Democrats’ Proposal to Codify Same-Sex Civil Marriage Poses Religious-Freedom Issues, Critics Say

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The push to solidify support comes in the wake of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health decision.

WASHINGTON — An aggressive push to enshrine same-sex civil marriage into federal law has arisen in response to Justice Clarence Thomas’ remarks to revisit the Obergefell v. Hodges decision in his concurrence in the June 24 decision that overturned Roe v. Wade.

Thomas wrote that the justices should “reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents,” including Obergefell, and “’follow the text of the Constitution, which sets forth certain substantive rights that cannot be taken away, and adds, beyond that, a right to due process when life, liberty, or property is to be taken away.’ Substantive due process conflicts with that textual command and has harmed our country in many ways.”

Continued below.
Democrats’ Proposal to Codify Same-Sex Civil Marriage Poses Religious-Freedom Issues, Critics Say

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Michie . . . hi :)

In your linked article, I understand that Carl Trueman is quoted to say that if society shifts from marriage being a one man, one woman thing . . . this will take people into what is not predictable.

In case I understand this article . . . it seems to be saying the federal United States Supreme Court made a ruling that you can not outlaw gay marriage. But ones are claiming there was no need for this, except to take a pot shot at certain religious people. Ones are saying fewer and fewer Republicans are against gay marriage and are ok with it.

And it seems there is some thing about how if gay marriage becomes fully approved by law, then certain religious folks can be sued and made to pay taxes on their church property if they do not approve and cooperate with gay marriage.

Now, Michie . . . if I may as a guest with your approval . . . I have some thoughts that you are welcome to evaluate.

I personally don't buy gay stuff, never mind marriage, but I would say in the past some number of religious people and others have done some pretty dirty stuff to homosexuals. So, it might be . . . if such religious ones are not going to make sure they treat other people right, then may be they sort of deserve to get some revenge coming their way . . . like by seeing gay marriage become legal . . . and getting it stuffed in their faces.

If they don't like it, then straighten out their abuse and self-righteous stuff . . . first!

And it seems certain religious people are saying gays have no hope of changing from having their same-sex preferences; yet, they are expected to outwardly practice "celibacy". Well, I understand that God is very able to change a person's heart so his or her preferences are Biblical.

So, I understand that outright abuse and hate and quack methods are wrong, plus it is pastoral counseling quackery to claim God does or can not correct it but ones have to act like what they aren't. It is possible with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0