✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No.

Nor is it a sin to depict non-humans as never fallen.

How about if the creatures are identical to upright potbellied pigs in physical form with a few modifications? The reason I ask is because I once wrote a sci-fi novel which included two extraterrestrial species of that kind and once I had finished it my conscience kicked in because I remembered that the pig is an animal classified as unclean in the Hebrew scriptures.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How about if the creatures are identical to upright potbellied pigs in physical form with a few modifications? The reason I ask is because I once wrote a sci-fi novel which included two extraterrestrial species of that kind and once I had finished it my conscience kicked in because I remembered that the pig is an animal classified as unclean in the Hebrew scriptures.

What exactly is the meaning of unclean?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is it a sin for a sci-fi writer to depict non-human material creatures as having all of mankind's attributes which make man an image of God?
You worry about the strangest things.

If your God is real I would not imagine he gives a fig for this (or for a great many things a lot of Americans seem to get all hot and bothered about).

I would imagine he's above all of that.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What exactly is the meaning of unclean?

Well, there is spiritual uncleanness which involves sin or immorality. That's why demons are referred to as unclean.

“When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walks through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he finds it empty, swept, and garnished. Then he goes and takes with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself and they enter back in… and the last state of that man is worse than the first.” (Mat 12:43-45)

Physical uncleanness which involves not bathing or harboring of a contagious disease such as leprosy.
Laws About Leprosy - Leviticus 13 - NKJV

Christians are not under the Mosaic Law so they need not refrain from eating any of the prohibited meat specified under the Mosaic Law.

Here is an article which provides an explaining as to why the eating of pork was discouraged:
Why did the Old Testament Law command against the eating of pork?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, there is spiritual uncleanness which involves sin or immorality. That's why demons are referred to as unclean.

“When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walks through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he finds it empty, swept, and garnished. Then he goes and takes with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself and they enter back in… and the last state of that man is worse than the first.” (Mat 12:43-45)

Physical uncleanness which involves not bathing or harboring of a contagious disease such as leprosy.
Laws About Leprosy - Leviticus 13 - NKJV

Christians are not under the Mosaic Law so they need not refrain from eating any of the prohibited meat specified under the Mosaic Law.

Here is an article which provides an explaining as to why the eating of pork was discouraged:
Why did the Old Testament Law command against the eating of pork?

Doesn't unclean mean not allowed to be on holy ground?

Upvote 0

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it a sin for a sci-fi writer to depict non-human material creatures as having all of mankind's attributes which make man an image of God?
Well there are some animals that are being created that the people during the times of Noah were doing.

RENO, Nev. — On a farm about six miles outside this gambling town, Jason Chamberlain looks over a flock of about 50 smelly sheep, many of them possessing partially human livers, hearts, brains and other organs. Scientists create animals that are part-human

FastStats

Book of Jasher 4:16 And all the sons of men departed from the ways of the Lord in those days as they multiplied upon the face of the earth with sons and daughters, and they taught one another their evil practices and they continued sinning against the Lord.

17 And every man made unto himself a god, and they robbed and plundered every man his neighbor as well as his relative, and they corrupted the earth, and the earth was filled with violence.

18 And their judges and rulers went to the daughters of men and took their wives by force from their husbands according to their choice, and the sons of men in those days took from the cattle of the earth, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and taught the mixture of animals of one species with the other, in order therewith to provoke the Lord; and God saw the whole earth and it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted its ways upon earth, all men and all animals.

Book of Jasher 2:19 For in those days the sons of men began to trespass against God, and to transgress the commandments which he had commanded to Adam, to be fruitful and multiply in the earth.

20 And some of the sons of men caused their wives to drink a draught that would render them barren, in order that they might retain their figures and whereby their beautiful appearance might not fade.

21 And when the sons of men caused some of their wives to drink, Zillah drank with them.

Matthew 24:37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Upvote 0

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well there are some animals that are being created that the people during the times of Noah were doing.

RENO, Nev. — On a farm about six miles outside this gambling town, Jason Chamberlain looks over a flock of about 50 smelly sheep, many of them possessing partially human livers, hearts, brains and other organs. Scientists create animals that are part-human

FastStats

Book of Jasher 4:16 And all the sons of men departed from the ways of the Lord in those days as they multiplied upon the face of the earth with sons and daughters, and they taught one another their evil practices and they continued sinning against the Lord.

17 And every man made unto himself a god, and they robbed and plundered every man his neighbor as well as his relative, and they corrupted the earth, and the earth was filled with violence.

18 And their judges and rulers went to the daughters of men and took their wives by force from their husbands according to their choice, and the sons of men in those days took from the cattle of the earth, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and taught the mixture of animals of one species with the other, in order therewith to provoke the Lord; and God saw the whole earth and it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted its ways upon earth, all men and all animals.

Book of Jasher 2:19 For in those days the sons of men began to trespass against God, and to transgress the commandments which he had commanded to Adam, to be fruitful and multiply in the earth.

20 And some of the sons of men caused their wives to drink a draught that would render them barren, in order that they might retain their figures and whereby their beautiful appearance might not fade.

21 And when the sons of men caused some of their wives to drink, Zillah drank with them.

Matthew 24:37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

I read the book of Jasher found here:
Book of Jasher, Chapter 2
Book of Jasher, Chapter 4

It is different from what you are quoting.
So you are quoting a different version-correct?

Upvote 0

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think "God's image" simply refers to moral sentience--the ability to discern right from wrong and to feel badly about wrong actions. Any creatures real (future) or imagined (AI or aliens) who have this capacity would rightly be said to share the image of God.

Personally, I think it is only a matter of time until:
  • Chimpanzees catch up with us. They already have a rudimentary sense of justice and empathy -- the ground of morality. They have been spotted engaging in the most rudimentary of religious actions -- worshiping at scenes of great beauty, and other ritualistic behavior.
  • AI sentience. It's still off in the future, but anyone should be able to see it coming. Programmers are already working on moral programming.
As far as aliens go, it could go either way. I don't think we've got any for sure evidence that life exists outside of our own planet, but given the infinite number of planets in the infinite number of galaxies, it is almost impossible to imagine a universe without other life.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think "God's image" simply refers to moral sentience--the ability to discern right from wrong and to feel badly about wrong actions. Any creatures real (future) or imagined (AI or aliens) who have this capacity would rightly be said to share the image of God.

Personally, I think it is only a matter of time until:
  • Chimpanzees catch up with us. They already have a rudimentary sense of justice and empathy -- the ground of morality. They have been spotted engaging in the most rudimentary of religious actions -- worshiping at scenes of great beauty, and other ritualistic behavior.
  • AI sentience. It's still off in the future, but anyone should be able to see it coming. Programmers are already working on moral programming.
As far as aliens go, it could go either way. I don't think we've got any for sure evidence that life exists outside of our own planet, but given the infinite number of planets in the infinite number of galaxies, it is almost impossible to imagine a universe without other life.

I have always considered the angelic creatures described in the Bible as aliens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have always considered the angelic creatures described in the Bible as aliens.
Not me. Aliens are beings that live on other planets elsewhere in the universe. Angels are spiritual beings that exist in the heavenly realm, which is an entirely different dimension.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not me. Aliens are beings that live on other planets elsewhere in the universe. Angels are spiritual beings that exist in the heavenly realm, which is an entirely different dimension.
Well, extra dimensional beings are tagged as aliens in sci fi. Heaven is like another dimension. Also, the term extraterrestrial means that the creature isn't from our earth. It isn't limited to planets. In the Star Trek New Generation series the Q don't live on a planet but in some nefarious ther dimension but are still considered aliens.

• Informative
Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I suppose that begs the question of how exact are we to God's image? And from there, how much difference is required to qualify as " not god's image"

I doubt it is a sin, what is done with it would be more important

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont think its a sin. I think sci-fi and fantasy writing can be inspiring. I dont write much sci-fi but I sometimes do write fantasy.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Not at all in my opinion, especially since I've never gotten a clear answer as to what being in the image and likeness of God actually means.

It can't be emotions because animals can feel emotions.

It can't be intelligence because some animals like dolphins have pretty high intelligence.

It can't be having two arms, two legs, and two eyes because many animals do.

It can't be our basic physical structure because primates have a similar look, though granted we have no tails, bigger brains, and not much hair. And in any case God wasn't seen as having a physical body before Jesus.

It can't be having a soul because if animals didn't have souls, they wouldn't have will or personality and heaven wouldn't be heaven at all.

Upvote 0