über.n00b
Feb 8, 2005
Tennessee
✟9,722.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Dekker. Because The Circle Trilogy and Thr3e are some of the most compelling works of fiction I've read. The only thing I've read by Peretti so far is This Present Darkness. Although I liked it....I was not engrossed in the story or anything. I read House by Dekker and Peretti and thought it was terrible. I'm not saying Peretti is the reason it was bad. It was just....bad. Dekker has written bad stuff too. Skin, for example. But overall he's great.

Upvote 0

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I prefer Dekker. He has this amazing ability to inject spirituality into a thriller novel and wax philosophical without slowing down the plot or making any character a mouthpiece for his opinions. His novels are as cinematic as action movies--that's how good he is at description--and yet you put the book down having gained something to think about.

Upvote 0

CoreyO

Mar 18, 2008
✟8,369.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dekker, all the way. I really like The Oath by Peretti, and the "Present Darkness Series", but I like Dekker's style better I think. A little more fast-paced. I'm currently reading Skin, which I've heard wasn't that good, but I got it on bargain sale at Barnes and Noble for like 5 bucks. So, I'm reading that until I get his next book, ADAM, which is supposed to be his best book yet according to the advance reviews I've read.

Upvote 0

Abashag

Feb 6, 2008
Earth- not my home.
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lol, I'm gonna break the norm here. I've only read the two Darkness books by Peretti, and am just starting the Circle Trilogy, and thus far, I had more fun reading Peretti's stuff. But then, I am a conosseur of neither author, so I can't really make a solid judgment ;)

Upvote 0

NeoScribe

This is it.
Apr 12, 2006
That one place...
✟16,206.00
Faith
Christian
I'll be another oddball and say Peretti. Compared to Dekker, his early stuff wasn't that great but the Oath and the Visitation are awsome. Dekker's books are a too short and the characters are a little to stiff for me (Blink being the exception) though I do prefer his singular, intense, battle between the good guys and psycho evil to Perretti's evil council mystery villians. But I think Perretti does a better job of fleshing out his characters and his stories seem more real.

Upvote 0

Outofthebox42

Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I LOVE Ted Dekker...his Circle trilogy is amazing. I go back a little further with Dekker, back when he did Blessed Child with Bill Bright. Incredible. His past books like Thunder from Heaven, all those, are just amazing and I love them.

Upvote 0

WalkOn

Jeremiah 33:3
Oct 18, 2005
Lakeland, FL
✟16,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I really like them both, so I can't really say which I prefer. I would say they are different in their styles.

I've read the Blessed series and Obsession which were all awesome. I'm currently reading Black, the first book in the Circle Trilogy, and I'm just totally amazed by how awesome this book is so far. I like the fantasy elements, it's like a more grown-up version of Chronicles of Narnia in a way.

I've read The Visitation and some of the Cooper's Kid series from Peretti and have enjoyed that as well.

All in all, I think they are both great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a fan of Dekker's writing style - it's not poor writing, I just don't like it - though the stories themselves are at least interesting enough to keep me from boredom on an airplane (then again, I read Paolini on planes too). On the other hand, I haven't read much Peretti lately so I wouldn't be able to make a qualified decision.

And all that was to say I don't really like the genre(s) they both write in enough to make a decent call.

Disclaimer - I am not comparing the quality of Dekker's work to that of Paolini's.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Although I've enjoyed the few Dekker books that I've read. Showdown,Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed,most of his books,like the Circle Trilogy do not interest me,so I prefer Peretti by far,This Present Darkness,Piercing The Darkness,The Visitation and The Oath are superb!

Another great Christian author of suspense is Randy Alcorn. Check out his "Safely Home","The Ishbane Conspiracy" and his "Ollie Chandler" series.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Peretti was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen and preteen.
I haven't read any Dekker yet and don't really plan to. So Peretti is my favorite of the two, but I haven't given Dekker a chance yet.

Upvote 0