✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
issue hits blogosphere- Democrats asked to leave Baptist church

i don't think i have ever seen the instanteous volume of comments that this has provoked in the last few hours.

Religion and Politics Clash
Religion and politics clash over a local church's declaration that Democrats are not welcome.

East Waynesville Baptist asked nine members to leave. Now 40 more have left the church in protest. Former members say Pastor Chan Chandler gave them the ultimatum, saying if they didn't support George Bush, they should resign or repent. The minister declined an interview with News 13. But he did say "the actions were not politically motivated." There are questions about whether the bi-laws were followed when the members were thrown out.

(posted at 7:30am, 5/6/05)
source: http://www.wlos.com/

i saw it first at:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/ljdemocrats/

followed a link to:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x3604552#3604716
where the comments are being added faster than my software will reload the page.

there are several blog search tools that ought to record this volume.
the response will end up a news story in itself.

akin to the traffic that discussed whether Kerry ought to be allowed communion as he didn't opposed abortion.

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This will be good for the party. No Democrat can cross Planned Parenthood and go anywhere. Clinton, Gore, Gephardt, Lieberman and Jesse Jackson all had to change their positions from pro-life to pro-choice.

Now Democrats have a reason to say no to the pro-choice lobby which has the party in a death grip.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Holly3278 said:
I'm sorry but since when did your political party determine whether you're a Christian or not? :scratch:

The issue is not being a Christian.

The issue is being a member of this one Baptist church.

Many Christians do not have any problem at all in being a member of a political party which supports many social issues which are in direct conflict with church teachings.

This one church does and wishes those who hold those views not attend.

The Catholic church places sanctions on those who actively support laws which violate its teachings.

Personally, I don't get it. If you are pro-life, for instance, why would you join a political party which isn't?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where is the hypocrisy?

He affirms what he preaches by telling members of his church to get out if they vote for politicians who oppose church teachings.

Nothing devious or two-faced about that.

The hypocrites are those who go to his church on Sunday (probably for social reasons), pretend they agree with church teachings and then go support candidates (probably for pocketbook reaons) who are against what, on Sundays, they say they believe in.

That is hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Voegelin said:
Where is the hypocrisy?

He affirms what he preaches by telling members of his church to get out if they vote for politicians who oppose church teachings.

Nothing devious or two-faced about that.

The hypocrites are those who go to his church on Sunday (probably for social reasons), pretend they agree with church teachings and then go support candidates (probably for pocketbook reaons) who are against what, on Sundays, they say they believe in.

That is hypocrisy.

Maybe so but still. I think that allowing people to be members of your church based on their political identity is rather stupid and unChristian.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Holly3278 said:
Maybe so but still. I think that allowing people to be members of your church based on their political identity is rather stupid and unChristian.

The church should welcome everyone. And most do.

The question is where do you draw the line. If a member consistently opposes church doctrine in speech and action, encourages others of a similiar ideology to attend and actively supports political figures who are also opposed to church doctrine a minister who allows that to continue is neglecting his duty.

UnChristian to toss them out? What is Christian about allowing your church to become a social club more concerned with promoting a social agenda which is in direct contradiction to Christian doctrine?

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
. If a member consistently opposes church doctrine in speech and action

Fine. If these people had been unitarians, or hadn't believed in the divinity of Christ. But being pro-abortion is a matter of ethics, not doctrine, and a Christian is not enjoined to agree with their pastor about ethics.

This is nothing short of political demagoguery. The pastor should be hauled before a court and prosecuted for this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

afrancis777

Mar 28, 2005
Russells Point
✟15,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think it is out of line to ask some to leave the chuch if they deliberately contradict Church teachings and encourage others to do the same. I do, however, think it is wrong to ask someone to leave the church because they don't agree with a political leader. As much as I support JWB...I think it's wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.