Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm not even sure this is the right board to post this under, but here goes- I'm young (21) and trying to figure out what denomination suits me best. I'm a protestant, but I want a very traditional church. I want one that sings hymns and reads from the King James Version, but that will still accept me as I still have many shortcomings. I'm currently attending a PCA church and working to become a member, I love the people there, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what I believe theologically. I've been to a lot of churches growing up and haven't seen the perfect fit, but I have an open mind as long as they truly preach the Bible. I've been in the mainstream contemporary church and it left me very confused about the Faith, and had me thinking it wasn't for me and God didn't love me, so I was sort of Agnostic for several years, but I have had a change of heart. Some beliefs I have is that I'm a Calvinist, I believe in pre-destination, and that the Bible is the ultimate authority. When it comes to Baptism, I was baptized as a baby by the choice of my father, but I don't believe it necessarily has to be that way. Sorry for rambling a bit, but any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm not even sure this is the right board to post this under, but here goes- I'm young (21) and trying to figure out what denomination suits me best. I'm a protestant, but I want a very traditional church. I want one that sings hymns and reads from the King James Version, but that will still accept me as I still have many shortcomings. I'm currently attending a PCA church and working to become a member, I love the people there, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what I believe theologically. I've been to a lot of churches growing up and haven't seen the perfect fit, but I have an open mind as long as they truly preach the Bible. I've been in the mainstream contemporary church and it left me very confused about the Faith, and had me thinking it wasn't for me and God didn't love me, so I was sort of Agnostic for several years, but I have had a change of heart. Some beliefs I have is that I'm a Calvinist, I believe in pre-destination, and that the Bible is the ultimate authority. When it comes to Baptism, I was baptized as a baby by the choice of my father, but I don't believe it necessarily has to be that way. Sorry for rambling a bit, but any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

What's wrong with the PCA? What have you found lacking in it?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks!

Well i agree with many of your beliefs except for calvinism .. But anyway you should not be concerned with joining a denomination.. We are not saved because we are in the right denomination we are saved by believing Jesus and trusting in the atonement He secured for our salvation.. I personally have gone through the finding a denomination phase and i never found a denomination that i could affirm without some doctrine i disagreed with in the denomination..

So i am a Bible believing Christian KJV and part of the spiritual body of Christ...

So my advice to you is read His Word and keep growing in the knowledge of salvation keep believing the LORD and keep trusting in the way He has made for you to be redeemed..

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended a Baptist church after becoming a Christian. Ive always read the KJV and prefer that version altho the church I attend now uses the NIV. I try not to get caught up in the minor issues of the faith. Here's a good article about that..

-Don’t Argue About Scripture!

I now attend an Evangelical Covenant church which is similar to an E Free. I guess what I'm saving is seek a church which lines up with the basic principles of the Bible and watch and see if that church disciples people to live as God would have us live. Its also important to have a small group in which you can share and grow together.

God bless you on your journey.

Reactions: BigRed60
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm not even sure this is the right board to post this under, but here goes- I'm young (21) and trying to figure out what denomination suits me best. ...

I think best choice is to be just directly a disciple of Jesus, without any denomination filters. All though it will bring many difficulties to you, you will be hated and probably without big group support.

Here is something about being disciple of Jesus:
Are you a disciple of Jesus?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi and welcome to Christian Forums. You've received some good suggestions, I think, and I would dare to suggest also one of the Anglican churches. Call up the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion online and take a look, particularly at Art. XVII.

The only way to really, really narrow your choice, though, is to visit a few different denominations after doing a little study of what they believe and how they worship. Being that you say you're a Calvinist, it might be hard to beat the PCA, but there are the Reformed churches (such as the Christian Reformed Church of North America) and perhaps also the Wisconsin Synod Lutherans or Missouri Synod Lutherans which are not technically Calvinist but come close in some ways.

