• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression is making me lose touch with God

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all, this is my first post. I decided to make my first post about something that has really been bothering me for several years and it is about God and me.

In specific, my problem is about depression and how I am spiritually blind and how I have no guidance anymore and how I wonder around like a stray dog without a home. Why is this? It is simply because of depression. I wouldn't want for people to feel pity for me but I will admit that this is a "normal" feeling for me and I have learned to push this feeling down so much that it is now how I feel when I am neutral it seems.

The medications that I used to take were Fluoxetine and Vyvanse (for ADHD) and when I couldn't afford them I would just take St. John's Wort capsules (which I still take now). Oddly enough when I was taking those two medications, it wasn't the Fluoxetine that would make me happy, but it was the Vyvanse even though it was for ADHD. Only then when I took Vyvanse would I be able to see spiritually. I could feel, I could see, I could do anything (spiritually that is, mind you.)

But my insurance company for my work basically dropped my ability to buy those medications and I had to buy them with my own money and I didn't have it, so I was out of luck.

It is really a struggle and I really do feel this constant pain but what can I do? I can't run away from it, I can't work out to have it go away, I can't fight it to make it go away, and what hurts the most is that I can't pray enough it seems for God to make it go away. If I could potentially describe what it feels like, it would perhaps be the type of headache that you get when you are about the cry. It almost feels like a knot in your brain I guess, it's hard to describe. It's just the sudden feeling of sadness and it is something that I tragically feel every day and I have to ignore it or it will consume me. A side thought tells me that these medications that I took has altered my mind and that really doesn't help my situation and it only furthers my worries of a natural happy life.

You can probably imagine that this situation has caused me to lose sight of God and it has caused me to stop looking outward in the world to potentially figure out how I can help others. It really hurts to not see God and it hurts because how can I heal others when I am not healed myself? The ultimate robbery is when your mind is gone and that is what happened to me!! If I have no mind then I have no thought and if I have no thought then I have no faith, so what do I do? I feel like I'm losing sight of God day by day and I can't figure out what to do. I don't want to give up but I feel like God keeps putting my prayers in his spam folder which then gets moved to the trash and he doesn't want to listen to me and it hurts.

I hope this made sense because how I described myself and how I described normal people are how I think that normal people act. I really don't know how normal people act who don't have depression since I have had depression for many years and I can't really remember myself when I didn't have depression (aka being normal), but I refuse to believe that this mundane sadness, stillness, and idleness is indeed happiness and I am quite sure that it is depression.

Any input would greatly benefit me, thank you.

Last edited:

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not easy living with these issues. I suffer anxiety and depression. 17 years now. Meds for 17 years too. Many ups and downs. Too many to count.

No easy answer except one thing.

Lay all your sufferings at the feet of Jesus. Talk to Him. He loves you my friend.

Remember that as you carry your cross in life, Jesus is indeed carrying you! Never give up on God no matter how hard it gets.

See the verse in my sig below. Give your issues over to Jesus. Offer them up for others.

Not easy i know.

I pray that God will guide you through your problems my friend.

May God bless you and protect you

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all, this is my first post. I decided to make my first post about something that has really been bothering me for several years and it is about God and me.

In specific, my problem is about depression and how and how I am spiritually blind and how I have no guidance anymore and how I wonder around like a stray dog without a home. Why is this? It is simply because of depression. I wouldn't want for people to feel pity for me but I will admit that this is a "normal" feeling for me and I have learned to push this feeling down so much that it is now how I feel when I am neutral it seems.

The medications that I used to take were Fluoxetine and Vyvanse (for ADHD) and when I couldn't afford them I would just take St. John's Wort capsules (which I still take now). Oddly enough when I was taking those two medications, it wasn't the Fluoxetine that would make me happy, but it was the Vyvanse even though it was for ADHD. Only then when I took Vyvanse would I be able to see spiritually. I could feel, I could see, I could do anything (spiritually that is, mind you.)

