily into a culture of "us vs them" and a culture of treating citizens like subjects to be ruled over instead of people serve and protect.

You want cops to do things...right? You want them to arrest criminals, and enforce laws...right?

To be fair, I will readily admit "most" cops seem decent. But it doesn't take too many bad apples to really spoil the bunch and when bad things happen and we see these bad cops continue to keep their jobs then it impacts the trust we the citizenry feel in regards to law enforcement.

Uh huh....if you can see that, why don't you think the opposite is true?

No, I didn't. It is basic human behavior.

A year or so ago there was a burger king employee that took a bath in the sink and posted it on YouTube. It was funny, however the stunt got him and the manager fired. Now, what is the probability that this was his "first" time doing something wrong like this? What is the probability that he was a model employee and then just out of the blue decided to take a bath in the sink and put a video of it in youtube. What is the probability that the manager was NOT complicit in egregious behavior of his employees? What is the probability that this stunt just spontaneously happened out of the blue?

What are the chances this is a terrible example? About 100%.

If you are an abusive ego maniac bully cop,

That's not a real person though...it's a caricature of one.

then that is what you are and you will have numerous bad interactions with citizens. Every time you are able to be a complete jerk without reprimand or punishment it will just reinforce that behavior and you will engage in more and more abusive behavior until you cross the line. Crossing that line will not happen "out of the blue". That is very rare.

Thanks for your opinion.

The upside is you gain public trust and respect.

Pause there for a moment...

How exactly does the public know when a "bad egg" is removed? Is that supposed to be newsworthy?

It's not as if you even notice when they remove one now.

You help create a positive culture where good policing is rewarded and bad policing is not tolerated. This will lead to less lawsuits against the police.

Not sure if I agree.

RIght now, every major city in America pays out MILLIONS of dollars annually in lawsuits because of ego maniac "bad" cops or incompetent cops who shouldn't be allowed have a gun and a badge.

Settlements are often made as a matter of ending lengthy unpopular cases. They aren't always an admission of wrongdoing.

Last but not least, it saves more innocent lives every year.

From cops perhaps. Looking at even a mild change in police tactics in Baltimore and the resultant bloodshed...I'm not sure that's a good idea.

My biggest fear for law enforcement is that they mess around and violate the rights of the wrong citizen. There are a lot of citizens with military training and experience killing people and breaking things. It is only a matter of time before an ego maniac cop messes with the wrong person or family.

These always come off like revenge fantasies....less like genuine concern.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Our law enforcement officers deserve respect and honor for their service to our communities.
They deserve respect and honour when they behave with respect and honour, not when they behave like thugs. Upholding the law does not make you immune from it.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well watch it again, he clearly stands and either tries to walk past or away from the cop.

Sigh, really didn't want to watch that again but I did. Yes, AFTER the cop escalated the situation with forceful yelling and "boy" this and "boy" that, the citizen then did stand up, turned his back on the officer, and took one step away THEN the officer proceeded to grab him by the neck with more "boy" talk.

Here is the issue I have and I don't know how else to make this point with you,. I am former military, I do have training on killing people and breaking things. I also have martial arts experience. This argument you tend to do in these situations is a binary argument. It is all about "Well, he didn't follow the order or he tried to "flee" thus the officer is correct in his use of force regardless of the magnitude of force used for the situation..."

This is just not accurate. You don't break out a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. There is an appropriate use of force for every situation. And I feel you hide behind gotcha games and binary decision making instead of being a human being using a brain for the situation. WHen there is no difference between the way a drunk frat boy would handle a situation and a way a trained professional is supposed to handle a situation that should give you pause.

He isn't grabbed while sitting. You're wrong.
Yes, I was wrong. He stood up and in one motion over the course of 1 second he turned his back on the officer who was yelling at him and escalating the conflict. Fear makes people do all sorts of things, and one thing fear does is make you fight or flight which is what he did. Again, I feel law enforcement types and you in arguments like these discount what fear does or how human beings react. Had the officer kept his cool I would argue the citizen would not have tried to "flee" as you call it. The citizen is sitting on the ground "calmly" arguing his point and it was the OFFICER who escalated the situation because of ego and anger. "How dare you argue with me boy" type thinking.