The one additional note that sticks in my mind, however, is that you said something about not being necessarily convinced of your father's decision to have you baptized as a child. I'm not certain what you mean by that, but if you are uneasy about baptizing people before they're old enough to make a profession of faith on their own, be aware that all of the above-mentioned churches do practice infant baptism and you'd basically be left with Regular (i.e. predestinarian) Baptist churches if this were an issue with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You sound like you are an LCMS Lutheran in the making. I sure wish I had discovered Confessional Lutheranism at your age instead of age 45. So many years wasted in shallow pietism!

Www.lcms.org

Upvote 0

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well i agree with many of your beliefs except for calvinism .. But anyway you should not be concerned with joining a denomination.. We are not saved because we are in the right denomination we are saved by believing Jesus and trusting in the atonement He secured for our salvation.. I personally have gone through the finding a denomination phase and i never found a denomination that i could affirm without some doctrine i disagreed with in the denomination..

So i am a Bible believing Christian KJV and part of the spiritual body of Christ...

So my advice to you is read His Word and keep growing in the knowledge of salvation keep believing the LORD and keep trusting in the way He has made for you to be redeemed..
That's good advice. Thank you

Reactions: Adstar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I attended a Baptist church after becoming a Christian. Ive always read the KJV and prefer that version altho the church I attend now uses the NIV. I try not to get caught up in the minor issues of the faith. Here's a good article about that..

-Don’t Argue About Scripture!

I now attend an Evangelical Covenant church which is similar to an E Free. I guess what I'm saving is seek a church which lines up with the basic principles of the Bible and watch and see if that church disciples people to live as God would have us live. Its also important to have a small group in which you can share and grow together.

God bless you on your journey.
The KJV thing isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it's what I prefer. It's what I read when I read the Bible on my own. I should get involved in a small group or Bible study, but I have a group of Christian friends that I try to spend as much time as I can with. Thank you for your wisdom!

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm not even sure this is the right board to post this under, but here goes- I'm young (21) and trying to figure out what denomination suits me best. I'm a protestant, but I want a very traditional church.
Confessional Lutheran churches hold vigorously to the Reformation Solas, yet are very traditional when it comes to the historic liturgy, ministry in word and sacrament, and historical piety and practice extending back to the ancient Church.

I want one that sings hymns and reads from the King James Version, but that will still accept me as I still have many shortcomings.
Lutheran hymnody is among the best in Christendom. KJV is not commonly used in the liturgy or for lectionary readings, though not unheard of, depending on the congregation. Most will use the ESV, although the WELS church is currently developing a new translation for use in their congregations. NIV97 is also used.

As a side note, there is a pan-Lutheran organization called the Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood (LLPB) that produces worship resources, most notably a breviary, which exclusively uses the KJV for all scripture readings and chant texts.

I'm currently attending a PCA church and working to become a member, I love the people there, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what I believe theologically. I've been to a lot of churches growing up and haven't seen the perfect fit, but I have an open mind as long as they truly preach the Bible.
Confessional Reformed churches are similar to Confessional Lutheran churches in conservative views of culture and scriptural interpretation. Except for their views on the Sacraments, they are pretty closely related theologically.

I've been in the mainstream contemporary church and it left me very confused about the Faith, and had me thinking it wasn't for me and God didn't love me, so I was sort of Agnostic for several years, but I have had a change of heart. Some beliefs I have is that I'm a Calvinist, I believe in pre-destination, and that the Bible is the ultimate authority.
I'm also a refugee from American Evangelicalism, and I can identify with your confusion and feelings of condemnation. I was a Baptist for 40 years and tended towards a shallow yet ironically judgmental pietism. Honestly, I hardly ever read the scriptures as an Evangelical because I always felt condemned and unworthy from a lack of the understanding of properly distinguishing between Law and Gospel.

Confessional Lutheran churches are monergistic, but in a way that is different from Calvinistic monergism. Lutherans are neither Arminian nor Calvinistic, but have a distinctive scriptural theology of soteriology, justification and sanctification.

Confessional Lutherans were the first to confess Sola Scriptura and continue to observe strict principles of scriptural interpretation employing the historical-grammatical hermeneutic.

