• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression and the TV News

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How do you cope with TV News if in depression? Do you turn it off?

Before i became depressed, for a while during my teens I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the news, at times I felt somewhat guilty about not giving it much attention. As I got older began to pay a good deal more attention to world affairs in the News. Some of it I believe I prayed about at the time. But when I began to be depressed the News just reinforced the depression and my pessimistic world-picture. Living at home I could'n't avoid it at meal times either, and along with other things it pushed me into a serious depression.

I'd like to get out of depression and have a healthy interest in whats going on. Even if I watch the news now I don't really care much about whats happening, so I don't see a lot of point in subjecting myself to its negativity, and its secularised take on events - the two seem to combine to leave one feeling hopeless.

Last edited:

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ow do you cope with TV News if in depression? Do you turn it off?

i haven't listened to the news for 23 years and haven't missed the doom and gloom whatsoever. i promised God i never listen to the news again. It has been designed to shock and makes you live in constant dread and fear. i have learned to hate the media.

i ponder on God's truths a lot and have found that it is best to get to know God's loving truth and how He can support you through your times of depression. Keeping my eyes on Jesus has really taught me that even depression can produce good life spiritually inside my heart, His loving truth is incredible and saves my life from the pit.

Something the media undermines the Lord nourishes and that is a strong healthy love life in and with Him.

Peace.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i haven't listened to the news for 23 years and haven't missed the doom and gloom whatsoever. i promised God i never listen to the news again. It has been designed to shock and makes you live in constant dread and fear. i have learned to hate the media.

i ponder on God's truths a lot and have found that it is best to get to know God's loving truth and how He can support you through your times of depression. Keeping my eyes on Jesus has really taught me that even depression can produce good life spiritually inside my heart, His loving truth is incredible and saves my life from the pit.

Something the media undermines the Lord nourishes and that is a strong healthy love life in and with Him.

Peace.

But you pick up bits and pieces of whats going on do you not? Do you read the papers? Do you just trust God to make you aware of what you need to know about?

Most people just listen to the bits they are interested in, but for some reason I find it hard to tune out if its on, and listen selectively. I don't know why that is, but I feel I need to get away from it till I can do that again. I am in my own place now which makes it a bit easier.

I grant a lot of it we don't need to know about. I haven't been really interested in much of what going on in the world, and I feel that is bad that I hardly care. But I think its the manner in which its reported at times, do the news casters care about what they are reporting, maybe a few, but more often its just about grabbing the viewers attention. I think the quality of news readers has gone down, from what they used to be.

Then I also wonder if I am being manipulated somewhat. Here in the UK there is criticism of the BBC, a couple of books have been written on that.

I don't know however if I cut it out entirely whether I would feel more anxious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you pick up bits and pieces of whats going on do you not? Do you read the papers? Do you just trust God to make you aware of what you need to know about?

No i don't listen to the news whatsoever. i hate being fed those carefully crafted lies. For years i worked as a street worker on the streets of a major city and learned to understand that what happens on the streets in real life and what is reported are more often than not two entirely different accounts.

Big events i still hear about for the rest of my family watches the news and come back with the main stories but otherwise i'm blissfully unaware of all those great dangers they go on about 24/7.

Honest i haven't missed the news whatsoever, totally unneeded to be able to survive depression and it certainly lessened my anxiety a great deal.

Jesus taught me to understand that negativity breeds negativity, or like the bible says what you sow you shall harvest. Once i realised that often deeply depressed i sowed a lot of bad life and harvested only more bad life as a result. i began to understand something i had not done in my life up to then. With Jesus i have learned to sow good life, like patience, trust, faithfulness, kindness, love, grace, forgiveness, long suffering, honesty, caring, endurance and fearlessness, amazing how this changes the way my bouts of depression effect me. The more of God's good life i have gained the better i fare through my depressive bouts. His loving truth protects my life from the pit.

Peace.

• Friendly
Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0