In the military we had a phrase "Service Before Self" and I wish police embodied this more. TO be fair, a lot do. A lot understand that citizens can be panicky scared emotional animals and thus a lot of police are professional in the way a kindergarten teacher is professional and understanding with unruly children.

But then there are some cops who are not. They get angry and then they bust into violence and the law unfortunately backs bad judgement as you are doing. Essentially you argument is "Well, he handled the situation really really badly and used horrible judgement, most officers would NOT have done it this way but despite how horrifically bad he handled the situation he is still in the right..."

I disagree.

You don't have authority to enforce the law.
Yes I do. Given the right situation, I have authority to enforce the law. But I wont' contrive a hypothetical situation, that wasn't my point. I will concede that barring some extraordinary fantasy situation, I do not have the authority to take a child from someone or enforce the law.

But that wasn't my point. My point was about basic human dignity. I feel that there is a breed of cop that believes that you can't enforce the law without being a cold blooded unyielding robot.

Yes, there is a time for escalation, yes there is a time for violence, yes there is a time for use of force. My argument is that this situation was not it. At least not yet. It very well could have been but it was not quite there yet and if anything the cop forced it there way faster than it needed to be.

Well that's a easy way to get shot. Remember, a cop isn't obliged to fight fair...if you use fists, he's probably allowed to beat you with a baton. If you manage to get the baton off him, you're now holding a weapon and he can shoot you.
I want to do a bit of a deep dive here to show you why this mentality is wrong on so many levels.

How much paperwork is involved when a cop has a serious altercation with a citizen in which the citizen and or cop and or bystanders are hurt or killed? How many manhours and money is involved every time a dust up occurs. For a second, lets look beyond the cop being right or wrong, lets look at some cold hard facts and numbers.

I assume law enforcement professionals have to submit detailed reports when use of force occurs. Then I assume some review board has to look at those reports. In the case of serious injury or death I assume that the cop is then placed on leave and then has to see a shrink to be cleared while his actions are reviewed by some panel. In the case of the officer being hurt or killed (remember this is a two way street) then that is the cop being laid up in the hospital with his wife and kids sick with worry or worse, they get presented a flag at his funeral.

Then lets factor in lawsuits. Assuming the cop is innocent, how much money does the city spend defending him. Even in the case of innocence there are plenty of instances where the city will settle just to get it over with and avoid trial. Assuming the cop is guilty, you have an exponential increase in the cost.

Now lets back up and look at the situation from two perspectives:
Situation A) You have a calm, cool, and professional officer who handles the citizen in the manner befitting a Kindergarten teacher dealing with an unruly student-- as long as the situation does not turn violent. This cop's attitude is that "everyone" goes home tonight safe as long as the situation doesn't escalate. He is focused on preventing escalation but if the situation does escalate he will use violence if necessary. Applying it to this case, he takes an extra 2 minutes to calmly answer the citizens questions in the manner that I outlined in the other post with my hypothetical script. Because of his handling of the situation the citizen does not feel the "flight or fight" response, does not feel compelled to get up and flee, gets his ID and hands it to the officer. All this took was 2 minutes.

Situation B) You have a ego maniac "do what I say or else" cop. He gives an order, the citizen refuses, he starts yelling and fills the air with violence, the citizen "reacts" to his escalation by doing what scared people do, the cop then grabs him by the throat while the citizen is holding a baby (yes I saw it again, when he grabbed the guy he still was holding the baby). Now the situation is in the local news and youtube. Now the citizenry is upset at the abhorrent action of this cop (regardless if legal or not). Now there are review boards and paper work and the "threat" of legal action being taken, the city looking bad, the negativity of this incident affecting how the local populace regards "all" cops. And for what? Because he didn't want to take 2 minutes to be a professional.