But my insurance company for my work basically dropped my ability to buy those medications and I had to buy them with my own money and I didn't have it, so I was out of luck.

It is really a struggle and I really do feel this constant pain but what can I do? I can't run away from it, I can't work out to have it go away, I can't fight it to make it go away, and what hurts the most is that I can't pray enough it seems for God to make it go away. If I could potentially describe what it feels like, it would perhaps be the type of headache that you get when you are about the cry. It almost feels like a knot in your brain I guess, it's hard to describe. It's just the sudden feeling of sadness and it is something that I tragically feel every day and I have to ignore it or it will consume me. A side thought tells me that these medications that I took has altered my mind and that really doesn't help my situation and it only furthers my worries of a natural happy life.

You can probably imagine that this situation has caused me to lose sight of God and it has caused me to stop looking outward in the world to potentially figure out how I can help others. It really hurts to not see God and it hurts because how can I heal others when I am not healed myself? The ultimate robbery is when your mind is gone and that is what happened to me!! If I have no mind then I have no thought and if I have no thought then I have no faith, so what do I do? I feel like I'm losing sight of God day by day and I can't figure out what to do. I don't want to give up but I feel like God keeps putting my prayers in his spam folder which then gets moved to the trash and he doesn't want to listen to me and it hurts.

I hope this made sense because how I described myself and how I described normal people are how I think that normal people act. I really don't know how normal people act who don't have depression since I have had depression for many years and I can't really remember myself when I didn't have depression (aka being normal), but I refuse to believe that this mundane sadness, stillness, and idleness is indeed happiness and I am quite sure that it is depression.

Is it the lack of medication that is the problem? All I can do is pray for you. Im one of the lucky ones that doesn't understand depression. No matter how bad life is I've always been happy to just be alive and experience another day. At least once a day I say every day is a good day. It's not that I've been without trials it's that I just see the world different than most. Focus on what brings you joy. Dwell on how lucky you are that God has given you this beautiful gift of life. Rise above the pain.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it the lack of medication that is the problem? All I can do is pray for you. Im one of the lucky ones that doesn't understand depression. No matter how bad life is I've always been happy to just be alive and experience another day. At least once a day I say every day is a good day. It's not that I've been without trials it's that I just see the world different than most. Focus on what brings you joy. Dwell on how lucky you are that God has given you this beautiful gift of life. Rise above the pain.
I think the medication is the problem. I hate having to rely on some pills to be happy but the chemical balance in my head is off so it's a roller coaster ride for me pretty much daily. Perhaps I just need to be more thankful and then that will allow me to power through this sadness that I have. I need to be more thankful for a lot of stuff really but I dwell so much on this one thing that nothing else really matters and I don't pay attention to anything else that God grants me and that is a problem.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In specific, my problem is about depression and how and how I am spiritually blind and how I have no guidance anymore and how I wonder around like a stray dog without a home. Why is this? It is simply because of depression. I wouldn't want for people to feel pity for me but I will admit that this is a "normal" feeling for me and I have learned to push this feeling down so much that it is now how I feel when I am neutral it seems.

I forgot to add that Kratom is a safe and natural way to help you stop taking the meds. If it's legal in your state. It's about as strong as ibuprofen for pain but it blocks the need for those other drugs.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I forgot to add that Kratom is a safe and natural way to help you stop taking the meds. If it's legal in your state. It's about as strong as ibuprofen for pain but it blocks the need for those other drugs.
I'll have to look into that for sure. I hope it works. I'm not sure of North Carolina allows it but I will have to ask around to see. Thank you ^_^

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello! Im sorry you're going through this. Hope you find strength and comfort in God's word too. :crossrc:
I hope so too. There's power in the words and I just have to believe in it a little more than what I've been doing I think. Maybe I have enough belief and I need to wait? I'm quite confused honestly.

