• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression and how I try to handle it.

Tarvorok

Custos Dei
Jan 14, 2019
Kansas
✟14,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've had depression in some form or another all my life, and there have been circumstances that have caused it to assault me for years at a time and there have been times where I have literally tried to end my life, but I have gotten better at handling it as I have grown older.

I didn't have the best life growing up and a lot of sources of encouragement really weren't there, fast forward to now and my living situation is a lot better, I actually have people that give a hoot about my well-being and that's certainly something nice to be surrounded by.

I still deal with depression though, it comes and goes mainly, but I have noticed that it will hit me at the most random of times, even when nothing bad is going on.

Like the other day I was just sitting in my room listening to music and I felt the dark cloud of depression wash over me, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it just hit me like that, but as time went on I started to dwell on negative thoughts, but eventually I snapped out of it.

One of the things I dislike the most is when people tell me to just "cheer up" or "get over it." If only they knew that it wasn't that easy. Depression is not a joke and should never be treated as such, it is a foul beast that I wish didn't exist.

I've also been on so many anti-depressants in my lifetime that I've stopped taking them for three years and never will again under my own power, they have never worked for me.

I always try my best to help people out however I can if they are suffering from depression too, no one deserves to be alone in that fight.

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes those depressed feelings can be addictive in their own way. Sometimes exercise is useful for breaking that mood. Or do you have a creative outlet? Also worship can be very cathartic. Please don't try to end your own life. Life is short enough as it is and there is so much to see and experience.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me depression is a very negative energy like that dark cloud you are talking about . Science tells us energy is like a wave and the way to overcome a wave is through a bigger wave .So i do spoken prayers in the mornings and evenings to clear out negative energy it works for me .I just have to remember to do it .

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Major depression is alike to the great desolation within our inner world of being. Depression is darkness at its worst, a true monster to be afraid off.

However i found that replacing the lies of depression with the truth of God's promises is the best way to overcome this abominable desolation.

God's Word is very familiar with depression, many psalms and prophet speak about the struggle they had in the pit. Jeremiah, like Job cursed the day he was born.

Finding God in our suffering happens when we understand that He also suffers all wrongs and knows full well what suffering is like. Not only does God know suffering He in Jesus overcame all human suffering, including depression and desolation and brought it to a good ending.

It is for this reason that God's truth is so good to use when we are depressed. The more we find life it its truths the more protected from deepest suffering we are.

Isaiah 61:1-7
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
Strangers will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
And you will be called priests of the Lord,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.

Instead of your shame
you will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
you will rejoice in your inheritance.
And so you will inherit a double portion in your land,
and everlasting joy will be yours.

Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I actually have people that give a hoot about my well-being and that's certainly something nice to be surrounded by.

It is nice, isn't it? I'm sorry you didn't have that when you were growing up. Just a little bit of real love makes a huge difference. I only pray that those who don't have loving people around them, would come to depend on God for the greatest love there is, and get everlasting hope. People often fail us, and we can fail the ones we've supposed to love, but God's love is perfect.

You also said that you always try your best to help people out however you can. Nobody knows how precious love is, than those who have been deprived of it at any crucial point in their lives, who have been thirsting and grieving for it. So through all your troubles, you are now blessed, because you understand what depression and despair is like, and whenever you see someone struggling with it, you can't help but feel compassion and you are in excellent position to encourage, comfort and help that person. You are enabled to love with a giving heart, and it's the greatest blessing I could think of as it carries all kinds of fruits in the spirit.

You're right, it's easy to say "snap out of it". It's easy to not care. And sometimes, some people do care, but they find themselves helpless in the face of depression and despair, and they can't find words. But with God's graceful guidance, we can learn to tell the difference. Sometimes we can help someone to help us, and vice versa.

God bless you in your struggles (and stillness too).

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a number of threads going in CF now and as an OP they help me through the supportive responses I get. I occasionally contribute to other threads and that helps too, I hope my posts there help others. I need to do more of that.
On secular website (TES - teachers - from the UK) posters reject praying as of no help. I constantly pray to help me through my depression, but like the medication prescribed by my doctor there is no long-term effect. I have given up the medication, but an occasional strong drink gives some immediate help but I know that is not so clever. I ask for forgiveness afterwards.
I find morning devotions good whilst I am doing them with my wife, but waves of depression frequently come over me especially early morning when I first wake. I could write so much more, sorry for the rant. Thank you for reading this far.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Norman good to see you post here. Yes depression is the pits and it can seem that our prayers are unanswered and even feel that we are godforsaken. It are those terrible lies that depression keeps throwing at us. Lies like prayer doesn't help, God doesn't care, or God has judged you to hell, or you are under a curse. Lies like these can easily destroy our faith in God's loving truth, yet it is faith in God's loving truth that we need to be able to get away from depressive power.

For years i was in my pit. i suffer from a depressive illness and for years i believed my depressed feelings and heeded my depressed thoughts until Jesus pointed out to me that what you sow you shall harvest. i realised my mistake and began to sow good life, like love, kindness, gentleness, patience, long suffering, endurance, self control and a firm faith in God's loving truth and the change it could make to my heart.

Good life came back even though my depressive illness continued. At first for mere seconds. Then minutes. Then hours, then a day, then days and then weeks. Sure i get still depressed but i'm not in the pit any more. Down and fighting my depressive thoughts and feelings with God's loving truth. Such a difference it makes.

i highly recommend you trade your bad life for His good life. Honest a growing faith in His love will bring you new hopes and such hopes in God will not disappoint you.

Be of good courage.

Upvote 0