The math does not support your argument. If you do a reasonable account from two perspectives, yours loses. Now, I'm not saying cops should sit on their hands and do nothing. No. I'm saying cops should be professionals and I'm saying that you need to stop with all the Binary "all or nothing" arguments as if the "only" way cops can enforce the law is with their fingers on the trigger and their hands wrapped around a baton ready to bash some skulls if they aren't instantly obeyed. In that case, what is the difference between a trained professional and a drunk frat boy with a chip on his shoulder?

Also, probably worth pointing out that should you start winning the fight and he's exhausted or in danger of being knocked out....he can kill you for that too.

It's also worth point out that there are many of us citizens with martial arts training that can kill a cop if we are within arms reach. I'm not trying to be an internet tough guy, you have made the point many times that a lot of cops have no martial arts training beyond a few weeks of "Grab my arm" training at the Academy they hand when they joined years ago...

If I am in arms reach of an officer, I give my odds of overpowering him and taking his gun about 80%. If I am armed with a concealed weapon, I give my odds of outdrawing the officer 80% (simply because I have the initiative and advantage-- that is, the officer doesn't know I'm armed and I can pretend to be friendly and use a distraction THEN draw). If the officer has a partner than I cut my odds in the first scenario to 10% to 40% (depending on the partner's position) and the second scenario to 40%

Now, from a math standpoint, the above are horrible odds and should dissuade cops from "needless" escalation. I will readily admit, there are situations in which escalation is called for.

But I know you've seen body cam videos of cops overpowered. I've seen them and a lot of cops have this super hero mentality that the badge and gun makes them invincible. It does not. And it is in the cops best interest to be professional.

Professionalism also serves another function, professionalism leads to more accurate and better threat assessment. If you are professional and are calmly interacting with the citizen then you will be more accurate when/if the citizen tends towards a violent response.

However, if you are some angry yelling screaming frat boy of a cop, then you have no idea if the citizen is reacting to your escalation or if the citizen has earnest ill intent.

Cops aren't there to ask you nicely and give you options to choose from. They are the first step in enforcing laws. They can't do that without authority to tell you what to do.

You seem to equate authority with using violence the instant you don't get obedience.

No.

You can enforce the law without being a hair trigger of violence.
2 minutes of calm cool and professional behavior should beat dozen of man hours of paperwork and/or defense from a lawsuit. Not to mention that it costs $500 a day of tax payer money to house a prisoner in county (when you include all the overhead)?

How is the cop supposed to be able to figure out who....if anyone...is committing a crime if everyone can just walk away from them whenever they feel like it?
that is not my argument., It is never my argument no matter how much you want it to be.

My argument is for PROPORTIONAL use of force. My argument is ALWAYS FOR PROPORTIONAL USE OF FORCE. I'm very consistent on this argument but you keep trying to make my argument something it is not.

I'm on record supporting plenty of police shootings and police use of force when it was warranted. And I'm sorry, grabbing a man who is holding a baby by the throat is not the correct application of force. Grab him by the arm not holding the baby. Simple, easy, humane, decent, understandable.

If you really want to throw a cop off, be polite, respectful, and do as they ask.
You have two people in this scenario.

One is supposed to be a trained professional
One is not.
Why do you keep putting the burden on the untrained person?

Yes, citizens should be professional, yes citizens should be helpful. But fear, anger, frustration, etc can make untrained people do stupid things. And I submit, as the trained professional who supposedly took an oath to support and defend the Constitution and protect and serve the citizenry that the burden of making this a safe confrontation falls on you.

Here is the problem I have with your argument. There are legitimate reasons for why a citizen does not comply with a cop's legal order, take Diabetic Coma. A man was slumped over in his truck, and in a drunken slur. He posed no threat to law enforcement whatsoever. They ordered him out of the car, he was non-compliant and slurring. He was 100% not combative and no threat whatsoever. But he had the "audacity" to not obey a legal order. So they broke his window, drug him out of the car, beat him to within an inch of his life.

