Democrat representative switching parties due to Trump impeachment (more to come?)

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
His comments --
“I believe that this is just a better fit for me,” Van Drew said, following a meeting with Trump Thursday afternoon. “This is who I am.”

Now -- after watching a little of this so called impeachment thing -- can anyone blame him for leaving?
M-Bob

His entire staff certainly did. It remains to be seen how the voters feel.

Of course, if Donald gets re-elected and Van Drew doesn't, there's probably a cushy cabinet position waiting for him.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't help but think of Jeff Flake, John McCain, Mitt Romney, and others that are excoriated as not being "Real Republicans," since they don't worship at Trump's feet.

Justin Amash, too... who is now an independent.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Justin Amash, too... who is now an independent.

I disagree on a number of issues with Justin Amash, but he was one of the very few Republicans (now Independent) that I truly respected. I first heard about him when he was arguing against indefinite detention for U.S. citizens who were only suspected of terrorism and he was one of the few people within *both* major parties fighting against this thing that appeared to be a HUGE infringement on people's rights. He was one of the very few that kept me from completely giving up on the Republican party for a while until the GOP just got entirely too deranged. I am glad that Amash decided to go Independent and I hope he continues to be successful in his political career despite my opposition to him on *some* issues.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,246.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Why doesn't he become an independent like Justin Amash did?

If he becomes a Republican, he is repudiating all the values of the majority who voted for him.

I don't know of a single Democrat who doesn't believe that Trump is incompetent, lazy, personally repugnant, dishonest, corrupt, narcissistic, cruel, and more. There is no way any of the people who voted for him would accept such a change.

It is one thing to become an independent and quite another to embrace the poisonous politics of Trump.

Most Democrats I know are apprehensive, because they know that Republicans in the Senate have refused to pass laws needed to protect our election from foreign influence, and because they know how much dark money will be thrown into the election. They are afraid of Biden being nominated because Trump, as president, has ordered his accomplice in the DOJ to reinvesigate what the Bidens have already been cleared of. They will "pretend" that this sham of an investigation will lead somewhere.

There were people who voted for Trump who knew his character (and lack thereof) but they convinced themselves that "Hillary was worse." Trump knows that if he can construct a false narrative so that some voters can believe that Biden is "as corrupt as Trump" (I don't know what planet they've been visiting...) that they will vote for him.

Hillary had more integrity in her little finger than Trump did in his whole body, but people were duped into believing they had to pick from two corrupt choices.

Proportion, people, proportion!

As far as character was concerned Clinton was just as bad. As far as politics was concerned she was worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
She is certainly the most unjustly maligned and persecuted candidate in the world, powered by a disinformation campaign, spread by Russia, led by a brutal barbaric opponent.
There is no factual evidence to imply that she was even 1 percent as bad as Trump, and she was voted most admired woman in the world more times than any other.
I have followed her career and read all her books. Witch hunt is defined by Republicanefforts to bring her down for no reason. While hordes of psychologists, psychiatrists, attorneys, professors, and historians almost universally have warned us that Trump is intellectually, morally, spiritually, and ethically incapable of serving as president, few if any have criticized Hillary.

• Winner
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
She is certainly the most unjustly maligned and persecuted candidate in the world, powered by a disinformation campaign, spread by Russia, led by a brutal barbaric opponent.
There is no factual evidence to imply that she was even 1 percent as bad as Trump, and she was voted most admired woman in the world more times than any other.
I have followed her career and read all her books. Witch hunt is defined by Republicanefforts to bring her down for no reason. While hordes of psychologists, psychiatrists, attorneys, professors, and historians almost universally have warned us that Trump is intellectually, morally, spiritually, and ethically incapable of serving as president, few if any have criticized Hillary.

I believe one of the reasons there was so much effort to bring her down is because she is a very smart, exceptionally talented woman who attempted to do more in the White House than pick out china patterns and give talks to women's groups.

I wasn't even the biggest fan of Hillary, and I disagreed with her on some number of things, but it was still very clear...very obvious in fact...that she would have been the superior choice by over a thousandfold.

Upvote 0