Denying oneself

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why should we deny ourselves and follow the will of God?Is it sinfulness that makes us want to follow our own path?I have heard this within the past week so much,and I would like clarification on the subject,and scriptures to back it up.

Denying oneself would be within the confines of the commandments in the New Covenant (New Testament) given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers. There are certain liberties that are allowed in regards to denying oneself in light of these commands; For example: Christians are allowed to marry, eat certain foods, drink water, own a home, have clothes, breathe oxygen, appreciate nature, work at a job (that is not in conflict with God's Word), etc. Denying oneself is in regards to forsaking the things of this world (like forsaking it's secular entertainment, voluntary worldly ways to try and make a difference in the world like voting in political leaders, or trying to stop climate change, or protesting moral things without any mention of Jesus Christ, accepting the world's philosophies or thinking like Macro-Evolution, Big Bang, psychology, hanging out with worldly people, etc.). Basically anything that says you can have your best life now like Prosperity gospel preaching. Denying yourself is denying the old way in how you used to think that sought to justify sin. We have to put away sin out of our lives (Which the world and even the church to some extent says it is okay). Denying yourself is giving up your worldly dreams in being rich and or famous in some way or in having your life and not the life in service to Jesus (Who is GOD).

Basically if we were to follow the commands of Jesus and not seek to follow this world and it's push for you to have your own personal dreams (that are worldly or overly materialistic or it seeks to uplift you and not Christ), then the more we need to run in the other direction towards Jesus and seek to obey His commands.

Whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:33).

He that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:38) (Matthew 16:24 says, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”) (Also see: Mark 8:34, and Luke 9:23) (Luke 14:27 says, “And whosoever does not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.”).

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:26).

Note:

Many Christians will tell you that these verses do not deal with salvation but they won't actually offer an explanation that makes sense when reading these texts normally. They mean what they say plainly; And even the context supports that fact. Most churches today want the wide gate path or easy road. But things do not work like that.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another example of a Christian denying themselves would be during the End Times when the anti-christ seeks to enforce the Mark. Generally speaking: While we are to love and provide for our own biological family (otherwise we are worse than infidel if we don't), if the ant-christ appeared tomorrow and a Christian could not buy or sell without taking the mark of the beast (so as to feed their family), they would be putting a love for their family first above God if they did that and they would be trading in their soul for their own wants and needs.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Denying oneself would be within the confines of the commandments in the New Covenant (New Testament) given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers. There are certain liberties in regards to what denying oneself means like Christians are allowed to marry, eat certain foods, drink water, own a home, having clothes, breathe oxygen, appreciate nature, work at a job (that is not in conflict with God's Word), etc. Denying oneself is in regards to forsaking the things of this world (like forsaking it's secular entertainment, voluntary worldly ways to try and make a difference in the world like voting in political leaders, or trying to stop climate change, or protesting moral things without any mention of Jesus Christ, accepting the world's philosophies or thinking like Macro-Evolution, Big Bang, psychology, hanging out with worldly people, etc.). Basically anything that says you can have your best life now like Prosperity gospel preaching. Denying yourself is denying the old way in how you used to think that sought to justify sin. We have to put away sin out of our lives (Which the world and even the church to some extent says it is okay). Denying yourself is giving up your worldly dreams in being rich and or famous in some way or in having your life and not the life in service to Jesus (Who is GOD).

Basically if we were to follow the commands of Jesus and not seek to follow this world and it's push for you to have your own personal dreams (that are worldly or overly materialistic or it seeks to uplift you and not Christ), then the more we need to run in the other direction towards Jesus and seek to obey His commands.

Whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:33).

He that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:38) (Matthew 16:24 says, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”) (Also see: Mark 8:34, and Luke 9:23) (Luke 14:27 says, “And whosoever does not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.”).

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:26).

Note:

Many Christians will tell you that these verses do not deal with salvation but they won't actually offer an explanation that makes sense when reading these texts normally. They mean what they say plainly; And even the context supports that fact. Most churches today want the wide gate path or easy road. But things do not work like that.
Thanks you for replying,your explanation made the scripture more clear to me.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am glad I was able to help, sister.
May you always be strong in the Lord and the power of His might.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just be careful you are not denying things that ARE allowed to you but forbidden by some well meaning but ill-informed church people. (Unless of course you have a clear unction from God to forgo those things) That is legalism which is the ministry of death.

The Pentecostal Church I attended in high school seemed to have a HUGE issue with alcohol, to even accidently smell the stuff was the sin of drunkenness (or so they taught).

The church I attended in college forbade any social interaction between men and women.

None of those things have any scriptural grounds. Neither does dress length, hair length, and a host of other things.

To deny yourself is to have anything and everything ready to discard IF the Lord so leads you. (But you had better make VERY sure it is HIM)

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a simple understanding of self-denial. What I believe is we're called to Christ as he was to God. Jesus submitted himself accordingly as the Son of God to God the Father. This denial was selfless, merciful, humble, serving etc.; it was the denial of selfishness, judgment (judgmental), arrogance, greed etc. Even Jesus himself said it wasn't about sacrifice but mercy, that he hadn't come for the righteous (self-righteous/hypocrite); his sacrifice on the cross wasn't about the life he loss but the life he gave and it was to save the lost sheep. (John 14:28, Matthew 9:12-13, John 8:6-8)

Upvote 0