• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Depressing anime.

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by Chamdar, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Chamdar

Chamdar Newbie

+10
    Wesleyan
    Single
    US-Others
    I think the most obvious one is FullMetal Alchemist. There were several episodes which just left me an emotional wreck, they were so sad.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop are downers, too.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. crishmael

crishmael nothing but the rain

+1,271
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Black Lagoon had its moments.

3. Qyöt27

Qyöt27 AMV Editor At Large

+527
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
    Clannad (movie)
    5 Centimeters per Second
    Mahoromatic
    Kanon (especially the Makoto story arc)

There are others, but those are the ones that immediately came to mind.

4. meowmix

meowmix The Talking Cat

+2,318
    Atheist
    Private
    Its Sad when Characters die...

5. Jun_love_love

Jun_love_love New Member

+0
    Christian Seeker
    Fate/stay night and Bible black.
    Also, in the Happiness OVA when Jun turned back into a boy.

6. WhoseEyesAreThoseEyes

WhoseEyesAreThoseEyes New Member

+0
    Christian
    Married
    Clannad and Kanon! You have great taste in anime if you like dem yo.

Oyther depressing ones are:
    Elfen Lied

And other than those the Chaos;Head anime was really really really depressing because it was so bad and disappointed me so much after I played the Visual Novel (which was teh awesome) so it made me cry.

BRUDA:clap::priest::liturgy::kiss::amen::p;):):priest::crosseo::crosseo::crosseo::groupray::groupray::groupray::prayer::liturgy:^_^^_^:thumbsup::cool::p:sorry::confused::confused::confused::idea::bow::bow::liturgy::liturgy::priest::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::kiss::kiss::preach::preach::preach::preach::preach::preach::preach::preach::preach::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::);):liturgy::liturgy::liturgy::crossrc::crossrc::crossrc::crossrc::liturgy::preach::bow::bow::pray::pray::prayer::prayer::crossrc:

:hug:

7. The Theory

The Theory Bagpipes well could he blow.

+73
    Christian
    Single
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Haibane Renmei
    Voices of a Distant Star

VoaDS is a fairly short OAV while GotF is a Studio Ghibli film. Haibane is a series, and perhaps one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. Mankin

Mankin A Strange Mixture of Random Components. Supporter

+157
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Darker than Black was relatively depressing.

Code Geass's ending was depressing(unless they make an OVA) Code Geass fans, you know what I'm referring to.:p

9. Staccato

Staccato Tarut keeps on dreaming Supporter

+284
    Deist
    Private
    US-Others
    I concur with Haibane Renmei. It's not depressing per se, but the last episode completely blows you away. It's the only time I've ever cried over an anime series.

10. Blessed-one

Blessed-one a long journey ahead

+169
    Protestant
    Single
    FMA is sad?!...

I agree. Some episodes are pretty depressing, but overall, FMA is pretty hopeful. For overall depressing animes, I'd nominate:

Grave of Fireflies.
    Saikano.

11. The Theory

+73
    Christian
    Single
    Just watched Barefoot Gen this morning... OOoomph! Very similar to Grave of the Fireflies, but I might just give BG the nod for being even more depressing, just because the characters are more likable and, thus, the hardships are a harder hit.

12. meowmix

meowmix The Talking Cat

+2,318
    Atheist
    Private
    Yes I just watched Grave of the Fireflys 2 days ago.

Its very depressing.

13. The Theory

+73
    Christian
    Single
    I just watched the series Saikano... and I'll tell you what... right from the get-go in the first few episodes until the end the thing is just one ghastly event after another. There were times I was just going "oh...my...god..." at how things were starting to derail like a train. On a really high bridge. With nothing but raging waters below.

14. zeze

zeze Guest

+0
    idk...

15. meowmix

meowmix The Talking Cat

+2,318
    Atheist
    Private
    lol

16. levantine_farwell

levantine_farwell Newbie

+1
    Methodist
    Single
    I think there's a major difference between saddening and depressing anime. Evangelion is definitely depressing as it is dark and devoid of hope. Anyway, in this sense, I don't think Grave of Fireflies and FMA are depressing. They're just sad at most.

17. meowmix

meowmix The Talking Cat

+2,318
    Atheist
    Private
    death note

18. The Theory

+73
    Christian
    Single
    Oh, there is definitely a difference between the two terms... although the actual judgment on whether an anime fits more into the former or latter category is more up to how each individual viewer reacts to it.

19. Eagle_Girl

Eagle_Girl Newbie

+1
    Christian
    Private
    Barefoot Gen was hard to watch and that's what really happened too. Grave of Fireflies is pretty sad too and I watched Gantz, it's very depressing and dark.

20. Bampot

Bampot Junior Member

+8
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Wolf's Rain is pretty depressing. Especially the last couple episodes.