Upvote 0

gentlejah

Jan 4, 2017
Ontario
✟17,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Kratom is legal in North Carolina for individuals over the age of 18. There was a bill which intended to ban kratom. But, after various petitions, North Carolina officials amended it by setting an age restriction instead of banning it altogether.

Is Kratom Legal in North Carolina in 2020? - Kraoma

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I feel like I'm losing sight of God day by day and I can't figure out what to do.

I felt the same way in a dark period of my life many years ago. I had to quit a job, and laid on the couch staying at home taking nerve pills to keep my sanity. God brought me out of it though.

To answer your question how, well it's a question that I can answer many ways. I think one needs to start with a foundation agreement with God though that one must be willing to embrace and when I mean embrace I mean with all tenacity. Jesus said first of all,

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matt 11:28

Question is....will we start with that first as the foundation of truth? In other words will commit to the FACT that Jesus said, GOD SAID he WILL give us rest? He said he would? Will we believe that regardless of the words and thoughts the enemy would seek to put in our minds claiming the opposite. It really does no good to talk about what God says of bringing us to victory if we're even going to question the integrity of his statements. So again I ask you. When Jesus said he does not want to see you heavy laden....and he want's to give you rest....will you believe that and believe his words have integrity? You've heard of first things first? I believe with all of us this has got to be first.

I don't want to give up but I feel like God keeps putting my prayers in his spam folder which then gets moved to the trash and he doesn't want to listen to me and it hurts.

So you see what you've done. Right there you've chosen to give into thinking that runs contrary with what he said above in Matt:28 that HE WANTS YOU to have REST and you've put that second place to your feelings. Will we accept the integrity of what he said yeah or nay? I'm confident that you'd like to. Will you?

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I felt the same way in a dark period of my life many years ago. I had to quit a job, and laid on the couch staying at home taking nerve pills to keep my sanity. God brought me out of it though.

To answer your question how, well it's a question that I can answer many ways. I think one needs to start with a foundation agreement with God though that one must be willing to embrace and when I mean embrace I mean with all tenacity. Jesus said first of all,

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matt 11:28

Question is....will we start with that first as the foundation of truth? In other words will commit to the FACT that Jesus said, GOD SAID he WILL give us rest? He said he would? Will we believe that regardless of the words and thoughts the enemy would seek to put in our minds claiming the opposite. It really does no good to talk about what God says of bringing us to victory if we're even going to question the integrity of his statements. So again I ask you. When Jesus said he does not want to see you heavy laden....and he want's to give you rest....will you believe that and believe his words have integrity? You've heard of first things first? I believe with all of us this has got to be first.

So you see what you've done. Right there you've chosen to give into thinking that runs contrary with what he said above in Matt:28 that HE WANTS YOU to have REST and you've put that second place to your feelings. Will we accept the integrity of what he said yeah or nay? I'm confident that you'd like to. Will you?
You're right. I see what you mean. I need to change my priorities and see what is there and see where I have my mind at and switch it around. His words need to be first, not my feelings. I need to be more into his words rather than how I feel. I agree with you.

• Prayers
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Common thing for depressed people, this loss of experiencing self, mind and heart.

But it's not about our ability, feelings, strength or experience. It's about Christ, His ability, His promise, His strength.

When we look at our faith, we often want to feel it. We want to feel its strength, how it burns. But after a while, it can turn against us; are we looking at Christ whom we are gripping with our faith, or are we looking at the strength of our own grip? We should never confuse God with our own ability, or think that God loses His ability or interest if we can't keep up with ours.

If we are weak, which we often are, His strength is made perfect. Of course we all want that reassuring feeling, that experiental strength, but even weak faith goes far beyond what those two can ever accomplish. Childish trusting hope that has nothing to do with our circumstances or how strong we feel our faith is, that is invaluable. Faith simply clings on to God and Christ, no matter how weak we might feel our grip is, no matter the circumstance. And if we feel like we are defeated, the better we learn to surrender all things, even our failures and our weak faith, under His good will.

