Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So that people in states like Wyoming
don’t feel powerless and forgotten.
How would their voice be forgotten if the EC was abolished? Every voters voice would be equal.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Democrats questioned the elections first.

Every time a Republican president is elected,
Democrats go on cable news asking to abolish the electoral college.
That puts doubt in the system and that weakens the system.

The electoral college is good for America.
It gives power to all 50 states.

Well, I don't know that advocating for a different election system counts as "Questioning the elections" in the same way.

For instance, I'd prefer instant runoff voting instead of first past the post. But that's not the same as saying that the outcome is compromised within the current ruleset. There's a difference between saying that you'd prefer a different set of rules vs. accusing someone of cheating under the current rules.

Now, one can make a strong case for saying "Democrats started it" on the basis of the Florida recount mess that was "Bush v. Gore". (Hard to believe the whole "dimpled chads" controversy was over 20 years ago...we're all getting old)

And then Republicans stepped it up a notch during the Obama election by saying that it was "illegals" voting, or that he was ineligible because they were believing birther conspiracies.

And then Democrats fired back by suggesting that a social media campaign by the Russians was what caused Trump to win.

And that brings us to current, where the GOP makes stolen election claims centered around mail-in voting and certain states not having strict voter id laws.

I'm expecting 2024 to have even more ridiculous theories by whichever side loses since it seems to be trending in the direction of "more absurd" and not less...but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The reality is, America is divided pretty close to 50/50 on a lot of things, and there are people on both sides who seem to not be willing to wrap their heads around the notion that their ideas aren't as universally popular as they think they are, so they start looking for a scapegoat "I couldn't possibly be that my guy wasn't as good as the other guy...my guy is the best, and I know everyone else agrees with me, and if someone says otherwise, they're lying or trying to cheat"

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
New York and California would decide most elections.

Making a Republican president nearly impossible.
Obviously the majority of Americans are not real Americans.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The question then is why do Republican candidates not appeal to the majority of voters?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Democrats questioned the elections first.
Does that make it ok for a Republican candidate to flat out lie about election results then and encourage people to overturn the election based on those lies?

Every time a Republican president is elected,
Democrats go on cable news asking to abolish the electoral college.
That puts doubt in the system and that weakens the system.
There are some serious faults with the electoral college system that should be addressed in a non partisan manner. Inherent in it is the fact that it’s simply undemocratic by design. It weighs your vote depending on the population around you so that individual votes in big cities don’t count as much as votes cast in rural areas of the country.

The electoral college is good for America.
It gives power to all 50 states.
Why should elections be decided by states instead of voters?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

No, a majority of voters would decide elections regardless of where they live.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There were riots led by people who intend to overturn the whole of our government and everything about it, including free elections.
That is not true at all. Those were people who wanted cops to stop executing people in the streets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So that people in states like Wyoming
don’t feel powerless and forgotten.
But in reality, they are currently holding an unequal amount of power than voters in other states.

It's a bit of a metaphor for privilege; when people demand equal power, the powerful feel attacked.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
biggest example how it's nonsense, the 15 lowest population states have 1 less electoral college votes then California but have a combined population of 17, 012, 081. that's less then half the population of California but the same voting power.

to give you a further worse example. the bottom 23 states have a population combined of 1.5 million more then California, 41 vs 39.5 but have almost double the electoral votes. 101 vs 55.

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm a Democrat, but I'd still rather keep the Electoral College in place.

"We'd win more often" is not a good enough reason to drop it.
It doesn't make since to keep something in place. Since it goes against the will of the people.

Upvote 0