• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression triggered by pet loss

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Because I have Asperger's syndrome, my medications list includes a psychotherapy drug called citalipram (Celexa). Usually I am much better on it than if I did not take anything, but now I'm crying like a baby about little things that would not bother most people. The reason is my cat's death - first knowing she had only a few days left, then after she was euthanized on April 18. I am not even thinking about her every time I cry. It can just be something my mom said or the way she talked to me. I cried about being forced to learn how to use an iPhone 5 she gave me, knowing I have no reason to send or receive text messages on it. I hope Christians understand this because until everything is back to normal in my county, I can't adopt a kitten.

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Because I have Asperger's syndrome, my medications list includes a psychotherapy drug called citalipram (Celexa). Usually I am much better on it than if I did not take anything, but now I'm crying like a baby about little things that would not bother most people. The reason is my cat's death - first knowing she had only a few days left, then after she was euthanized on April 18. I am not even thinking about her every time I cry. It can just be something my mom said or the way she talked to me. I cried about being forced to learn how to use an iPhone 5 she gave me, knowing I have no reason to send or receive text messages on it. I hope Christians understand this because until everything is back to normal in my county, I can't adopt a kitten.
I am so sorry I will keep you in my prayers. I still miss my chihuahua Zeke who died last year at nine years old. I too have a disability, Cerebral Palsy. He was a great comfort to me. My little guy.
God will comfort and Provide

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i lost my trusted dog 4 years ago and went psychotic because of it. It is hard to have to miss a pet when you love them. i hope this crisis will soon be over and you can acquire yourself a new trusted friend.

Pets are a great gift of our Creator but most don't live much longer than a decade so we learn to mourn as well. We have another dog now, we call her Shadow. She is even more loveable than Rocky. i thank God that He brought her into our lives.

Take your grief to Jesus He will comfort you with His love and keep you safe from depression.

Peace.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i lost my trusted dog 4 years ago and went psychotic because of it. It is hard to have to miss a pet when you love them. i hope this crisis will soon be over and you can acquire yourself a new trusted friend.

Pets are a great gift of our Creator but most don't live much longer than a decade so we learn to mourn as well. We have another dog now, we call her Shadow. She is even more lovable than Rocky. i thank God that He brought her into our lives.

Take your grief to Jesus He will comfort you with His love and keep you safe from depression.

Peace.

Most domestic cats live longer than that if they are well cared for and never go outside unsupervised. She was one of the rare unlucky cats who suffered unexplained chronic renal failure, far from a typical case. It would not be so bad 10 years later because CRF is very common at age 13. The reason I adopted a kitten was after losing cats in 2006, 2011, and 2016, I thought, "I can't keep losing cats every five years."

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand lose, my grandmother died 7 months ago. I do believe that our comforter, comforts us.

• Prayers
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Ethalee

May 6, 2020
WA
✟18,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I understand lose, my grandmother died 7 months ago. I do believe that our comforter, comforts us.
I lost my grandmother too, last year, not to old age but to suicide. I relate a lot to you, God is a comfort in these times. The pain never really goes away but you can still heal.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I lost my grandmother too, last year, not to old age but to suicide. I relate a lot to you, God is a comfort in these times. The pain never really goes away but you can still heal.
Sorry to hear that, I am always reminded of David and Jonathan. How they were closer than brother's, brother's in arms so to speak, mighty men of valor. Then Jonathan died because of his father. David must of felt pain and loss. Yet he is described as a man after God's own heart.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Grief is great and it hurts. I am sorry or your loss.

Do take the time to grieve.

Utill you are able to get another cat/kitten may invest that you try warning birds, maybe at p a brdfeeder and keep a record prose that come to it.

Not the same as one's own pet, but does give one something to watch and maybe use that phone to take pictures of?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ethalee

May 6, 2020
WA
✟18,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I know grieving takes some time, but every day I expect to be ready for a new kitten before the governor (Republican Ron DeSantis) finally removes the requirement to wear a mask in public.
Aw, please post pictures of the kitty when you get it! I'm sure it'll be adorable

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Aw, please post pictures of the kitty when you get it! I'm sure it'll be adorable

You just gave me an idea: Bring my camera to the shelter.

First things first, how can I cope with not having a cat because of the coronavirus?

Upvote 0

Ethalee

May 6, 2020
WA
✟18,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You just gave me an idea: Bring my camera to the shelter.

First things first, how can I cope with not having a cat because of the coronavirus?
I recommend distracting yourself and focusing on you and your hobbies to take away from the loss and not having a pet to fill your heart

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I recommend distracting yourself and focusing on you and your hobbies to take away from the loss and not having a pet to fill your heart.

COVID-19 is also preventing me from going on a big vacation that was fully booked, visiting a museum at the University of Florida I love, hiking at my favorite parks, swimming, and taking an exercise class at the gym. So the only activities I can do are use the Internet, walk around a church if the weather cooperates, and play Scrabble.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand this loss so well. My Mom was deathly allergic to cats. One day, she brought home a cat because just miraculously, she was healed from it.

It was God sending me one. As soon as I got this cat, the abuse I was enduring from my Dad became much more violent. I turned my back on God, and I felt he sent this cat to me to be the comforter because I didn't have anyone to turn to.

When she passed about six years ago, my heart was shattered and it has been difficult for me to replace a cat like her. She wasn't like other cats and acted very much doglike with me.

It is hard and I know there are so many emotions right now.
It gets easier, but I do feel (at least for me), you will always remember them and it's not an animal you can forget.

I'm sorry. I am praying. I know the loss is so difficult.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as "replacing a cat." They are family members, not property.

That is a shame about your dad. God does send domestic animals to people. He often chooses pets for us and brings them into human lives for unexpected reasons. But I cannot see how that could be true for the cats I recently lost because I wanted a kitten to have her for almost 20 years, not less than four.

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as "replacing a cat." They are family members, not property.

That is a shame about your dad. God does send domestic animals to people. He often chooses pets for us and brings them into human lives for unexpected reasons. But I cannot see how that could be true for the cats I recently lost because I wanted a kitten to have her for almost 20 years, not less than four.
Yes, I know that there is no replacing a cat. Lol. :)

Well, just know I'm praying. I am sorry that I was not able to help you during this time <3 But, know that I am praying for you and the loss is severe. This is a very hard time :(

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Am I selfish for thinking my life sucks because of the coronavirus knowing other people lost HUMAN loved ones to the disease itself?

i don't think you are selfish grieving your cat but it is best not to take too much bad life into your heart for it keeps producing more bad life. Rather ask Jesus to make you thankful that you were allowed to have this cat for four years at least, and bring all the bad life about it to Him to deal with.

Our job is to keep bad life out of our heart and to grow in God's good life. A thankful heart is much better at doing that than a displeased one.

So please do keep an eye on all that as you grief.

:hug:

Upvote 0