Delusion = The seventh day Sabbath is a Jewish holiday.

Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I must confess, I have never really understood all the fuss over which particular day of the week the Sabbath is. And it seems to me, people who place a great deal of emphasis on this subject, really miss the emphasis of the Lord of the Sabbath (and the primary emphasis' of Scripture as a whole), and obviously have never had to try and get a job in the town I live in. I see these discussions as about as fruitful as arguing over genealogies, or the actual date of the birth and resurrection of Christ. Oh this group or that group is correct about the Sabbath, they must be correct about everything else, if only we can convince others about this one point, then perhaps....not.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must confess, I have never really understood all the fuss over which particular day of the week the Sabbath is. And it seems to me, people who place a great deal of emphasis on this subject, really miss the emphasis of the Lord of the Sabbath (and the primary emphasis' of Scripture as a whole), and obviously have never had to try and get a job in the town I live in. I see these discussions as about as fruitful as arguing over genealogies, or the actual date of the birth and resurrection of Christ. Oh this group or that group is correct about the Sabbath, they must be correct about everything else, if only we can convince others about this one point, then perhaps....not.

Why all the fuss over same sex marriage and homosexual pastors and their partners? They love each other and isn't love the bottom line? Isn't love the whole purpose of the Law?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why all the fuss over same sex marriage and homosexual pastors and their partners? They love each other and isn't love the bottom line? Isn't love the whole purpose of the Law?

That a whole different issue. Humanism is not the bottom line.

Love the LORD with all your heart, mind, and soul, is the bottom line, and we both should know what the law has to say on the issue you brought up. Breaking commandments goes against the "bottom line". So there you have it.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Apologetic_Warrior

Why all the fuss over same sex marriage and homosexual pastors and their partners?
They love each other and isn't love the bottom line?
Isn't love the whole purpose of the Law?
Who here is fussing over it? :confused:
And what does that have to do with the Jewish Sabbath?

Homosexuality in Judaism and Jewish Thought - My Jewish Learning

Two verses in Leviticus (18:23 and 20:13) express unequivocal condemnation of male homosexual sex (although it is not clear whether what is referred to is intercourse or all sexual acts between men).
According to Leviticus 20:13: "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Nonetheless, the traditional Jewish position on homosexuality is still difficult for many liberal-minded Jews, and the liberal denominations have debated the extent to which gays and lesbians can be fully integrated into religious communities.
The first and least controversial step taken by the Conservative, Reconstructionist, and Reform movements was to endorse civil equality for gays and lesbians. The CCAR, the Reform movement's rabbinical council, took an early and active role in fighting for gay rights. In 1977 it drafted a call to decriminalize homosexual sex and to end all discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Nonetheless, the traditional Jewish position on homosexuality is still difficult for many liberal-minded Jews, and the liberal denominations have debated the extent to which gays and lesbians can be fully integrated into religious communities.

The first and least controversial step taken by the Conservative, Reconstructionist, and Reform movements was to endorse civil equality for gays and lesbians. The CCAR, the Reform movement's rabbinical council, took an early and active role in fighting for gay rights. In 1977 it drafted a call to decriminalize homosexual sex and to end all discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That a whole different issue. Humanism is not the bottom line.

Love the LORD with all your heart, mind, and soul, is the bottom line, and we both should know what the law has to say on the issue you brought up. Breaking commandments goes against the "bottom line". So there you have it.

Interesting. Keeping the sabbath is a commandment. And since loving the Lord i sthe bottom line, and breaking the sabbath goes against the bottom line, as you so accurately put it, it should be easy to see what the "big deal" is when it comes to the Sabbath and what day it is.

So there you have it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the problem is Jesus worked on the sabbth. Not only that but Jesus did not repeat the sabbth in his repeated of the ten commands

So did the Priests, and yet Christ said they didn't sin. And why would Christ need to be recorded repeating anything for us to consider it to be valid?

The commandment to Love God is spelled out in the first four. The commandment to love your neighbor is spelled out in the last six. So yes, Christ did repeat the 4th.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not onlythat but gentiles where not under the law and circumcision was in the heart.

Matthew 5:17-19; Too Slender of a Reed to Support Seventh-Day Sabbatarianism

Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Keeping the sabbath is a commandment. And since loving the Lord i sthe bottom line, and breaking the sabbath goes against the bottom line, as you so accurately put it, it should be easy to see what the "big deal" is when it comes to the Sabbath and what day it is.

So there you have it.

So do you keep the 7th day Sabbath as the LORD in the Torah commands it to be kept?

Paul

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

So did the Priests, and yet Christ said they didn't sin. And why would Christ need to be recorded repeating anything for us to consider it to be valid?

The commandment to Love God is spelled out in the first four. The commandment to love your neighbor is spelled out in the last six. So yes, Christ did repeat the 4th.
What does keeping the sabbath have to do with loving your neighbor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
F

from scratch

Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people
Please explain verse 6.

And would you kindly show how the for all people means the whole world?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Who here is fussing over it? :confused:
And what does that have to do with the Jewish Sabbath?

I had seventh day adventists especially in mind...

Homosexuality in Judaism and Jewish Thought - My Jewish Learning

Two verses in Leviticus (18:23 and 20:13) express unequivocal condemnation of male homosexual sex (although it is not clear whether what is referred to is intercourse or all sexual acts between men).
According to Leviticus 20:13: "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

"Conservative" evangelicals also point to other biblical texts like the Sodom and Gomorrah account, and the first chapter in Romans, etc. Then there are the arguments for design, arguments against genocide, etc. Anyway, I do not think rationality per say has solved many moral problems, only restrained. Emotionality seems to be most prevalent and dominating on moral issues.

Anyhow this is a topic I shy away from, where I would rather preach the Gospel of sovereign grace, and leave the rest to God.

Back to the topic, In a sense, every day is Sabbath day for Christians, Christ is our rest.

Upvote 0

Bjornke

May 8, 2011
Visit site
✟8,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Good arguments by all, but here is how I view it: The day of which the Sabbath is on is hard because of the different styles of record keeping of the days between now and before Christ. However, it is clear two things about Sabbath:

It is a day of rest for there shall be no normal work (and therefor should focus solely on God)
You should keep it, once a week.
You should do good, no matter what day it is.

For me, day is not important, but I consider my Sabbath to be on Saturday the day of rest before Church, however with many job now requiring work all the time, I can only claim Sunday for them as Sabbath, but I try to always keep day of rest and day for thoughts for God once a week, where no normal work shall be done.

Now I believe Jesus was not saying for us to ignore the Sabbath, but reminding us that the Sabbath is not a day where we must sit in our beds and do nothing but pray (though if you want you can). It seem to me that the Sabbath is meant as day for remembrance and paying honor to all things good and just, through God Himself. So if work must be done to rescue a donkey or help family put food on table, because it is for good, then it can be done? Also remember Jesus was "Lord of the Sabbath" and could choose whether to work or not.

But also I am new to Christianity in some ways, so please do not take my word for it. I hope all is well and bible has better answers, as do other members. Some members really good answers.

Blessings,

Brandon

Upvote 0