At no time was he combative... turns out he was in a diabetic coma. And the cops have your attitude of "Well, he didn't obey instruction so what else could we do?" Really? Seriously?

Break his window, drag him out, that is fine... but then when he is NOT combative, stop. Notice, "hey, this guy hasn't lifted one finger the entire altercation, he is no threat to us, so lets just cuff him..."

This is what I mean by escalation. Sometimes escalation is needed, ok, fine. But that does not mean you go all the way and turn off your powers of observation. All escalations should be in phases and they should stop the instant no more escalation is required.

And if the guy yanks his arm away or swings his arm at the cop's? What then?
FINALLY, yes we are getting somewhere. To answer your question, THEN YOU ESCALATE.

Cross that bridge when you come to it. He is NO THREAT to the officer, he has a baby in one hand, empty hand in the other, and his demeanor is clearly non threatening. Grab him by the arm, then reassess. If he yanks his arm away, THEN grab him again. If you are unable to stop him from fleeing with these actions THEN escalate but in a manner that protects the innocent baby in his arms-- you know, because an innocent citizen is worth more than your ego.

Again, I don't oppose escalation I oppose NEEDLESS ESCALATION. Especially when there are better ways to handle a situation.

What part of the Constitution says you get to disobey cops?

1st amendment Freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.
4th amendment Freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.
5th amendment Right to due process of law, freedom from self-incrimination, double jeopardy.

depending on circumstances.

I understand that your upbringing may have influenced your opinion on this....I totally understand that. Do you think it's unique to you? Or do you think it's more typical of those who grew up in your situation?

I feel my upbringing gives me the correct perspective on this. I understand both sides whether you think I do or not. As former military, I understand tactics and combat and being in dangerous situations. I also understand a commitment to the Constitution and Oath of Office. I understand the responsibilities of being in a situation where I have near unlimited power and being given the authority by the State to kill people and break things (following Rules of Engagement of course).

Police need to be the bigger person in these sorts of conflicts. They need to leave their ego at the door and understand they are dealing with scared, angry, confused, and emotional citizens. Police need to understand that a wrong decision by them can seriously damage the life and well being of the citizen they are interacting with. Yes, police have their lives on the line, but that is no excuse to disregard your Oath of Office or the Constitution or to deal with situations with contempt and disrespect for the citizenry. Tax paying law abiding citizens need to be viewed as assets and not liabilities. Every time a police officer locks up a tax paying citizen it hurts the country. The default of police officers should be to avoid this at all reasonable costs. And being "reasonable" should include taking a whole 2 minutes out of your day to explain a situation to a scared, angry, emotional, citizen instead of having the attitude "Do what I say or else!"

If things need to escalate, fine. But that escalation should be a last resort and it should be taken one step at a time.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sigh, really didn't want to watch that again but I did. Yes, AFTER the cop escalated the situation with forceful yelling and "boy" this and "boy" that, the citizen then did stand up, turned his back on the officer, and took one step away THEN the officer proceeded to grab him by the neck with more "boy" talk.

Ok...

I didn't rewatch it, I didn't have the audio the time I did, so I'll take your word on this.

We'll say he's being disrespectful/unprofessional in his tone.

Here is the issue I have and I don't know how else to make this point with you,. I am former military, I do have training on killing people and breaking things. I also have martial arts experience. This argument you tend to do in these situations is a binary argument. It is all about "Well, he didn't follow the order or he tried to "flee" thus the officer is correct in his use of force regardless of the magnitude of force used for the situation..."

I don't think that's even my argument in this situation....let alone most situations.

This is just not accurate. You don't break out a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito.

Well...I'm surprised. I don't have your military training and I can think of at least a couple situations where it (let's call it significantly overreacting) would not only be appropriate...but possibly the best way to handle those situations.

There is an appropriate use of force for every situation. And I feel you hide behind gotcha games and binary decision making instead of being a human being using a brain for the situation. WHen there is no difference between the way a drunk frat boy would handle a situation and a way a trained professional is supposed to handle a situation that should give you pause.

Yes, I was wrong. He stood up and in one motion over the course of 1 second he turned his back on the officer who was yelling at him and escalating the conflict. Fear makes people do all sorts of things, and one thing fear does is make you fight or flight which is what he did. Again, I feel law enforcement types and you in arguments like these discount what fear does or how human beings react. Had the officer kept his cool I would argue the citizen would not have tried to "flee" as you call it. The citizen is sitting on the ground "calmly" arguing his point and it was the OFFICER who escalated the situation because of ego and anger. "How dare you argue with me boy" type thinking.

There's some problems with this argument...

I'll agree completely that whenever people engage in a social interaction...how they behave, their emotions, tone, choice of words, gestures, etc....all affect the way those interactions go.

Yet, despite understanding this....you hold some pretty strange beliefs. In this case, being spoken to "unprofessionally" is an excuse for anything the guy does....because he was "afraid" of the cop. Yet, I've never seen you ever accept that sort of explanation for a cop's behavior.

If this was a cop shooting a person who turned out to only be holding a "gun shaped object"....you would never accept the excuse that because it was a "stressful situation" the "fight or flight" response of the cop.

And please, before you say it, I know you think you hold cops to a "higher standard"....but you don't. You hold cops to an impossible standard. It's as if you think that no matter how much abuse or disrespect is hurled at a cop...it should never affect their behavior or judgment. It's as if they should be these unfeeling robots that are never affected by what they experience....and that's always going to leave you disappointed in the police. Yet, for some other reason, you never look at suspects/criminals in that way. Your extreme bias against cops...and your infinite empathy for anyone they interact with...leaves you making the same accusations and same complaints every time. The only time I see you approving of a cop's behavior is when you see them being berated, disrespected, goaded, and generally provoked....and they don't react.

Which seems to be part of your fantasy of how you'd like your interactions with police to go.

In the military we had a phrase "Service Before Self" and I wish police embodied this more. TO be fair, a lot do. A lot understand that citizens can be panicky scared emotional animals and thus a lot of police are professional in the way a kindergarten teacher is professional and understanding with unruly children.

But then there are some cops who are not. They get angry and then they bust into violence and the law unfortunately backs bad judgement as you are doing. Essentially you argument is "Well, he handled the situation really really badly and used horrible judgement, most officers would NOT have done it this way but despite how horrifically bad he handled the situation he is still in the right..."

I disagree.

That's not what I said at all lol...

What I said was that I think the cop handled it wrongly. It doesn't bother me though...because there's no context for the footage. So allow me to elaborate...

If the time between the officer arriving on scene and the moment the video begins is 30 mins. And yes, obviously I don't know how much time passed....I'm just saying 30 minutes for this example...

If...

1. If a significant amount of that time was spent simply trying to take control of the situation from a couple of angry, belligerent, abusive, and non-compliant individuals...and this cop did so in a relatively professional manner...then, yes, I'm more inclined to see this as a moment where his frustration and emotions got the better of him. I'm more inclined to think his behavior is the exception for him, not the rule, and so his behavior here doesn't give me cause for concern.

However, if...

2. He arrived on scene and was given respect due his authority and station, and these people were relatively compliant and reasonable (relatively speaking given their emotions at the time)...then I'm inclined to agree with you. His reaction was wildly inappropriate and at the very least, he should face some sort of repercussions for it.

All I'm saying is that without the context, I can't really make those judgments. I'd be making them based on an incomplete view of the picture....worse, one that paints the cop in the worst possible light. The fact that the media is presenting this incomplete view of the situation doesn't give me much confidence that #2 is more likely true than #1.

Does that clarify my position here? I'm not asking if you agree....just if you understand me.

Yes I do. Given the right situation, I have authority to enforce the law.

I'm curious about what one of those situations is.

But I wont' contrive a hypothetical situation, that wasn't my point. I will concede that barring some extraordinary fantasy situation, I do not have the authority to take a child from someone or enforce the law.

But that wasn't my point. My point was about basic human dignity. I feel that there is a breed of cop that believes that you can't enforce the law without being a cold blooded unyielding robot.

Huh?

Yes, there is a time for escalation, yes there is a time for violence, yes there is a time for use of force. My argument is that this situation was not it. At least not yet. It very well could have been but it was not quite there yet and if anything the cop forced it there way faster than it needed to be.

Well, again, without context...it could have been, right? Hypothetically, the events leading up to the video could have involved a situation that might have involved the subject trying to or becoming abusive to the woman involved. Obviously, I'm not saying that happened...I'm saying that we don't know.

I want to do a bit of a deep dive here to show you why this mentality is wrong on so many levels.

Ok. Putting on my scuba gear for this deep dive.

How much paperwork is involved when a cop has a serious altercation with a citizen in which the citizen and or cop and or bystanders are hurt or killed? How many manhours and money is involved every time a dust up occurs. For a second, lets *snip*

This is a false dilemma. You're presenting two circumstances as if they realistically define all...or even the majority...of police interactions. Here's a shallow dive to consider....

How many times do you think that the cop's behavior...behavior that you might even consider typical of the "bully egomaniac evil psycho-narcissist cop"...actually prevents a potentially dangerous or fatal situation from ever happening in the first place? My guess is that you probably don't think it ever does...or it rarely does...and that there's no real way of knowing. You'd be right...we can't know something so complicated for a certainty....but there is evidence for it.

Perhaps that evidence may even be in the form of significant research into the motives of criminals....in this case, those who attack the cop who was trying to arrest them. What if that particular evidence was almost unanimous? What if those who attack the police (and it's a lot of people we're talking about) did so because they saw the cop's demeanor...and it was so non-threatening, so ineffectual, that everything about the cop screamed "I don't need to obey this person, I can do so without consequence, and if they try to arrest me...I can just attack them and get away". I'm paraphrasing of course, but if that is true of those who attack police and in some cases, kill them....what should the general tone of a cop be?

Because I think they should give everyone a chance to comply....and in some situations, perhaps even a lot of chances. In many situations though, for their safety and yours, they should probably make you comply at some point if you continue to disobey lawful orders.

It's also worth...*snip*...

Now, from a math standpoint, the above are horrible odds and should dissuade cops from "needless" escalation.

It doesn't though....because, like all people, cops are concerned about surviving deadly attacks. They don't know if their attacker is just some idiot trying to avoid 500$ in parking tickets or a member of a criminal organization wanted for multiple murders. It's always better for them to assume the worst of their attacker and be wrong than it is to assume the best and be wrong.

But I know you've seen body cam videos of cops overpowered.

Sure.

I've seen them and a lot of cops have this super hero mentality that the badge and gun makes them invincible. It does not. And it is in the cops best interest to be professional.

Again, consider their understanding of those who are willing to do them serious harm. Then consider what the indications are that the person in front of them is about to do them serious harm.

It's not unheard of for that person to be polite and compliant before attacking the cop to gain an element of surprise. Far more often though, they will test the cop...see how much they can push the cop before they react forcefully. Most will try and gauge if the cop can be successfully "beaten".

Professionalism also serves another function, professionalism leads to more accurate and better threat assessment. If you are professional and are calmly interacting with the citizen then you will be more accurate when/if the citizen tends towards a violent response.

However, if you are some angry yelling screaming frat boy of a cop, then you have no idea if the citizen is reacting to your escalation or if the citizen has earnest ill intent.

The idea that one could know such things to begin with is ridiculous.

You seem to equate authority with using violence the instant you don't get obedience.

I don't, and that isn't what I said.

Why do you keep putting the burden on the untrained person?

