Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgive Republican candidate Mitt Romney for his alleged failure to adequately explain why he paid "only" 14 percent of his income in taxes. The honest answer — "Well, because my accountants couldn't figure out how to get them any lower" — does not work in this or very many other election years. Romney seemed flat-footed because, like most business people, he seeks to minimize costs and expenses.Read More »

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Republicans have proposed eliminating capital gains taxes altogether....

It's one thing to want to pay the taxes you are legally required to pay...

It's entirely another to propose eliminating taxes on all $41 million of it every year.

There is also the issue of how Romney made his money--eliminating jobs, cutting up companies and repackaging them.

Even the success of Staples (years after he left Bain) probably cost the U.S. more jobs than it created, because Staples is the Wal-Mart of office supply stores. We all know what Wal-Mart has done to jobs.

The idea that capital gains should be taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income (an idea which I have admittedly benefited from over the years) is based on the flawed theory that that money is going to "job creation."

Why should income people earn from sitting on their posteriors be taxed at a lower rate than income earned by the sweat of people's brows?

If that happened, then Warren Buffett would be paying the same tax rates as his secretaries, and Mitt Romney would be paying more than his servants and repair people that he is happy to fire (quoting his own words.)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Democrats love taxes, but just don't want to *pay* them

Yes, I noticed that too. I've also noticed that the wealthiest states are the Democrat controlled states.

Have also noticed that nothing is preventing *anyone* (Dem, Repub, Inde, Conservative, Green, whatever party) from paying more taxes or for *not* taking the legal loopholes and other ways of reducing tax liabilities. Of course, that's not mentioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0