In short, greater thoughts of Christ, instead of constant despairing thoughts about ourselves. What we can't do, He can, what we Can't see, He sees. What we aren't, He is. What we lack, He has. You are sealed, He has you, your life is hid with Christ. And whatever faith you have, is His gift and His work. He knows what He will do with you and through you. Your depression will not stop Him, it's not an obstacle to Him.

We do it so easily. Even without depression, but certainly with it; we live in this strange confusing bubble in which we are constantly occupied with ourselves, in a certain kind of wallowing where we're circling around ourselves, fixated on experience, emotion and feeling. We don't mean to, but that happens because the experience of depression is so strong and overwhelming. But we make a mistake if we start to view God through that warped lens, because He is not hindered by our circumstances, He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, and it is His strength and power for us we will learn to trust in, instead of our strength and power for Him. He will always be the first, He is the one who saves, He is the one who guides and grows us. It's the strength of His grip, not ours, that matters.

Just hang on in there brother. He knows everything about you, including your struggle. You will learn a lot of patience, and you will learn trust. Some of the best, most gracious and faith-affirming people I have known, are those who have suffered a lot, and many of them from depression. In all their struggles, something strong and immovable was being built and they have been a blessing for many. Some of them don't even know about it, but their presence is a constant blessing for many people, even in little things. Instead of judging, they understand and lift up, and instead of burdening people, they take that burden away.

Try not to worry about how you're going to help others, you will meet those people, they will come into your path. You're not as spiritually blind as you think you are, no matter how much it would seem that way, since you even thought about reaching outward and helping others. It will happen.

Jesus Christ has you. Even in depression. There are so many of us. One day at a time, whatever crosses we may bear. Said a prayer for you brother.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You are very very veryyy lucky. Anxiety is also hellish count your blessings bc its so hard to operate with these things weighing over your head like a black storm cloud.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In specific, my problem is about depression and how I am spiritually blind and how I have no guidance anymore and how I wonder around like a stray dog without a home. Why is this? It is simply because of depression. I wouldn't want for people to feel pity for me but I will admit that this is a "normal" feeling for me and I have learned to push this feeling down so much that it is now how I feel when I am neutral it seems.

i relate to you a lot. i also really struggled with perceiving God in my down moods, meds didn't help one little bit, but made the feeling of being cut off from God even worse. Throughout my teenage and young adult life, i had thought that when i was feeling good, God was with me, but when i was feeling depressed, which i did a lot, then God was angry with me. Only at 38 did i learn i was bi-polar and that thinking like this had caused me untold harm.

So i began to read God's word for guidance, instead of my good mood, and i learned to see that i made a good feeling god inside my heart, and that is what i had done in my whole life. i erroneously crowned feeling good being close to God, this is why when the depression hit i felt so cut of from God for i was cut off from feeling good.

When i made the word of God, living in my heart with love for God and neighbour, God of my heart, then i made a remarkable recovery. For i learned to understand that God was always close and that my very being was in Him and He in me. This solved me feeling godforsaken in my downs and consequently i can suffer my depression now without having to go to that abominable pit. Which is great seeing i suffer from a depressive illness which has since began to reap good life instead of bad life during my depressive moods.

All praises to His Name.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Will we be put to shame when we are weak ?

the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in Christ Jesus will never be put to shame .”-Roman 10:11

Yes, we have heard what our Lord Jesus Christ said to apostle Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you,

for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. -2 Corinthians 12:9

How many can gladly boast of their weakness like apostle Paul !?

I come to find this is what we must do when we are weak !

Why when we know we are weak,

we try to avoid confessing our weaknesses—the most likely reason, we are ashamed to ourselves and others.

Why keep trying when you know nothing could do or say that make a difference? Why we cannot trust in our Lord’s grace !? Why are we afraid ?
can’t the Lord bear our burdens?
or are we ashamed ?

When I admit my weaknesses to the Lord !

