Degrees of Sin

Are there degrees of sin?

• Yes! there are degrees of sin.

• No! Degrees of sin have been determined by humans.

Results are only viewable after voting.
J

JesusWalks78

Some Christians believe that there are "degrees of sin" as if God has some "sliding scale" to determine which sins are worse than others. Do you think this is sound theology? Do you know of scriptures to support your answer?

Yes I do and i am preparing a post, but i will only post it once someone can answer what is the deadliest sin.

Upvote 0
J

JesusWalks78

1 John 5:16-19
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life--to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death. We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

Here it is saying that some sin doesn’t lead to death, when we know that the wages of sin is death.

2 Cor 11:14-15
No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

Here it shows that each man shall receive according to his deeds meaning that some works are greater than others and some sin is greater than the other.

Hebrews 10:26-31 (capitalization is in the NASB)
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

How much severer punishment? That statement by itself shows there are degrees of punishment in hell.

Matthew 5 (KJV)
21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

See the sin is first anger….you will be judged, then calling Raca….you will be in danger of council…..to say fool means that you will go to hell fire.

A showing that the punishment gets worse as the sin gets more severe.

Matthew 12 (KJV) 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Here it shows that one sin is most definitely worse than all the rest.

John 19 the conversation between Jesus and Pilate. What is interesting is in verse 11 where Jesus says:

19:11. Jesus answered: Thou shouldst not have any power against me, unless it were given thee from above. Therefore, he that hath delivered me to thee hath the greater sin.

Luke 20:47 (King James Version)

47Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.
Greater damnation. There are more but this forum has a word limit…and I will say that there are degrees of sin stated by the Catholic Church, but like all teachings is based of biblical reference.
So we now know that there is one sin that is unforgivable, to be of a worse degree than the others…and some that give greater damnation.

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes I do and i am preparing a post, but i will only post it once someone can answer what is the deadliest sin.

this aint a game show where your handing out prizes. either post or dont.

but there isnt one sin worse than any other. degrees of pnishment perhaps but no one sin is worse than another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Have you seen my post?

yes I have. I have always believed in varying degrees of punishment but I just dont see nor agree with specif degrees of sin being worse than the other with that one exception: blasphemy which we both agree on.

the majority of your post talks about the degrees of punishment, not whether the sin is actually worse as stated by God from any other.

not a cop out but I got to log off real quick here for a while/ also bear in mind, my bible knowledge isnt what it use to be. I am not as up on the verses as I once was since I walked out of church in '82 and never went back. So, some of my knowledge is fading memory but what I dont know, I PM some here and ask.

Upvote 0
J

JesusWalks78

yes I have. I have always believed in varying degrees of punishment but I just dont see nor agree with specif degrees of sin being worse than the other with that one exception: blasphemy which we both agree on.

the majority of your post talks about the degrees of punishment, not whether the sin is actually worse as stated by God from any other.

not a cop out but I got to log off real quick here for a while/ also bear in mind, my bible knowledge isnt what it use to be. I am not as up on the verses as I once was since I walked out of church in '82 and never went back. So, some of my knowledge is fading memory but what I dont know, I PM some here and ask.

What about when JESUS said to Pilate that the sin was greater....I also quoted that, why isnt that a clear indication.

I look forward to your return.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.