When it comes to Baptism, I was baptized as a baby by the choice of my father, but I don't believe it necessarily has to be that way.
Yes, not necessarily, but certainly preferably. Thank God that your father was faithful enough to bring you into God's family at an early age. Hopefully, he also insured that you continued to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ through age appropriate Christian education as your mind grew and developed.

Upvote 0

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Confessional Lutheran churches hold vigorously to the Reformation Solas, yet are very traditional when it comes to the historic liturgy, ministry in word and sacrament, and historical piety and practice extending back to the ancient Church.

Lutheran hymnody is among the best in Christendom. KJV is not commonly used in the liturgy or for lectionary readings, though not unheard of, depending on the congregation. Most will use the ESV, although the WELS church is currently developing a new translation for use in their congregations. NIV97 is also used.

As a side note, there is a pan-Lutheran organization called the Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood (LLPB) that produces worship resources, most notably a breviary, which exclusively uses the KJV for all scripture readings and chant texts.

Confessional Reformed churches are similar to Confessional Lutheran churches in conservative views of culture and scriptural interpretation. Except for their views on the Sacraments, they are pretty closely related theologically.

I'm also a refugee from American Evangelicalism, and I can identify with your confusion and feelings of condemnation. I was a Baptist for 40 years and tended towards a shallow yet ironically judgmental pietism. Honestly, I hardly ever read the scriptures as an Evangelical because I always felt condemned and unworthy from a lack of the understanding of properly distinguishing between Law and Gospel.

Confessional Lutheran churches are monergistic, but in a way that is different from Calvinistic monergism. Lutherans are neither Arminian nor Calvinistic, but have a distinctive scriptural theology of soteriology, justification and sanctification.

Confessional Lutherans were the first to confess Sola Scriptura and continue to observe strict principles of scriptural interpretation employing the historical-grammatical hermeneutic.

Yes, not necessarily, but certainly preferably. Thank God that your father was faithful enough to bring you into God's family at an early age. Hopefully, he also insured that you continued to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ through age appropriate Christian education as your mind grew and developed.
Lutheranism is one denomination I'd say I'm definitely interested in learning more about. What do you mean when you say "Lutherans are neither Arminian nor Calvinistic, but have a distinctive scriptural theology of soteriology, justification, and sanctification"? And is there a good source you would recommend for more reading on Lutheranism?

Upvote 0

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi and welcome to Christian Forums. You've received some good suggestions, I think, and I would dare to suggest also one of the Anglican churches. Call up the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion online and take a look, particularly at Art. XVII.

The only way to really, really narrow your choice, though, is to visit a few different denominations after doing a little study of what they believe and how they worship. Being that you say you're a Calvinist, it might be hard to beat the PCA, but there are the Reformed churches (such as the Christian Reformed Church of North America) and perhaps also the Wisconsin Synod Lutherans or Missouri Synod Lutherans which are not technically Calvinist but come close in some ways.

The one additional note that sticks in my mind, however, is that you said something about not being necessarily convinced of your father's decision to have you baptized as a child. I'm not certain what you mean by that, but if you are uneasy about baptizing people before they're old enough to make a profession of faith on their own, be aware that all of the above-mentioned churches do practice infant baptism and you'd basically be left with Regular (i.e. predestinarian) Baptist churches if this were an issue with you.
I took a look at the Articles of Religion, I haven't read all of it yet, but I plan to. What I was trying to say in my original post, is that I'm thankful that I was baptized as a baby, but I can understand why adult baptism is done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I thought we needed to be sure we're all on the same page before naming a bunch of churches that are OK in most respects but don't agree with you on the matter of baptism--if you hold strong views on that particular issue.

When you say that you are thankful that you were baptized as a baby but can understand (appreciate?) the idea of restricting it to older persons, I'm still not certain which side of that thorny issue you're on. However, I don't want to belabor the issue. All these churches believe and teach that baptizing infants is scriptural and spiritually beneficial to them...and I'll let it go at that.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lutheranism is one denomination I'd say I'm definitely interested in learning more about. What do you mean when you say "Lutherans are neither Arminian nor Calvinistic, but have a distinctive scriptural theology of soteriology, justification, and sanctification"? And is there a good source you would recommend for more reading on Lutheranism?
Sure! Probably the most basic info would be found in Luther's Small Catechism, the summary of Christian doctrine that Lutherans have used for almost 500 years in the formation of our children and youth in the faith.

Luther’s Small Catechism by Dr. Martin Luther

Next I highly recommend Dr Gene Veith's book, The Spirituality of the Cross. If you order the first edition you can obtain it very inexpensively from Amazon. The second edition is more complete, and still inexpensive, but not practically free like the first.

To read a comparison specifically between Lutheranism vs. Arminianism vs. Calvinism here are some pretty good links using the classical TULIP formula:

Just and Sinner: A Lutheran evaluation of the five points of Calvinism
Three Hierarchies: Lutheranism Between Calvinism and Arminianism

Another way of comparing the three theological systems is to examine the way they would consistently answer (spoiler: or not answer) the ultimate soteriological question: Why are some saved and not others? Lutherans refer to this question as the crux theologorum (the theologian's cross) because Lutherans are all about bearing our crosses and also because we still think Latin is cool.

http://www.stpaulslutheranchurch.net/cruxtheologorum.html

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks!

BigRed, Here is your Big Red mistake, you stated: "trying to figure out what denomination suits me best".

Red, one should not try to find a church that SUITS Them BEST! One should find the Church that Jesus Christ SUITED all Christians with, over 2000 years ago, founded on Rock. You and many others, immediately know the name of that Church that I speak of, need not mention here One word of its name and by the Holy Spirit you do know, because it is the Holy Spirit that is tugging at your heart, to be apart of.

Red, you mentioned that you are a Protestant, Hmmm what Church are you protesting against? Do you even know why you are Protesting against it?

Jesus Christ knew there will be a lot of protesting by satan against His Church founded on Rock, therefore he gave a promise:
Matthew 16: 18And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Red, you stated: "but I want a very traditional church". There is no other Church that is more traditional, than that of the Church founded on Rock 2000 years ago and counting. Teaching the same teaching of the Apostles and the Early Church Fathers who Compiled the Christian Bible with it intact 73 books, by the guidance of the Holy Spirit!

Red, you stated:
I want one that sings hymns and reads from the King James Version, but that will still accept me as I still have many shortcomings.
A) This Church has the oldest hymns that one can Sing.
B) This Church does not have the King James Version of 66 books, This Church Has the Bible of the Early Church Father, who again, compiled the Bible with 77 Books, guided by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, never to be added or subtracted. Unless one thinks the Holy Ghost made a mistake and the correct bible is one that has 66 books. Red, do you believe the Holy Ghost can ever make a mistake? No! I believe this should tell you something.
C) This Church has Sinners from Highest Top to the Lowest Bottom, perhaps, even worse sinners than protesting churches, This Church knows Shortcomings for over 2000 years and counting. Thus the reason why Jesus Christ breathed on them the Holy Ghost:
John 20:22When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained. BigRed, many protestors believe only Jesus Christ can Forgive or Retain sins. Not so!!! Jesus Christ by breathing on them the Holy Ghost GAVE POWER TO HIS CHURCH FOUNDED ON ROCK, to FORGIVE or RETAIN SINS/OUR SHORTCOMINGS. FYI, Find the church that has the Sacrament of Penance, and there you will have the Church of the 12 Apostles, of the Early Church Fathers, ABOVE ALL a Church that Jesus Christ, has SUITED FOR YOU AND ALL CHRISTIANS! Amen Amen

Red, another BIG RED MISTAKE you stated: "but I'm trying to figure out exactly what I believe theologically". When ONE puts "WHAT I. I. I. BELIEVE" You are not looking for a Church founded on ROCK, You are looking for a man made Church that fits you. Many Left Jesus Christ because of their Beliefs.

Red, you stated: I've been to a lot of churches growing up and haven't seen the perfect fit, but I have an open mind as long as they truly preach the Bible.
A) To find a Church that truly preaches the Bible, is to part take of His Body and Blood Soul and Divinity, believing that the Eucharist is 100% Jesus Christ, present before you and IN YOU/APART OF YOU. Now, this is Preaching the Bible: John 6:53Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 54He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 55For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him.

Red, you stated: "
and that the Bible is the ultimate authority".
A) Red, where dose it state that the Bible is the Ultimate Authority??? The Answer is NO WHERE! Rather, the Bible states differently: 1Timothy 3:15But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the HOUSE of God, which is the CHURCH of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
B) Red, Jesus Christ did not say: On this Rock I will build My Bible and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail over it. RATHER: ON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL OVER IT. Amen

C) Mathew 18:17And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican. Red, Jesus Christ DID NOT SAY TAKE IT TO THE BIBLE, BECAUSE IT IS THE CHURCH THAT HAS THE AUTHORITY NOT THE BIBLE. AMEN AMEN

This Church that came first over 2000 years ago and the Bible that was compiled by the Holy Ghost came came 3 centuries later, Both Go hand in hand with each other. But the greater is the Church founded on Rock. Amen. Because this Church makes the Bible Come Alive such as, The Most Holy Eucharist / Sacrament of Penance /
Baptism / ETC...

Red, you stated: When it comes to Baptism, I was baptized as a baby by the choice of my father, but I don't believe it necessarily has to be that way. Sorry for rambling a bit, but any help would be appreciated!
A) Red, It was necessary for the Parents to take their infant Son on the eighth Day without his Acknowledgment to be circumcised, Baptism of a Baby is no different and can be done the same.

Red, I see that you are truly HUNGARY for the Word Made Flesh/Eucharist! And to have your shortcomings forgiven or retained. AMEN

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. I thought we needed to be sure we're all on the same page before naming a bunch of churches that are OK in most respects but don't agree with you on the matter of baptism--if you hold strong views on that particular issue.

When you say that you are thankful that you were baptized as a baby but can understand (appreciate?) the idea of restricting it to older persons, I'm still not certain which side of that thorny issue you're on. However, I don't want to belabor the issue. All these churches believe and teach that baptizing infants is scriptural and spiritually beneficial to them...and I'll let it go at that.
First of all, sorry for the late response. Finals have been my main concern the last couple weeks. To answer your question, I think baptizing infants is the right thing to do and is Biblical, but I don't condemn people who feel differently. So yes, I am on the side of infant baptism, but I'm not militant about it.

Upvote 0

BigRed60

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sure! Probably the most basic info would be found in Luther's Small Catechism, the summary of Christian doctrine that Lutherans have used for almost 500 years in the formation of our children and youth in the faith.

Luther’s Small Catechism by Dr. Martin Luther

Next I highly recommend Dr Gene Veith's book, The Spirituality of the Cross. If you order the first edition you can obtain it very inexpensively from Amazon. The second edition is more complete, and still inexpensive, but not practically free like the first.

To read a comparison specifically between Lutheranism vs. Arminianism vs. Calvinism here are some pretty good links using the classical TULIP formula:

Just and Sinner: A Lutheran evaluation of the five points of Calvinism
Three Hierarchies: Lutheranism Between Calvinism and Arminianism

Another way of comparing the three theological systems is to examine the way they would consistently answer (spoiler: or not answer) the ultimate soteriological question: Why are some saved and not others? Lutherans refer to this question as the crux theologorum (the theologian's cross) because Lutherans are all about bearing our crosses and also because we still think Latin is cool.

http://www.stpaulslutheranchurch.net/cruxtheologorum.html
Like I told Albion, it's been a busy few weeks for me, but I haven't forgot about this forum. I'll check all those out. My schedule eases up a bit here for a few weeks so I'll have some time to sit down and read. I'm looking forward to reading about the crux theologurum. I'm with you on that! Latin does sound cool.

Upvote 0