When I unload my burden to the Lord !

I remember what my Lord have said :
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. -Matthew 11:28

How great is our Lord’s loving kindness!

Yes, our Lord know our labor ;
what we have thought and done not to be weak!

Yes, we do need the rest that He promised us !

After all, what we have been through to realize that we are weak! Afraid ? or felt shame when remember what others mock or hate us. What can we do ?

Be gracious to me, O LORD! See my affliction from those who hate me, O You who lift me up from the gates of death, -Psalms 9:13

that I may recount all your praises, that in the gates of the daughter of Zion I may rejoice in your salvation. -Psalms 9:14

Yes, our Lord continue to be gracious to us.

He knows even when those hate us afflict us.

How awesome that our Lord lift us up from the gates of death!

Yes, our Lord is worthy of praise because He saves us !

Though we may not see the way out of our weaknesses,

we are glad that He gives His grace.

How wonderful that we can receive hope from our Lord !

When we admit our weaknesses, we trust our Lord in His saving power to help us in our weaknesses.

How great is His power working in our life !

When we trust our Lord with our burdens,
our Lord bears our burdens daily.
How great is His loving kindness!

Yes, we can trust in His steadfast love to carry us through when we are weak !

We who trust in the Lord, we will not be put to shame !

We just need to come to Him and trust in His steadfast love that He gives us rest.

Let us reaffirm what we know :
And we know that for those who love God
all things work together for good,
for those who are called
according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28

Lord,
I pour my heart before You....
I trust You.
You know this is my weaknesses....,
I know You can help.
I believe Lord that You will show Your mighty works in my life.
I believe Lord that You reveal Your glorious power in my life.
I trust in Your steadfast love.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God,
You are my refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble. -Psalms 46:1
I love my Lord, my God.
I believe all things work for good,
For I who love You.
For You have called me according to Your purpose.
I trust You, Lord that none who waits on Your steadfast love will be put to shame.
Thank You, Lord, for Your steadfast love.
Thank You, Lord, that You give me rest for my soul.
Hallelujah
Amen

When depressing thoughts and feelings come to you, just pray again and again until all depression disappear!

Trust the Lord that He can rescue you out of all depressions !

Sure you can ask me questions!
Yes, The Lord have delivered me out of depression and strengthen me !
May God comfort you with the comfort which I myself receive from the Lord.

May the sharing of our faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.

GBU

Upvote 0

Rusty6113

Sep 5, 2020
Finksburg, MD
✟8,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not easy living with these issues. I suffer anxiety and depression. 17 years now. Meds for 17 years too. Many ups and downs. Too many to count.

No easy answer except one thing.

Lay all your sufferings at the feet of Jesus. Talk to Him. He loves you my friend.

Remember that as you carry your cross in life, Jesus is indeed carrying you! Never give up on God no matter how hard it gets.

See the verse in my sig below. Give your issues over to Jesus. Offer them up for others.

Not easy i know.

I pray that God will guide you through your problems my friend.

May God bless you and protect you

Upvote 0

Rusty6113

Sep 5, 2020
Finksburg, MD
✟8,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I suffer from major depression my self, It can definitely add to suicided ideations. I have ever tried o kill my self, but with this runt in, the depression is back.

My advice to drink zero alcohol. And its exercise time. The Lord is giving us this time too improve your personal walk with Him.

And no when your full of depression and about hopeless its very to picture this is happen, Do not get mad at the Lord, get in the Word, pray without ceasing, and God just try to follow the example Jesus (staff edit).

i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, And satan knows very well you're down. He's whispering things in ear that its all impossible and your faith may be "weak" bc you had a rough day.

Keep staying in the Word and praying to him for maybe different medication. I still haven't found a antidepressant that helps. Different form of medical marijuana can help. The cbd products are amazing Fox Hole prayers are cherished.

ONCE you get through this trial, only God what comes next. Remember you ARE not alone. Praying for you,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0