Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's the Methodist denomination you prefer, and why?
United Methodist, mainly because it's the only option with churches close to me. The closest Free Methodist church is half an hour away.

Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
United Methodist. I appreciate the United Methodist Church's strong emphasis on God's grace and personal and social holiness.

While the UMC is having some struggles as a denomination, among Methodists, it is the most open minded and diverse Methodist denomination in the US.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
United Methodist, mainly because it's the only option with churches close to me. The closest Free Methodist church is half an hour away.

United Methodist. I appreciate the United Methodist Church's strong emphasis on God's grace and personal and social holiness.

I admire John Wesley's teachings and need to reread his books.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the Methodist denomination you prefer, and why?
In terms of theology I would have to say the United Methodist Church is my favorite because everything that they believe in is centered around grace which is exactly at the heart of what Jesus taught. Something else I like about the United Methodist Church is how they have a strong emphasis on discipleship, missions, and having a personal relationship with God which is not preached about in most mainline churches anymore.

In terms of church government the Church of the Nazarene has the best system in terms of creating an excellent balance between church autonomy and having a connectional system. In many ways I feel that the Church of the Nazarene when they split from the Methodists in the early 1900's kept all of the great parts of the connectional system and eliminated all of the bad such as Itineracy, and the top down authority from Annual Conference instead creating a more member lead church with power shared between the Pastor and the members of the church. Every member of the Nazarene denomination doesn't just have membership in the local district but the entire denomination nationwide and can vote on any issue freely whether it be in a district meeting or a local church. Something I will say though is that the UMC is much more open minded than the Church of the Nazarene on certain issues and in some districts the COTN is very much my way or the highway when it comes to theology.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In terms of theology I would have to say the United Methodist Church is my favorite because everything that they believe in is centered around grace which is exactly at the heart of what Jesus taught. Something else I like about the United Methodist Church is how they have a strong emphasis on discipleship, missions, and having a personal relationship with God
This is a great balance that I haven't experienced in many churches.

Something I will say though is that the UMC is much more open minded than the Church of the Nazarene on certain issues and in some districts the COTN is very much my way or the highway when it comes to theology.
Do you have examples of these theological issues?

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a great balance that I haven't experienced in many churches.

Do you have examples of these theological issues?
Yeah of course. In the past something that COTN has really had to overcome is trying to not be legalistic and have even reversed their decisions on some theological issues. in the 1950's-60's the COTN actually had a ban on dancing but reversed this in the 1990's. They also used to have a complete ban on the belief in praying in tongues even threatening to fire Pastors who believed or taught in this phenomenon but in the 2000's they have lightened up their stance on this issue. The COTN also has reversed its statements on Entire Sanctification and Biblical Inerrancy over the years as well. By denominational standards they are still really young and I think they are just trying to figure out their identity in the overall Body of Christ and the Wesleyan movement.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah of course. In the past something that COTN has really had to overcome is trying to not be legalistic and have even reversed their decisions on some theological issues. in the 1950's-60's the COTN actually had a ban on dancing but reversed this in the 1990's. They also used to have a complete ban on the belief in praying in tongues even threatening to fire Pastors who believed or taught in this phenomenon but in the 2000's they have lightened up their stance on this issue. The COTN also has reversed its statements on Entire Sanctification and Biblical Inerrancy over the years as well. By denominational standards they are still really young and I think they are just trying to figure out their identity in the overall Body of Christ and the Wesleyan movement.
The Assembly of God (another Methodist offshoot) has also reversed its stance on things like movies, playing cards and dancing.

• Agree
Reactions: Rawtheran
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I believe this little anecdote in one of John Wesley's biographies is an example of the spirit of Methodism:

Wesley and one of his preachers were once taking lunch with a gentleman whose daughter had been greatly impressed by Wesley's preaching. The itinerant, a man of very plain manners and little tact, was conversing with the young lady, who was remarkable for her beauty. He noticed that she wore a number of rings, and taking hold of her hand, he raised it, and called Wesley's attention to the sparkling gems. "What do you think of this, sir," said he, "for a Methodist's hand". The girl turned crimson, and the question was awkward for Wesley, whose aversion to all display of jewelry was so well-known. But the aged evangelist showed a tact Chesterfield might have envied. With a quiet, benevolent smile he looked up, and simply said, "The hand is very beautiful." The young lady appeared at evening service without her jewels, and became an earnest Christian.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
in the 1950's-60's the COTN actually had a ban on dancing but reversed this in the 1990's. They also used to have a complete ban on the belief in praying in tongues even threatening to fire Pastors who believed or taught in this phenomenon but in the 2000's they have lightened up their stance on this issue. The COTN also has reversed its statements on Entire Sanctification and Biblical Inerrancy over the years as well.
I assume the UMC didn't struggle much with these issues. How's this theology compared to other methodists e.g. The Wesleyan Church or The Free Methodist Church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Assembly of God (another Methodist offshoot) has also reversed its stance on things like movies, playing cards and dancing.
Theologically, they're Charismatic Dispensational Anabaptists rather than Methodists.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I assume the UMC didn't struggle much with these issues. How's this theology compared to other methodists e.g. The Wesleyan Church or The Free Methodist Church?
The Wesleyan Church I'm not really so sure about but the Free Methodist Church believes in everything the United Methodist Church does on a theological level with the difference mainly being their type of church government. I could be wrong but to my knowledge their pastors do not Itinerate.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Theologically, they're Charismatic Dispensational Anabaptists rather than Methodists.
The Assemblies of God comes from the first wave of Pentecostalism that arose from the Azusa Street Revival in the 1930's. They aren't really charismatic because they believe that the evidence that someone is saved is that they speak in tongues and that anyone and everyone can have this gift. They're very out there theologically in my opinion

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the Free Methodist Church believes in everything the United Methodist Church does on a theological level with the difference mainly being their type of church government. I could be wrong but to my knowledge their pastors do not Itinerate.
I'm not sure what the difference is.

[The Assemblies of God] aren't really charismatic because they believe that the evidence that someone is saved is that they speak in tongues and that anyone and everyone can have this gift.
How does this not make them charismatic / pentecostal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's unfortunate, if you would otherwise have an interest in the Free Methodists. There is a lot to recommend them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what the difference is.

How does this not make them charismatic / pentecostal?
1. Itinerate means that there is a three way system in how Pastors end up at a church where the decision is ultimately up to the Pastor, Bishop, and the church but really the Bishop is the one who makes the ultimate decision in placing a Pastor in a church. Pastors are also expected throughout their career to move to different locations. I believe although I might be wrong the Free Methodists leave it up to the church to hire a Pastor.

2. Both the Charismatics and Pentecostals believe in the Gifts of the Spirit but their theology on them is different. Pentecostals believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a 3rd means of grace and that every Christian has the ability to speak in tongues or to perform miracles. Some of your more extreme denominations believe that if someone doesn't speak in tongues then they are not truly saved. Pentecostals also believe that you can lose the ability to speak in tongues if you are sinning but can also regain it at anytime after you repent. Charismatics believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit isn't a means of grace but rather the Holy Spirit unlocking the spiritual gifts inside of you when someone with the anointing lays hands on you or prays for you. To them the Holy Spirit only indwells the believer once which is at the time of salvation. Next, Charismatics believe that while tongues is a gift of the spirit it is not necessary for salvation and not everyone will have the gifts of tongues just like not everyone will have the gift of prophecy, healing, exhortation, etc. They also believe that when someone is given a spiritual gift they cannot lose them based on a scripture verse which says the gifts of God are without repentance. Pentecostals also tends to strive more towards individual experiences with the gifts of the spirit whereas a Charismatic would adopt a stance that the gifts of the Spirit should be used more for the renewing and building up of the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Itinerate means that there is a three way system in how Pastors end up at a church where the decision is ultimately up to the Pastor, Bishop, and the church but really the Bishop is the one who makes the ultimate decision in placing a Pastor in a church. Pastors are also expected throughout their career to move to different locations.
Another UM poster wrote, "We also have Elders who may or may not be in a position of senior pastor, and we also have non-ordained lay ministers as senior pastors." Not sure how all this works.

I believe although I might be wrong the Free Methodists leave it up to the church to hire a Pastor.
They make more sense :)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Charismatics believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit isn't a means of grace but rather the Holy Spirit unlocking the spiritual gifts inside of you when someone with the anointing lays hands on you or prays for you. To them the Holy Spirit only indwells the believer once which is at the time of salvation. Next, Charismatics believe that while tongues is a gift of the spirit it is not necessary for salvation and not everyone will have the gifts of tongues just like not everyone will have the gift of prophecy, healing, exhortation, etc. They also believe that when someone is given a spiritual gift they cannot lose them based on a scripture verse which says the gifts of God are without repentance. Pentecostals also tends to strive more towards individual experiences with the gifts of the spirit whereas a Charismatic would adopt a stance that the gifts of the Spirit should be used more for the renewing and building up of the church.
This is a great explanation. I attended AoG for years, and always upheld Charismatic rather than Pentecostal beliefs. A long time ago, someone told me that AoG is not truly Pentecostal. I appreciated his comment after reading your message. I do not attend AoG any longer. Do you know which denominations are Charismatic?

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a great explanation. I attended AoG for years, and always upheld Charismatic rather than Pentecostal beliefs. A long time ago, someone told me that AoG is not truly Pentecostal. I appreciated his comment after reading your message. I do not attend AoG any longer. Do you know which denominations are Charismatic?
The United Methodist Church while liturgical in its church services is very charismatic in its small group sessions like Sunday School and Wednesday Night Prayer services. In fact at the last UMC church I attended one of the women in our small group operated in the prophetic and the Holy Spirit would give her dreams and visions about people and she was so accurate it was scary. The Church of the Nazarene, Wesleyan Church, Free Methodist Church, and Missionary Church USA are very open to the Charismatic gifts. I know that the Episcopalian, Anglican, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, North American Lutheran Church, and Presbyterian Church denominations are open to it as well. In terms of denominations that are purely Charismatic though the only ones I can think of would be Calvary Chapel and Vineyard but they are facing a lot of criticism right now for false teachings and sexual abuse scandals that actually resulted in a split in Calvary Chapel. Outside of the mainline and evangelical denominations if you are looking for a purely charismatic church your best bet would be a Non denominational church that is apart of a fellowship or network of churches. Unless of course you want to join an independent church but I generally stay away from them since they kinda operate like a fiefdom where the Pastor or team of Pastors run everything without any type of accountability system or say so from church members.

What kind of church are you looking for?

Edit: I forgot to add that the Foursquare Gospel Church is a great denomination that embraces the gifts of the Spirit. While technically they would be considered a Pentecostal denomination their statement of beliefs would align more with Charismatic Christianity as they do not believe that tongues is required to receive salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The United Methodist Church while liturgical in its church services is very charismatic in its small group sessions like Sunday School and Wednesday Night Prayer services.
Unfortunately, the UMC affiliate in Canada is "The United Church of Canada," which is more Unitarian than Methodist.

In fact at the last UMC church I attended one of the women in our small group operated in the prophetic and the Holy Spirit would give her dreams and visions about people and she was so accurate it was scary.
Praise God.

The Church of the Nazarene, Wesleyan Church, Free Methodist Church,
I'm looking into these at the moment and am glad to hear they're open to Charismatic expression.

and Missionary Church USA are very open to the Charismatic gifts.
Currently, I attend their affiliate "The Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada." I haven't noticed any Charismatic leanings. Also, I prefer a sacramental church.

I know that the Episcopalian, Anglican, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, North American Lutheran Church, and Presbyterian Church denominations are open to it as well.
Years ago, I used to attend a Charismatic Anglican church, which was a great combination. Things changed after the pastor quit. One can't tell which congregation is charismatic and which isn't.

In terms of denominations that are purely Charismatic though the only ones I can think of would be Calvary Chapel and Vineyard but they are facing a lot of criticism right now for false teachings and sexual abuse scandals
I'm not familiar with these denominations.

I forgot to add that the Foursquare Gospel Church is a great denomination that embraces the gifts of the Spirit.
I'm not familiar with this, either. Would you give me more info.

Outside of the mainline and evangelical denominations if you are looking for a purely charismatic church your best bet would be a Non denominational church that is apart of a fellowship or network of churches. Unless of course you want to join an independent church but I generally stay away from them since they kinda operate like a fiefdom
I don't like the idea of attending a non-denominational or an independent church.

What kind of church are you looking for?
Sacramental, charismatic, conservative, Arminianist, non-dispensational.

Last edited:
Upvote 0