• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

depending on God or just testing God?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by marcosgpro, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM.

1. marcosgpro

marcosgpro New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    God bless fellow believers. evertime I have a concerned, troubles or something in my mind I thank Jesus that we have this online community where I can ask for help. what a great era we live in ! anyway, one of the topics that I have been struggling to understand is how and why we should depend on God and get our comfort zone. In my understanding, comfort zone is not a sin, but it prevents growth and promotes the illusion we don't need God as much or at all until something bad happens; we can depend on our own power to get it solve. I struggle with this because , even though I am very grateful to be comfortable and have a good life thus far, I am aware that I need to step off my comfort zone to know Jesus more. but I am afraid to do that depending on what I am supposed to do to get out of that zone and I am doing my very best to not over think this: but where do we draw the line? if God put me in that situation where I need him somehow then sure is meant to be, but what if I got myself in trouble by my own actions or did something foolish such as going to 3rd world country to help others where I know I could die due to war or disease in that area and God didn't told me to go there , but I did it because I want to help others? and I pray that he will protect me and nothing will hurt me despite never getting an answer on whether that was his will. i am sure stepping out my comfort zone since im putting my life at risk, but wouldnt that be testing God? God doesn't ask us to follow blind faith nor test God. so where do I draw the line between getting out of my comfort zone to depend on him and acting foolish and testing him provide my needs or rescue me ? I know I have to pray about this, and hopefully I get an answer because I am depending on him for these concerns and not act foolish. or am I missing some perspective? if I was very spiritual I wouldn't be asking you guys about this because I know for a fact that God will rescue me or guide me when I need to depend on him, because I will have that direct connection for different situations. I want to get there to that point , but I am not and all I got is just people's experience and evidence from the Bible to go by such as how David had to depend on God and God help David kill Goliath with just a small pebble. or where Daniel was thrown down the lion's den because of standing for his faith against an evil King but he survived. i don't know how can I apply those stories to every specific situation in my life where I have no choice to depend on God. I am very logical thinker but I want to learn how to live by just trusting him as well and not have to think things through for everything. thank you for reading.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. maintenance man

maintenance man Member

+61
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I know exactly how you feel and it is something that weighs on all of us.

You might try reading "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby.

You will discover ways to move closer to God and identify His urging.

3. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,247
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So, this is good that you know this. Thank God that you have found this out, and trust Him to do what He is committed to doing with you. He cares and is more committed, than you are >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

I think it is not for us to be able to figure things out in every detail, but we grow to become more and more able to submit to however God guides us at every moment.

And there are times He has us doing what is comfortable, but we are depending on Him for how He has us doing the nicer things. We with God can be more creative, to do better than how we might be able to get our own selves to do something that is easier. So, while things are nicer > you are the one being tested to see if you will seek God and how He has you doing things while you are comfortable.

And when things become obviously impossible > do the same thing > keep seeking God to personally keep you in love and joy and peace and to personally guide you, even creatively to be able to love and help others even while you are in trouble, or someone you care about is. God will not only take care of you > you might read and feed on how God took care of Joseph in his horrible situation > Genesis 37-50.

What I notice is that God is all-loving, and so He did not only rescue Joseph, but He used Joseph to do good to many people, including with personal loving and family blessings because God our Father is about family caring and sharing love :)

So, by the way, do not get yourself isolated with trying to figure out only what God wants with you. But share as family with other Jesus people, so you can help one another and share together in how God has you loving and serving.

About going into a dangerous missionary field >
    I understand that in order to do God's will, we need God to make us able to submit to His personal guiding in His peace > Philippians 2:13, Colossians 3:15, Proverbs 3:5-6. So, I would say you need to trust God to change and have others pray for you so you can sense and submit to how He guides you more and more all the time, which comes with growing and correction and maturity, and being tested with nicer and harder situations in which to seek God and stay attentive to Him.

Yes, that is considered to be such a great thing, but notice how later David did what he did with Bathsheba and to her husband Uriah. So, he was able to do something of great faith, but he had not matured in how love would have kept him from sinning like that, later. So, we need to grow more in Jesus, and not depend on making great gestures so we think we are serving God.

4. marcosgpro

marcosgpro New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    thank you for your time . you made my issue a bit simpler .I know where to start