• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression triggered by pet loss

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My uncle's cat of 20 years died the other day. Sweets was blind and even had a hard time finding his way to poop. So I was happy that he died because now he's free and Youthful. Loss of a loved one doesn't have to be only an occasion for sorrow. It can also be one of peace and joy. There are other cats who require help, one of our cat friends was found walking the train tracks. They need not be found in prison before you can help them.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nozot, did you miss the part where I said Daisy was only three years old? It is NEVER good to lose a kitty at that age for any reason.
Yeah losing a young one is way worse than losing one that has grown old cuz you expect them to die when they are old. any of us can die at any time, that's part of the nature of this world. I had a cousin die at 38, something about his heart being weak. My aunt just found out that one of her ex-boyfriends died and he's only thirty something. he looked super healthy the time I saw him.

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah losing a young one is way worse than losing one that has grown old cuz you expect them to die when they are old. any of us can die at any time, that's part of the nature of this world. I had a cousin die at 38, something about his heart being weak. My aunt just found out that one of her ex-boyfriends died and he's only thirty something. he looked super healthy the time I saw him.
Nope, death is death and it's painful regardless.

Yes, for sure, losing a young kitten is tough. But losing an old one is tough as well. I won't be told that losing my cat after 14 years isn't as hard as losing a newborn cat. I'm sorry, but that was also a family member to me :)

Obviously, there is a lot of grief and anger in this thread. Which is completely understanding.

I can't give me condolences enough, but know I am praying for everyone in this thread who has lost a pet <3

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Daisy was not just a three-year old cat, but a three-year old cat with a senior/geriatric cat disease. There were no risk factors - abnormal kidney anatomy, viruses, bacteria, toxins, urinary crystals/stones, or long fur (breed genetics). She entered my life at age 6 months and was always an indoor-only cat. I would not be surprised at all if Daisy was 10 years older, but there is no logical reason she had CRF early in life.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because I have Asperger's syndrome, my medications list includes a psychotherapy drug called citalipram (Celexa). Usually I am much better on it than if I did not take anything, but now I'm crying like a baby about little things that would not bother most people. The reason is my cat's death - first knowing she had only a few days left, then after she was euthanized on April 18.

I'm sorry for your loss. My husband and I had to put our cat Zander down last year on April 21st. Yes, I still remember the date which my husband thinks it's weird. We never had children so my cats were my children. This one hit the hardest because he was a gift from my husband after my father died. We had 2 other cats previous, Baby- my husband put his foot down that we give away years ago. I mourned him along time and was angry with the hubby for awhile over things which I won't go into. But our other cat, Magic lived to be 19 and 1/2. I didn't think I would ever get over him and he lived a long life.

But a couple of years past and we got Zander in 2012 and as I'm typing this I'm crying. We decided to get a young 2 year old. (our others were kittens) and that was a new experince. It took awhile to get to know him but he was something special. The kind that loved to get all up in your face, lovey dovey but then another minute is running all over the place. All of our cats were wonderful but Zander is still so fresh in my mind and I felt 6 years wasn't enough so I completely feel for you to lose yours at 3 years old. We can never know. Zander had some health problems but not early on. Mainly bowel problems. But in the end it was his liver. But it was so fast. One month he seemed fine and the next month we were putting him down.

My husband doesn't want another cat because of the pain we just went through. I do want one. I feel as if I've still got so much love to give.

I always feel guilty because I at times cry more over animals. Maybe it's because like children, they are so helpless. But prayers for you during this time!

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
People say cats are independent, but that is not true for the cats who come into people's lives. They need to live inside all the time and be cared for by the humans who take them in. Never feel guilty about being a cat mom. We need cats as much as they need us.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People say cats are independent, but that is not true for the cats who come into people's lives

That is so true. Zander was so needy. It made it hard to leave sometimes but I loved coming home and him jumping in my lap to cuddle. Here was sweet Zander loving his banana lol
20161207_123958.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums