Democrat Sheila Jackson Lee gets first-class seat on United ... after passenger bumped to economy

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
They are no better than anyone else and should not be given preferential treatment. However, I can see why the hospitals and airlines do what they do. Perhaps they fear legislative retaliation of some sort or maybe they are seeking legislative favors?

Except, as keeps being pointed out here, there is no evidence that preferential treatment was asked for or given. Unless United is lying, it appears that the woman was playing with the app -- maybe just getting flight info or maybe looking into finding a different flight -- and accidentally cancelled her reservation.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh my! Woman accuses United of giving her seat to Houston's Sheila Jackson Lee

A passenger on a flight from Houston to Washington D.C. has accused United Airlines of giving her first-class seat to U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee. D-Houston, and then threatening to remove her from the plane for complaining and snapping a photo of the Houston congresswoman.
Her seat, 1A, was taken, she was told. Simon was given a $500 voucher and reseated in row 11, Economy Plus.
Simon said she went to the front and snapped a photo of Jackson Lee and told a flight attendant that she knew why she'd been bumped
.​
And we should believe this woman because ... ?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here’s the other side of the story.

At first, Simon didn't know who was in her seat as she argued at the gate. United eventually gave her a $500 voucher and reseated her in the economy plus section. In her original Facebook post, Simon said another Texas congressman then informed her a fellow member of the delegation was in her seat, and "regularly does this" to passengers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the same link

I guess the good congresswoman played the race card

But despite a statement from United seeking to explain the switch-out, she's not giving up the fight. And the congresswoman's response – essentially claiming Simon made a scene because Jackson Lee, as an African-American woman, is an "easy target" – did not calm the waters.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for canceling the ticket

I’m not some AARP grandmother who doesn’t know how to use a phone,” she said. “I know how to cancel a flight and I did not cancel this flight.”

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The airline said the passenger cancelled her reservation at 11:22am via the app. They said they have the evidence for it. She could have checked in at home, then accidentally cancelled it while waiting (it was delayed). They are real specific about that.

And the airline gave her a $500 voucher, refunded the points that she used (140,000 as it was the final leg of an international trip - which is quite a lot!), and reached out to her in a phone call to apologize and explain. And she got a seat on the plane. She is complaining that they did not do a written apology.

So any sympathy I had for her is gone away. Especially the "AARP grandmother" comment. Since when are all AARP members (grandmothers) ignorant of phones??

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I’m not some AARP grandmother who doesn’t know how to use a phone,” she said. “I know how to cancel a flight and I did not cancel this flight.”

Not saying she's lying, but after being in IT for nearly 20 years, people do all kinds of stuff on their phones/computers and then claim they didn't. A user didn't know we record sessions and claimed he didn't do something. I brought up the video. He did do that thing. He told me the video was a fake. (No, the man in question was not Donald Trump)

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Not saying she's lying, but after being in IT for nearly 20 years, people do all kinds of stuff on their phones/computers and then claim they didn't. A user didn't know we record sessions and claimed he didn't do something. I brought up the video. He did do that thing. He told me the video was a fake. (No, the man in question was not Donald Trump)

That sneaky Democrat must have hacked into that poor old woman's phone, and cancelled her ticket so that she could snatch it up. That's the only possible explanation. I challenge anyone to put forth a more plausible one.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That sneaky Democrat must have hacked into that poor old woman's phone, and cancelled her ticket so that she could snatch it up. That's the only possible explanation. I challenge anyone to put forth a more plausible one.
You know those Democrats with the Google on their side... I hear they cancelled Christmas this year.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From the same link

I guess the good congresswoman played the race card

But despite a statement from United seeking to explain the switch-out, she's not giving up the fight. And the congresswoman's response – essentially claiming Simon made a scene because Jackson Lee, as an African-American woman, is an "easy target" – did not calm the waters.
True, she's not an easy target for being black. She's an easy target for being a congresswoman.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Here’s the other side of the story.

At first, Simon didn't know who was in her seat as she argued at the gate. United eventually gave her a $500 voucher and reseated her in the economy plus section. In her original Facebook post, Simon said another Texas congressman then informed her a fellow member of the delegation was in her seat, and "regularly does this" to passengers.

Does what? Somehow manages to force airlines to give her first class accommodations at other passengers expense? How? Why?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Way to insult millions of Americans. Her inner elitist appears.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0