Democratic hopefuls say eating less meat will help the climate.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the liberals actually believe that the collective fart of all living beings is causing global warming. lol.
They believe in silly things like poo-poo contaminating water too! How absurd!

Reactions: miggles
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
they are too uneducated to know that fish eat poo poo. makes for a healthy fish population.
Well, I was being far too optimistic with that bit of snark I see. We have already moved onto fecal contamination being shrugged off as well.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know the plant burgers they have now? Think about how many more resources it takes to process the plants into something resembling meat, and all the artificial junk in them vs just eating a cow raised in a pasture. And it's still not nearly as nutritious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You know the plant burgers they have now? Think about how many more resources it takes to process the plants into something resembling meat, and all the artificial junk in them vs just eating a cow raised in a pasture. And it's still not nearly as nutritious.
I would be interested to see how the impacts stack up against conventional beef. Grass fed pastured raised cows are not the most common source for mass market beef.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you hear about that new meatless Burger King Burger.

A bunch of salt and preservatives and stuff you can’t even pronounce

Go get em’ vegens ^_^ Keep it healthy

Gotta love using poor reading ability to justify a fear of chemistry.

About 2/3 of the calories and 2/3 - 3/4 of the sodium on either the regular Whopper or the impossible Whopper come from the bun, toppings, and condiments.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gotta love using poor reading comprehension to justify a fear of chemistry.

About 2/3 of the calories and 2/3 - 3/4 of the sodium on either the regular Whopper or the impossible Whopper come from the bun, toppings, and condiments.
The post spurred me to look into the ingredients of the burger and the only things that are challenging to say are the vitamins added to the mix, the main ingredients are soy protein and vegetable oils. Hardly exotic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Did you hear about that new meatless Burger King Burger.

A bunch of salt and preservatives and stuff you can’t even pronounce

Go get em’ vegens ^_^ Keep it healthy
i have yet to try one. mcdonald's is considering it too. with gun at head from animal lovers. lol

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The post spurred me to look into the ingredients of the burger and the only things that are challenging to say are the vitamins added to the mix, the main ingredients are soy protein and vegetable oils. Hardly exotic.

yep

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I’m not joking.

'Eat Less Meat': 2020 Democrats Mull Changing Laws on Meat Consumption to Fight Climate Change

Eat Less Meat’: 2020 Democrats Mull Changing Laws on Meat Consumption to Fight Climate Change

Quote one:
During Thursday’s climate change town hall hosted by CNN, 2020 Democratic hopeful Kamala Harris — who consistently polls at the fourth spot among the others — was asked by an audience member if she supports changing “dietary guidelines to reduce the consumption of red meat in light of the impact of climate change.”

After first making it clear that “we have a problem in America,” Harris responded, “The answer is yes.”

“The balance that we have to strike here, frankly, is about what government can and should do around creating incentives and then banning certain behaviors,” she said.

Quote 2.
Asked if the American people should change their eating habits, 2020 Democratic primary contender Andrew Yang pointed to a U.N. study that revealed: “We’re going to be okay if the vast majority of the world goes vegetarian immediately.”

They have a right to their opinions, but making federal law about how much meat you can eat - or forcing vegan diets? That won't happen.

Mrs. Obama tried changing school lunches, and as much as they tried to push that? They couldn't control the amount that landed in the trash.

Changing dietary guidelines is all fine and good, but those are recommendations. It's not law. I don't think they can force that issue to change the guidelines anyway.

I would hope whomever gets the candidacy will concentrate on more important items. As many that are running for the spot right now? They have to keep relevant. I guess to their pollster's, etc this makes them relevant. (shrugs) That will change.

Once they weed some people out? We will hear things that might actually materialize as far as what the President should/would do.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As per usual any discussion of the impacts of animal agriculture degrades into fart jokes.

I can't wait until this tactic wins out on the issue and moves on to poop jokes for those who have the temerity to take issue with waters contaminated by livestock manure lagoons.
There are strict regulations on how those lagoons are built. Do yo really think they would knowingly let it leak into public waters knowing what that kind of lawsuit would cost them? The manure is pumped out and put on the fields. That would be the only way it would get into the water systems. And the water systems are protected (in my area at least) by policies on having trees and shrubs planted along every tiny waterway (a brook or smaller) adjacent to a cultivated field whose roots naturally filter out most pollutants. It seems to be working well, too. There are plenty of articles about rebounding life in the Chesapeake Bay which had been polluted by too much nitrogen.

Life wouldn't be rebounding in the Chesapeake Bay if manure lagoons were leaching into the groundwater. Again, I can't speak for everywhere.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are strict regulations on how those lagoons are built.

Unfortunately not in all states. Anytime there is a storm of any note the NC low country is awash in the effluent from overflowing manure lagoons

Do yo really think they would knowingly let it leak into public waters knowing what that kind of lawsuit would cost them?

In a state whose legislature is under the thumb of their lobby, such as my own, yes I know they will.

However none of this is relevant to the point that I was trying to make. The point I was driving at is that the dismissive fart jokes directed at the concern for the methane emissions that large scale animal agriculture produces are no different then trying to dismiss waterways befouled by overflowing manure lagoons with poop jokes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately not in all states. Anytime there is a storm of any note the NC low country is awash in the effluent from overflowing manure lagoons

In a state whose legislature is under the thumb of their lobby, such as my own, yes I know they will.

However none of this is relevant to the point that I was trying to make. The point I was driving at is that the dismissive fart jokes directed at the concern for the methane emissions that large scale animal agriculture produces are no different then trying to dismiss waterways befouled by overflowing manure lagoons with poop jokes.
No, I get your point. It is dumb to make jokes instead of addressing the issue. I worked on a farm for two years so I get the methane thing. Where I was at it seemed pretty normal and not excessive at all. I would be curious to know if studies have been done on wild cattle and animals to (ugh...) measure the levels of methane there and see if it's the same or lower or what. Then we could go from there and make changes. Anyone want to sign up? ^_^

However, I believe the methane is actually produced mostly in the lagoon ponds and also released when they put the manure on the fields. I don't think it is necessarily coming directly from the livestock at all. ACTUALLY, if they could use the energy of burning methane to run parts of these farms that would significantly reduce the energy cost of meat. They would lose some of their free fertilizer, but...

See what I mean? There are ways of solving this without banning meat consumption. We just have to use our brains.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Oh and that's ridiculous about the overflowing lagoons! Some I know of are right next to public roads, so it could never go unnoticed! People would be furious. They have huge tarps over top that direct the water somewhere else so they don't fill up with water and flood. The manure is emptied into the lagoon from below the tarp directly from the floors of the barns (there are gaps at the ends of the barn and the floor scrapers cause the manure to go down those gaps where gravity brings it to the lagoon). I don't know all the details of how they're built, but those are some of my observations at least.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We only have 10 years.

Party on! AOC bartend again. Get me a brandy and coke with a lime. Stat girl.

Isn't that AOC just a hoot? That gal even thinks the Earth isn't flat? Can you believe that?!!? Lol!

She knows how to get under the skin of Trump supporters, that's for sure!

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh and that's ridiculous about the overflowing lagoons! Some I know of are right next to public roads, so it could never go unnoticed! People would be furious. They have huge tarps over top that direct the water somewhere else so they don't fill up with water and flood. The manure is emptied into the lagoon from below the tarp directly from the floors of the barns (there are gaps at the ends of the barn and the floor scrapers cause the manure to go down those gaps where gravity brings it to the lagoon). I don't know all the details of how they're built, but those are some of my observations at least.
It's amazing what can go on when an industry is the only game in a poverty stricken area with the weight of national cooperations and lobby groups keeping the state legislature in their lane.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Isn't that AOC just a hoot? That gal even thinks the Earth isn't flat? Can you believe that?!!? Lol!

She knows how to get under the skin of Trump supporters, that's for sure!
She doesn’t get under our skin. It’s more like we laugh.

She’s actually great for Trump.

It’s hard to question his intelligence when she's talking about colonial cauliflower and how scary her garbage disposal is.

Boston University must be proud.

• Haha
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0