Democrat representative switching parties due to Trump impeachment (more to come?)

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is even less room for moderates in the Republican party now days.

Not really.
Many are quiet until voting time.
Should be an excellent showing for Trump?
The false impeachment
might even bring in extra votes?
M-Bob

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anti-impeachment Democrat Jeff Van Drew meets with Trump to discuss party switch

Rep. Jeff Van Drew, D-N.J., met with President Trump on Friday to discuss going across party lines and joining the Republican Party -- this after he has spent months criticizing fellow Democrats for their push to impeach Trump.

A source confirmed to Fox News on Saturday that Van Drew met with Trump to discuss switching parties.

Another source told Fox News that Van Drew may be seeking a Rose Garden ceremony if he were to switch. Van Drew is one of two Democrats who opposed the resolution codifying the impeachment probe. In addition, Van Drew indicated last week he would not support impeachment and thought impeachment would backfire on Democrats.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Impeachment may cause a backfire in 2020?????
Maybe more like a mini nuke?
M-Bob

kudos to a politician who is speaking truth to power and then acting on it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I heard from an unnamed source it was lower taxes, higher wages and jobs for his constituents.

That doesnt quite follow. If Donald is the savior of America that he thinks he is, New Jersey will receive those benefits regardless of Van Drew's political affiliation.

(After all, it's not like Donald would punish an entire state or city over something as petty as a single representative... oh, wait; that's classic Donald. Never mind)

Switching parties is a personal decision that only affects Van Drew's career. What's in it for him?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Switching parties is a personal decision that only affects Van Drew's career. What's in it for him?

I would imagine at this point, honesty is in it for him. He can no longer put up with the party, so is leaving.

it’s an honest move. A person who claims to be of a particular party, but can’t support the party or its leadership/actions, yet continues to identify as one is just not an honest person.

can you imagine stating he was a Democrat and spending his whole time speaking out about everything the Democrats are doing, it’s just not an honest person.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would imagine at this point, honesty is in it for him. He can no longer put up with the party, so is leaving.

it’s an honest move. A person who claims to be of a particular party, but can’t support the party or its leadership/actions, yet continues to identify as one is just not an honest person.

can you imagine stating he was a Democrat and spending his whole time speaking out about everything the Democrats are doing, it’s just not an honest person.

That is certainly a possibility, and it's the most likely scenario. However, as an honest person, shouldn't Van Drew be concerned not only with scrupulous honesty, but maintaining the appearance of such?

This is Washington, after all... appearance trumps reality every day... and twice on Sunday.

Now, it's certainly possible that Donald offered nothing to Van Drew, although as a businessman, Donald's no stranger to offering incentives to those who please him.

Surely Van Drew must have seen how suspicious this might have appeared, and thought it would have been wiser to postpone his private meeting with Donald (where they discussed... whatever) until after he made his official announcement?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That is certainly a possibility, and it's the most likely scenario. However, as an honest person, shouldn't Van Drew be concerned not only with scrupulous honesty, but maintaining the appearance of such?

The appearance of such? Oh no you've found him out. How'd you know that this was really a hidden thing done years ago.....Van Drew told Donald as I say years ago I'll run to be a Democratic congressman and at just the right time I'll join the Republicans to give the impression they're loosing support just when you as President they're giving you a hard time. ^_^

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really.
Many are quiet until voting time.
Should be an excellent showing for Trump?
The false impeachment
might even bring in extra votes?
M-Bob

I can't help but think of Jeff Flake, John McCain, Mitt Romney, and others that are excoriated as not being "Real Republicans," since they don't worship at Trump's feet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmmm. Yes. I believe doing that would make him a dishonest person.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The appearance of such? Oh no you've found him out. How'd you know that this was really a hidden thing done years ago.....Van Drew told Donald as I say years ago I'll run to be a Democratic congressman and at just the right time I'll join the Republicans to give the impression they're loosing support just when you as President they're giving you a hard time. ^_^

Who said anything about "years ago?" These are current events.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean? Aren't many on the other side lamenting that their party to too far left? Isn't that why Bloomberg got in the race and Biden's trying to pull the party back more to the centre?

The Democratic party would need to move left to be pulled back towards the center. The only reason the party *appears* to be left now is because the Republican party has moved right to such an extreme that anyone even slightly less than that extreme seems like a communist.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a difference between changing parties and changing to the party the Republican Party has become.

It would be akin to leaving the Sons of Italy for the Mafia. Or leaving the NAACP for Antifa. Or leaving the Hibernian Society to join the IRA.

There are a few honest Republicans I can identify out there, Romney, Jeff Flake, Colin Powell.

The rest of them are defending the indefensible because of either fear of a primary challenge or some perceived benefit to their platform that they could not accomplish honestly.

As I said, this does not represent the entire Republican Party.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Anti-impeachment Democrat Jeff Van Drew meets with Trump to discuss party switch

Rep. Jeff Van Drew, D-N.J., met with President Trump on Friday to discuss going across party lines and joining the Republican Party -- this after he has spent months criticizing fellow Democrats for their push to impeach Trump.

A source confirmed to Fox News on Saturday that Van Drew met with Trump to discuss switching parties.

Another source told Fox News that Van Drew may be seeking a Rose Garden ceremony if he were to switch. Van Drew is one of two Democrats who opposed the resolution codifying the impeachment probe. In addition, Van Drew indicated last week he would not support impeachment and thought impeachment would backfire on Democrats.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Impeachment may cause a backfire in 2020?????
Maybe more like a mini nuke?
M-Bob

Edit, apparently some need clarification:

Well Bob, not to burst your bubble or anything, but when Trump was inaugurated, there were 241 Republicans in the House but now 104 of them have either retired, been defeated or are not running again in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well Bob, not to burst your bubble or anything, but when Trump was inaugurated, there were 241 Republicans in the House but now 104 of them have either retired, been defeated or are not running again in 2020.

so 241 - 104 should leave 137 - however there are currently 197 Republicans in the House.

Just to clarify.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married