The burden?

Yes, citizens should be professional, yes citizens should be helpful. But fear, anger, frustration, etc can make untrained people do stupid things. And I submit, as the trained professional who supposedly took an oath to support and defend the Constitution and protect and serve the citizenry that the burden of making this a safe confrontation falls on you.

So....citizen=human, cop=robot.

Here is the problem I have with your argument. There are legitimate reasons for why a citizen does not comply with a cop's legal order, take Diabetic Coma.

Sometimes escalation is needed, ok, fine. But that does not mean you go all the way and turn off your powers of observation. All escalations should be in phases and they should stop the instant no more escalation is required.

Clearly a case of bad judgement.

FINALLY, yes we are getting somewhere. To answer your question, THEN YOU ESCALATE.

Good....so you agree with how the police resolved this situation?

Police officer punches woman in New Jersey beach arrest - CNN

Cross that bridge when you come to it. He is NO THREAT to the officer, he has a baby in one hand, empty hand in the other, and his demeanor is clearly non threatening. Grab him by the arm, then reassess. If he yanks his arm away, THEN grab him again. If you are unable to stop him from fleeing with these actions THEN escalate but in a manner that protects the innocent baby in his arms-- you know, because an innocent citizen is worth more than your ego.

Again, I don't oppose escalation I oppose NEEDLESS ESCALATION. Especially when there are better ways to handle a situation.

Ever hear the phrase "there's 100 ways to skin a cat"?

Do you understand what that means?

1st amendment Freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.
4th amendment Freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.
5th amendment Right to due process of law, freedom from self-incrimination, double jeopardy.

depending on circumstances.

Which of those do you think is relevant here?

I feel my upbringing gives me the correct perspective on this. I understand both sides whether you think I do or not. As former military, I understand tactics and combat and being in dangerous situations. I also understand a commitment to the Constitution and Oath of Office. I understand the responsibilities of being in a situation where I have near unlimited power and being given the authority by the State to kill people and break things (following Rules of Engagement of course).

Police need to be the bigger person in these sorts of conflicts. They need to leave their ego at the door and understand they are dealing with scared, angry, confused, and emotional citizens. Police need to understand that a wrong decision by them can seriously damage the life and well being of the citizen they are interacting with. Yes, police have their lives on the line, but that is no excuse to disregard your Oath of Office or the Constitution or to deal with situations with contempt and disrespect for the citizenry. Tax paying law abiding citizens need to be viewed as assets and not liabilities. And being "reasonable" should include taking a whole 2 minutes out of your day to explain a situation to a scared, angry, emotional, citizen instead of having the attitude "Do what I say or else!"

Cops can't always explain the reasons they're detaining a subject to the subject at the time. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Imagine if you, as a soldier, had to block traffic to allow a convoy through carrying a VIP of some kind...say a local official the US is supporting or a whatever. The people waiting behind the blockade are getting emotional and upset. They want an explanation for why "their rights are being violated".

Obviously, you can't tell them that without jeopardizing the safe passage of the convoy and the lives of your fellow soldiers.

For someone who keeps bringing up his military training and experience...it seems like it should be blatantly obvious to you that cops run into similar situations all the time. If they've detained someone for the purpose of investigating them...they aren't going to be able to tell them that without compromising the investigation.

That's why they're under no legal obligation to explain these things to the people they are detaining. I can understand why that might confuse or frustrate the clueless....but you have military training and experience. How is it this never occurred to you?

If things need to escalate, fine. But that escalation should be a last resort and it should be taken one step at a time.

Sometimes. Sometimes an escalation should be your first resort. It's not always easy to tell when, and sometimes mistakes are made.

If you endlessly focus on the way things "should" be...you'll always be disappointed. "Should" is an ideal...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's an unattainable and unrealistic thing to measure people by.

It's far more useful to look at how things actually are...and try to consider what makes them that way. If you can figure that out...you can start working on real solutions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums