Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is an article of what my Democratic friends cite as the best Democratic POTUS, JFK.

It highlights his belief in religious freedom, anti-communism, and supply-side economics. Not unlike another Democrat of the early 1960s, Ronald Reagan.

Modern Democrats Would View John F. Kennedy As A Reaganite Extremist

In the midst of so much division, let's take a stroll along memory lane and recall when Republicans and Democrats had much in common.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is an article of what my Democratic friends cite as the best Democratic POTUS, JFK.

It highlights his belief in religious freedom, anti-communism, and supply-side economics. Not unlike another Democrat of the early 1960s, Ronald Reagan.

In the midst of so much division, let's take a stroll along memory lane and recall when Republicans and Democrats had much in common.

I can't tell if I'm a John Kennedy Democrat or a Dwight Eisenhower Republican.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Kennedy and his VP Johnson were in favor of busing, integration and civil rights. This is something the Alt-Right as opposed to at the time.
Civil Rights Movement | JFK Library

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Kennedy and his VP Johnson were in favor of busing, integration and civil rights. This is something the Alt-Right as opposed to at the time.
Civil Rights Movement | JFK Library
The alt-right then and now were a fraction of 1% of the population. Are nothing but a strawman.
JFK was completely different on civil rights than Johnson. Johnson led the Southern Democrats' fight against civil rights his entire career. When he went to Dallas (I recall) to sign the CR legislation (64) he supposedly told his stunned Southern Democratic Senators on the flight that the reason was he wanted to "Lock up the black (he used a rather distasteful term here) vote for the next 100 years."

Johnson was the first president I ever wrote to. Wish I could get my 5-year old crayon drawing and praise of his administration back, I'd burn it. But JFK and later his brother, were genuine in their care for the poor and disenfranchised. And history lays the quilt squarely on the shoulders of Southern Democrats. KKK, 3/5ths compromise as well.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, those were the good ol' days. Nothing to worry about or be concerned about but getting caught peeing in the bushes by the front door or if I was going to be able to see the whole Roy Rogers or Sky King or Sea Hunt show uninterrupted on our rabbit-ears topped, green screened, huge 15" B&W TV set. Oh yeah, whether or not the milk man would be giving us ice from his truck to chew on. Yep, those were the good ol' days.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it a peaceful religion if its Leader/god/prophet tells them that is OK to deceive the unbelieving infidel: to lie and feign allegiance to and betray another country, if it is done to proselytize Islam. They learned from the Crusades. Their strategy is attack from within just as they are successfully doing in N. Africa and Europe. Migrate, feign allegiance and peace and have the largest families in the countries who don't even have enough babies being born to maintain. Eventually, they vote them into insignificance and put Allah where they intend to put him.

Behind the Lines: Conquest through proselytizing: A new documentary says Muslim Brotherhood networks wish to turn the US into an Islamic state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
With the exception of civil rights I oppose those too. Especially forced busing.
Whites didn’t seem to mind forced busing for the purpose of segregation. It was only when their children were bused to far away schools that they got upset.

There was always forced busing.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whites didn’t seem to mind forced busing for the purpose of segregation. It was only when their children were bused to far away schools that they got upset.

I don't see how the Federal government has the authority to dictate where my children go to school.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom

And this was back in the day when liberals would say like a mantra...."I may not agree with what you say but I'd die for your right to say it!" That was the standard line heard in academia. Now there's almost riots if one comes to a University to give a Basic 101 Conservative speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

There was always forced busing.
I grew up in the North. I lived with black neighbors down the street in the 1960s, had black friends my entire life and disn't really run into racism until investigating fraternity life at Ohio State University in 1979. Greek life was infected with racism. However, outside of it, it was rare. I don't remember a single person being bused to my schools from k-12

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

When it came to civil rights, and racial equality, JFK may have talked the talk but he was wary, if not fearful about doing anything substantive. He was afraid of losing Democratic votes in Congress, back when the southern states were solidly Democratic. It was LBJ who really did the dirty work. Yes, he could be crude and boorish, was a bully, and an arm-twister. But he's the one who got the Civil Rights and Voting Rights bills passed, and got Medicare off the ground in 1965. His big mistake was getting involved in Vietnam. And some aspects of his War on Poverty have been less than total successes. But it can be argued that in terms of transformative legislation, Lyndon Johnson was the most accomplished President of the last 60 years.

And getting back to the 60s, this was when many Republicans were progressives. The Civil and Voting Rights Acts, and Medicare could not have enacted without Republican votes. And if JFK would be seen by Democrats today as conservative, Richard Nixon would be seen by today's Republicans as a liberal progressive. Some of what he accomplished:

Establishment of the EPA.

Passage and signing of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act. Also the Noise Control Act and Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Extended Medicare benefits to people under 65 who were disabled, or had kidney failure. He also signed the amendment to Social Security which established SSI. Spending for these programs doubled while he was President.

He signed the National Cancer Act, providing well over $1 billion in federal money for cancer research.

He signed the Consumer Product Safety Act and the law establishing OSHA. Which greatly expanded the federal government's oversight power in industry.

He supported expanding the U.S. Civil Rights Code to prohibit sex discrimination. This led to Title IX, which bans sex discrimination in education and requires equitable spending on women's sports.

He began the process to normalize relations with China.

He ended combat missions by US troops in Vietnam. And also ended the draft.

He supported and signed Title X into law. Which provides federal money for family planning services, including contraceptives. This is where Planned Parenthood gets funding. Pres. Nixon said this in 1969:

"It is my view that no American woman should be denied access to family planning assistance because of her economic condition. I believe, therefore, that we should establish as a national goal the provision of adequate family planning services within the next five years to all those who want them but cannot afford them. This we have the capacity to do.”

Can you imagine a Republican saying this today? Not to mention that all 3 of his Nixon's SCOTUS appointees--Chief Justice Warren Burger, Justice Harry Blackmun, and Justice Lewis Powell--voted in Roe v. Wade to decriminalize abortion. And Justice Blackmun wrote the majority opinion.

Nixon the Progressive

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here is an article of what my Democratic friends cite as the best Democratic POTUS, JFK. It highlights his belief in religious freedom, anti-communism, and supply-side economics.

Now you've got the Republicans embracing Communism. Trump admires Putin and Kim Jung-un openly, and praises the Nazis Kennedy fought against.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Coincidentally, I just finished reading a book on JFK, Profile in Power by Richard Reeves. He seemed to be focused on fighting Communism as was everyone in the era, and was hammered by the Republicans for not fighting hard enough. He had to be dragged reluctantly into what civil rights measures he took, considering it a nuisance and was overly cautious about the political ramifications even though he knew it was the right thing to do. By the time I finished the book, I gave him a C-minus.

I've been to the LBJ library and was aware of Johnson's legislative accomplishments, but Vietnam overshadows a lot of that, unfortunately.

Upvote 0