Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Threaten me and Big Brother will give you a Beat down", files: Democrats Want to Make It a Federal Crime to Threaten Journalists: Sen. Richard Blumenthal would give journalists special federal protections that they don't need.

The House version of the bill doesn't actually attempt to criminalize mere threats. Instead, it establishes "journalist" as a protected class ...

At best, creating an additional law at the federal level is pointless. In reality, such a law could have the effect of infringing upon the civil liberties of people accused of violence. When something is criminalized at both the state and federal level, or criminalized on several different grounds, prosecutors have additional opportunities to bring charges. In practice, additional charges often give defendants little option but to plead guilty in exchange for a deal: The authorities simply have too many chances to convict them.
Keep in mind that the First Amendment, the most important legal protection of the kind of work that journalists do, does not specifically give these rights to a class of people known as journalists: It prevents the government from violating anyone's rights
.​

Maybe "journalists" might stop propagandizing and get back to basics, like investigative journalism?

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,882.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe "journalists" might stop propagandizing and get back to basics, like investigative journalism?
Trouble is, when they do that the President accuses them of touting false news and makes remarks that seem to sanction violence.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From the "Threaten me and Big Brother will give you a Beat down", files: Democrats Want to Make It a Federal Crime to Threaten Journalists: Sen. Richard Blumenthal would give journalists special federal protections that they don't need.

The House version of the bill doesn't actually attempt to criminalize mere threats. Instead, it establishes "journalist" as a protected class ...
It is already a crime in my city to threaten to do bodily harm to another person. The daughter of a friend of mind got charged with making terroristic threats just because she threatened to beat the snot out of another person. She actually got arrested and had to go to court.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is already a crime in my city to threaten to do bodily harm to another person. The daughter of a friend of mind got charged with making terroristic threats just because she threatened to beat the snot out of another person. She actually got arrested and had to go to court.
Good. One does not get a free pass to bully.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,882.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No one should be able to infer that violence should be used against journalists, whether it is the President, Bernie Sanders, or any of us.
I think you meant "imply", not "infer", otherwise your sentence makes little sense. (Although I did infer that violence was the implication. :))

Anyhow, @NightHawkeye do you favour or oppose the proposal; and why?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think you meant "imply", not "infer", otherwise your sentence makes little sense. (Although I did infer that violence was the implication. :))

Anyhow, @NightHawkeye do you favour or oppose the proposal; and why?

My sentence is clear in meaning, yes.

in·fer reason or determine from suggestion and cognition

But go ahead and imply all you desire :)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,882.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The writer does not get to decide if a sentence is clear. That is the right of the reader. (See my signature for clarification and - based on your response - an implicit insult.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Would that make the Right stop threatening them?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They must be feeling the heat having declared themselves the enemy of the people. Nothing but duplicitous propagandists.
They declared themselves that?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

At best, creating an additional law at the federal level is pointless. In reality, such a law could have the effect of infringing upon the civil liberties of people accused of violence. When something is criminalized at both the state and federal level, or criminalized on several different grounds, prosecutors have additional opportunities to bring charges. In practice, additional charges often give defendants little option but to plead guilty in exchange for a deal: The authorities simply have too many chances to convict them.
Keep in mind that the First Amendment, the most important legal protection of the kind of work that journalists do, does not specifically give these rights to a class of people known as journalists: It prevents the government from violating anyone's rights
.​

I thought threatening people was against the law . Sadly, we have a president trying to encourage violence against any journalists, liberal or conservative, that says something negative about him. So things have to be done to protect these victims, the president or any one does after.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought threatening people was against the law . Sadly, we have a president trying to encourage violence against any journalists, liberal or conservative, that says something negative about him. So things have to be done to protect these victims, the president or any one does after.

Trump has incited violence. He suggested that the "Second Amendment People" could act against Hillary if she got elected. He said, "Knock the crap out of them and I'll pay your legal fees!" and he said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters."

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The writer does not get to decide if a sentence is clear. That is the right of the reader. (See my signature for clarification and - based on your response - an implicit insult.)
You sliced my post, which is repeated below.

in·fer reason or determine from suggestion and cognition

But go ahead and imply all you desire :)

Your last sentence does not make sense. I did not insult you, and I don't think you insulted me.

Upvote 0