I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have really got something on my mind. When someone asked Jesus about how many will enter heaven....and he said make every effort to enter through thr narrow door, because many, I tell you will try to enter and will not be able too.
And...he said in Luke 9:23, If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

So denying yourself....is this on a grand scale or is it with everyday simple stuff? I'm confused and trying to learn WHAT we are denying. Is it our wants? Our desires? Riches? College educations? Making the best of OUR life on our terms?

I don't want riches, I just want my debt paid off, I don't need a fancy house and new car, I don't have alot of nice and expensive clothes, I don't want to chase some big dream....although I did open a Etsy shop and sell my handmade crafts to help me stay afloat.
I do enjoy my video games..swimming pool..and other "pleasure" things...I feel I live a simple life.

I'm just not sure what I need to give up? I stay home...I don’t go out much (fibromyalgia, but im doing better) I'm kinda lost..not sure if pleasures are wrong now. I have a 9,000 piece puzzle waiting in a box to be put together...thats enjoyable and pleasurable..and something I want to do..see...I dont know where the fine line is.

This to me, is one of the hardest things to do..self denial. We are always about ourselves...our feelings, etc.(not everyone, but human nature is selfish) He even said..some will try to get in..but can't. Ahh...so if someone asks for forgiveness but continues want things in his life...higher education..bigger house, new cars, etc..is he not giving up his life?

Sorry so long...

And then I always think about the sinner who was beside Jesus and believed who he was...im assuming at that moment. Jesus said he would be with him in paradise. Did this man give up his life for Jesus before this point? If he was on a cross to be put to death I wouldn't think so.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
in my own life, the best way i've found to deny self and take up His cross is to ask this simple question all through the day:

what should i be doing right now Lord? - and then follow peace about what i should be doing

to me, it's when you set your heart to make Him Lord as well as Savior, when you set your heart to be led by Him, that you take up your cross to follow Him. the principle thing is maintaining a relationship with God, and i think you'll find that what you give up for Him, He will give back to you when your heart is right about it :)

(Jer 10:23) O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

(Psa 37:23) The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
(Psa 37:24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
(Psa 37:25) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Pro_16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

(Rom 8:12) Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
(Rom 8:13) For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
(Rom 8:14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Upvote 0

windwhistler

Oct 21, 2020
Midwest
✟18,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with this one also. When I was a younger Christian with children at home, sometimes I became too involved with projects (One at a time) - like oil painting, gardening etc. Eventually the Holy Spirit seemed to ask that I give each up so I obeyed. For some reason it is more difficult now. How much time should I spend on Bible study and prayer? It seems harder to get started on Bible study, but once I begin, I enjoy it. Remembering to pray is even more difficult.

Even before I was home bound, The Holy Spirit reminded me how important it was to be faithful in the little things. Now that I am homebound that practice helps. Do something to help out my husband even when fatigue makes it difficult. I can feel the nudge often and actually am happy when there is something I can do. Or do not say anything when something irritates me. (That is much more difficult.)

I hate gossip but so easily fall into it. I pray to remember to deny myself that temptation. When having a conversation and realize I'm talking too much, I ask the other person a question.

Because I'm aware that I am far too "I" centered I keep praying that the "I" becomes much more "other" focused.

Sometimes I think that if I wanted desperately to know more of God, I would spend all my free time in Scripture and prayer and none on reading books for pleasure (my main pleasure now). I pray for that kind of desire for God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This to me, is one of the hardest things to do..self denial.

This is our man cross, the symbol of our discipleship. This is how we are transformed by grace that gives us the discernment to know when to take care of ourselves and when to sacrifice ourselves. It is small everyday things as well as large life changing things.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have really got something on my mind. When someone asked Jesus about how many will enter heaven....and he said make every effort to enter through thr narrow door, because many, I tell you will try to enter and will not be able too.
And...he said in Luke 9:23, If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

So denying yourself....is this on a grand scale or is it with everyday simple stuff? I'm confused and trying to learn WHAT we are denying. Is it our wants? Our desires? Riches? College educations? Making the best of OUR life on our terms?

I don't want riches, I just want my debt paid off, I don't need a fancy house and new car, I don't have alot of nice and expensive clothes, I don't want to chase some big dream....although I did open a Etsy shop and sell my handmade crafts to help me stay afloat.
I do enjoy my video games..swimming pool..and other "pleasure" things...I feel I live a simple life.

I'm just not sure what I need to give up? I stay home...I don’t go out much (fibromyalgia, but im doing better) I'm kinda lost..not sure if pleasures are wrong now. I have a 9,000 piece puzzle waiting in a box to be put together...thats enjoyable and pleasurable..and something I want to do..see...I dont know where the fine line is.

This to me, is one of the hardest things to do..self denial. We are always about ourselves...our feelings, etc.(not everyone, but human nature is selfish) He even said..some will try to get in..but can't. Ahh...so if someone asks for forgiveness but continues want things in his life...higher education..bigger house, new cars, etc..is he not giving up his life?

Sorry so long...

And then I always think about the sinner who was beside Jesus and believed who he was...im assuming at that moment. Jesus said he would be with him in paradise. Did this man give up his life for Jesus before this point? If he was on a cross to be put to death I wouldn't think so.
I am denying myself food to try to improve my health.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it means something different for everyone. My denial included a career, friendships, comfort (for a time) and autonomy. The Lord knows what we need to set to aside to become more like Him. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean fasting or junk food in general?
I have elevated blood pressure. I am trying a low fat vegan diet recommended by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish. I used to have lower blood pressure, but strayed from this diet and stopped checking my blood pressure. I went for an annual checkup and found my blood pressure is now higher than when I was strict. My total cholesterol is higher than previous measurements.

Upvote 0

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I
I have elevated blood pressure. I am trying a low fat vegan diet recommended by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish. I used to have lower blood pressure, but strayed from this diet and stopped checking my blood pressure. I went for an annual checkup and found my blood pressure is now higher than when I was strict. My total cholesterol is higher than previous measurements.
I'm in the same boat. My blood pressure is not bad..but its not where I want it. I am trying to eat healthier. I quit sodas about 2 months ago. It is a tough battle when sugar is so good. My husband and I try to walk as much as we can.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i've been through diet change; although the side effect of my bad diet was symptoms of severe arthritis instead of high blood pressure. words can steer the paths of thoughts, and speaking God's promise of good will reduce desire for what's not good - what helped me was to confess what i wanted as i ate the healthy stuff i didn't crave; such as 'i really like fruits and veggies, and my joints are healed and whole by the stripes of Jesus' - when what i wanted was a double hamburger with cheese, large fries, x-large sugary drink - supersized; even though it was painful to hold a cup that big :)

we received eternal salvation by believing and therefore confessing, even though we didn't yet feel saved - i found that i could receive healthy eating habits much faster by believing that diet could change my bad symptoms (and you both do believe that already), and confessing i was healed of <insert adverse condition here> by the stripes of Jesus

please forgive the distraction from your question Littlek :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I

I'm in the same boat. My blood pressure is not bad..but its not where I want it. I am trying to eat healthier. I quit sodas about 2 months ago. It is a tough battle when sugar is so good. My husband and I try to walk as much as we can.
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn wrote a book, “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. When I followed the instructions, my blood pressure dropped.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟224,107.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back to the original topic...

It is human nature to want to create a set of rules to follow in order to obey God. After Moses came down from the mountain with the 10 Commandments, everyone wanted to know exactly what to do to follow those commandments. What followed was more than 600 rules that they created. The reason we want to do that is because we want to have a check off list to make it easier for ourselves. This is not what Jesus wants us to do. He wants our hearts, not our check lists.

Jesus is not giving you a rule. He is giving you a way of life. To deny yourself means that you rely completely on Him, and obey Him as He directs you. The way you do that is to be in daily prayer, starting your day by surrendering your will to Him asking Him what He would have you do and not do. When you are faced with a choice, you ask Him. Denying yourself means that you are no longer in charge of your life and you have surrendered all outcomes to the Lord. He is in control, not you, and when you give Him control you deny yourself. This goes against our flesh, which is why we have to take our cross up daily (going to Him in prayer and surrendering our will to His), and then follow Him by obeying His directives.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Denying yourself means that you are no longer in charge of your life and you have surrendered all outcomes to the Lord.

Well, we still have to make decisions and we are still responsible but, as you say, we surrender the outcomes. And this is where we can practice a little Cristian stoicism, accepting what we cannot change. So often, when a cross comes our way, don't we pray that it be taken from us?

Upvote 0

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back to the original topic...

It is human nature to want to create a set of rules to follow in order to obey God. After Moses came down from the mountain with the 10 Commandments, everyone wanted to know exactly what to do to follow those commandments. What followed was more than 600 rules that they created. The reason we want to do that is because we want to have a check off list to make it easier for ourselves. This is not what Jesus wants us to do. He wants our hearts, not our check lists.

Jesus is not giving you a rule. He is giving you a way of life. To deny yourself means that you rely completely on Him, and obey Him as He directs you. The way you do that is to be in daily prayer, starting your day by surrendering your will to Him asking Him what He would have you do and not do. When you are faced with a choice, you ask Him. Denying yourself means that you are no longer in charge of your life and you have surrendered all outcomes to the Lord. He is in control, not you, and when you give Him control you deny yourself. This goes against our flesh, which is why we have to take our cross up daily (going to Him in prayer and surrendering our will to His), and then follow Him by obeying His directives.

You know mentioning the "in control" feeling...I remember when I went through nursing school in the early 2000s..finished and started feeling like I accomplished something. I felt like I was in control..I had a good job, good benefits, stable income, was able to help my husband support our family...and then one day..bam. fibromyalgia hit me like a freight train. I lost my job..10 years gone..2 years of nursing school gone. That was one of the most hardest pills to swallow..was having your job taken out from under your feet and disabled..depending on someone else. It took quite a few years to accept that...Im no longer in control. I have had fibro for almost 11 years. I was baptized two years after I had to quit work. (Although I have always believed in God since childhood)
Sometimes I wonder if this was a tough lesson i had to learn from. From being in control..to no control and depending on others.
Thank you for your help.

• Useful
Reactions: Aaron_Bethlhm
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry so long...

There is a balance in all things. The bible tells us:

Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Mal 3:12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

God wants us to "feel" blessed, he is not into robbing enjoyment from our lives. These too are God's promises. There will be times in our life where things are uncomfortable, I believe this is what he talks about when saying "deny yourselves". There are times where we have to stand with Christ, when our workmates, and the world go against God. There are sinful desires that we need to purge "daily". We need to align ourselves with God's word, and stay on that path no matter the cost. Although, God wants peaceful societies:

1Ti 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

There are some that persecute Christians, for these Christians, they are daily in a situation where they must deny their desires, to follow Christ. The bible is a broard book encompassing all peoples and walks of life, to us it may mean one thing, to a Christain in Nigeria, deny yourself may mean something entirely different.

But know God is not heavy on us.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If any man will deny himself... And this is accomplished as you "take up your cross" which is a tool of death, specifically of crucifixion. Can a person self-crucify? No. Not physically, nor spiritually. Read Romans 6. Or Galatians 2:20. Or Colossians 3:3. Every born-again believer has already been crucified by and with Christ. It remains only to live by faith in this truth and in full surrender to God.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God...
For me to live is Christ...

Maybe looking for the line is part of the problem. The Bible urges you to fix your focus upon Christ (Heb. 12:2; 2 Cor. 3:18) not where the "lines" are that you might cross.

This to me, is one of the hardest things to do..self denial.

It is, in fact, impossible, in and of ourselves. No one can self-crucify, which is why God has already crucified the born-again believer with Christ, that henceforth s/he should not serve sin. (See Romans 6)

This self-denial, living the crucified life, is not, though, an end in itself but is just the means whereby we come to fully enjoy God. The motivation for dying to ourselves is the joy of deep fellowship with God. You can't have the latter without the former. Your life can only be about God or you, not both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry so long...

Are you trying to learn what the Lord Jesus Christ have taught about denying yourself in Luke 9:23 ?

Apostle Paul have told us the way we learned Christ — assuming that we have heard about Christ and taught in union with Christ, as the truth is in Christ Jesus, spoken in Ephesians 4:20-24

Apostle Paul have explained that denying yourself is to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires.

How we are going to put off our old strength?
As we have heard, we are taught to be in union with Christ — meaning — we cannot rely on our strength but on God’s strength to keep His commandments.

For this is what we have heard:
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. -Galatians 2:20

How are we going to live by the faith in the Son of God ?

we are told to put trust in the steadfast love of God, that is in Christ who have given His life as a sacrifice to God — meaning —- that is how we prepare our hearts before God by trusting His steadfast love, that is in Christ Jesus.

As we have heard:
Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD. -Psalms 32:10

This promise is fulfilled only when we put our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is called Love Eternal.

Why concern with this love ? It is because this is the eternal love that cover our sins !
For we have heard by grace or Christ’s steadfast love, we are saved !

When we have prepared our hearts by trusting in His steadfast love and His compassion or mercy that are new every morning, we are delighted that we are surrounded by His faithfulness.

Then come humbly to the cross where His love is poured forth — confesses your sins daily in true contrition and seek the wholeheartedly so that you will not stray from His commandments.

When you confessed your sins, believe that He has forgiven you ! Release forgiveness to those who offend and wrong you.

That is not all how you put off your old nature!

Remember what apostle Paul have spoken after putting off your old nature:

and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, -Ephesians 4:23

How to do that ? Apostle Paul have explained:

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5
For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. -Romans 8:6

How to set your mind on the things of the Spirit? This is what our Lord Jesus have said :

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The WORDS that I have spoken to you are SPIRIT and life. -John 6:63

What has been said in the Holy Scripture:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, -2 Timothy 3:16

Therefore, there are many words that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken in the entire Holy Scripture.

Heed to what our Heavenly Father have said:
My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. -Proverbs 4:20
Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:21
For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. -Proverbs 4:22

Therefore, what we need to do is treasure the words that our Heavenly Father and Christ have spoken in our hearts — that is how we renew the spirit of our minds. For all scripture is breathed by God the Holy Spirit. When we treasure His words, we set our mind on the things of the Spirit.

Thereafter, we continue what apostle Paul have taught:
and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. -Ephesians 4:24

When we have renewed the spirit of our minds, that is, to fill the room of our minds with the things of the Spirit — then we need to put on the new self, that is Christ.

For Christ is the likeliness of God, who is the Lamb of God. That is why those who hear the Faithful Shepherd are called His sheep.

This is what we have heard:
and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. -2 Corinthians 5:15

Therefore, we are created in true righteousness and holiness that flows from the truth by following our Shepherd, Christ Jesus as His sheep.

This is what we have heard:
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'" -Revelation 3:22

Upvote 0