Degrees of reward in Heaven.

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I always felt a bit uncomfortable with the idea of degree of rewards in Heaven. In my thinking just the thought of being redeemed by the infinite righteousness of Christ, and His absorbing of the wrath of God for my sin and imperfections made the emphasis of earning extra "rewards" strange.
It reminds me too much of the doctrine of "carnal" Christians. Those that sign up, are saved but choose to live with less spiritual blessings.
I've listened to lots of RC Sproul and he often emphasizes "all will come under judgement to give an account" with an ominous tone, concerning the rewards that will be given or lost based on how we live our Christian lives now. He does make an effort to distinguish them from works based rewards by calling them "grace rewards."
I've been listening to lots of Don Fortner and have found in him someone very like-minded to myself in many topics, this included. He says in many ways this doctrine of degrees of Heavenly rewards has become the Evangelical version of purgatory.

Don Fortner on degrees of Heavenly Rewards.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In the past I would hear Christians mention rewards and crowns, never really believed it, just couldn't imagine anything better than Christ. After listening to the sermons by Fortner I'm convinced he is interpreting the scriptures.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟81,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without an explicit Biblical reference to some being rewarded more than others, then I reject the idea. Yes, we must give an account for every idle word, but this does not pertain to the reward, which we experience as a corporate Church body, made up of individuals, sealed by the Spirit in union with Christ for eternity. If God views me as if I am Christ, and very idle word I spoken is nailed to the cross, then how can I partake in anything less than anyone else?

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without an explicit Biblical reference to some being rewarded more than others, then I reject the idea. Yes, we must give an account for every idle word, but this does not pertain to the reward, which we experience as a corporate Church body, made up of individuals, sealed by the Spirit in union with Christ for eternity. If God views me as if I am Christ, and very idle word I spoken is nailed to the cross, then how can I partake in anything less than anyone else?

I reckon the reward is how you experience the afterlife. If you went through your life more attached to the world then the world to come, your reward will be less. When one focuses on the world to come they are 'building mansions' and 'storing up treasure' in heaven that they will enjoy when they get there. If you are focused more on this world, the mansions won't be as big and the treasure less. It's not what God's giving you, from a Christian perspective, that work is done. It's what your preparing for yourself.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
http://www.christianforums.com/t7751487/

Twin nails it, "We all get exactly what Christ has earned for us and nothing less. The question is what has He earned for us. Of course the answer is all of it. If my rewards are based on my works in any measure to any extent then I am bound for Hell for sure. We are joint-heirs with Christ who alone deserves the glory that awaits us. In Him I am accepted. In Him I am adopted. In Him I am blessed. In Him I am glorified. In Him I have an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled. In Him I am complete."

Upvote 0

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've heard Piper speak on the subject. His take on it is that the reward for greater faithfulness is being closer to Christ in Heaven. Some of us will sit in the bleachers and some in the owners box. (he didn't put quite that way but...)

Here's an excellent sermon I heard this week on the subject.

Sermon: Weakness Rewarded.......Don Fortner

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟81,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I reckon the reward is how you experience the afterlife. If you went through your life more attached to the world then the world to come, your reward will be less. When one focuses on the world to come they are 'building mansions' and 'storing up treasure' in heaven that they will enjoy when they get there. If you are focused more on this world, the mansions won't be as big and the treasure less. It's not what God's giving you, from a Christian perspective, that work is done. It's what your preparing for yourself.

I am not sure Christ is literally speaking of a bank account. The Scripture does not lend itself to this.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Of course not. That's why I used the quotes. Scriptures are filled with symbolism when describing heaven and hell. It's not literal treasure or literal mansions but descriptions trying to describe the indescribable.

Muslim? Really?

After the genocide of Christians in the last few months you become a Muslim?

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Muslim? Really?

Yes. Seems to make the most sense when you believe in One God.

After the genocide of Christians in the last few months you become a Muslim?

If you are talking about ISIS, I am not sure what an extremist group that brutally kills Christians, Muslims, Pagans, atheists and anyone else who disagrees with them has to do with my beliefs. :confused:

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Seems to make the most sense when you believe in One God.

If you are talking about ISIS, I am not sure what an extremist group that brutally kills Christians, Muslims, Pagans, atheists and anyone else who disagrees with them has to do with my beliefs. :confused:

ISIS has everything to do with Islam. RC Sproul and Abdul Saleeb have done an excellent job this past week explaining Islam and its beliefs. Here's the first episode of 5: Renewing Your Mind | Opposing Foundations | September 17, 2014

A Muslim who does not believe that the world must convert to Islam by any means necessary is what Christians would call a backslider or lukewarm. Such a person does not really believe the Koran (the WHOLE Koran and not just the select "Religion of Peace" passages).

As you point out, you believe that we do not worship one God or that we worship him in a blasphemous way. You do not believe that Jesus Christ is God and that calling him God is apostasy. The penalty for blasphemy and apostasy in the Koran is what? Your Koran says that Jesus will return, but it is to punish Christians for our blasphemy.

So, a Muslim who believes the Koran agrees with ISIS more than he will admit to the infidel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MyLordMySavior

MyLordMySavior
Jun 25, 2012
✟8,821.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know it makes me sad. :( I know I'll never be as good as Paul, Job, Mary, Mark, Luke, Peter, etc... even people today. I'm the worst sinner. I want to be the greatest for God, but I know I'll always be the worst. I won't get a crown if there are any, and that makes me sad... because I just want to be great for God, but I can't. I'm too weak. I'm too sinful. And though, I try and try, I'll always fail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know it makes me sad. :( I know I'll never be as good as Paul, Job, Mary, Mark, Luke, Peter, etc... even people today. I'm the worst sinner. I want to be the greatest for God, but I know I'll always be the worst. I won't get a crown if there are any, and that makes me sad... because I just want to be great for God, but I can't. I'm too weak. I'm too sinful. And though, I try and try, I'll always fail.

This is a reason I reject this emphasis of degrees of rewards..It tends to install a carnal sense of competition, envy, self-pity and even sadness concerning eternal life. The perfect righteousness of Christ makes me a delight in the eyes of God. We believers are all co-heirs with Christ and heirs of God. Christ told us we are to strive to enter, not to strive to be number one in the Kingdom. The disciples bickered over who would sit at His right and left hand. Any that enter will receive great rewards because they are joined to Christ.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello friend.

I have peacefully submitted myself to God.

Salaam

So have I. I have submitted myself to God through the sacrifice of his son, Jesus, and I am redeemed by his perfect life which erases my own balance sheet of deeds.

The good works of my life are not a futile attempt to overcome my own myriad of sins, but are just an outpouring of the love that God has shown to me.

You chose gordRedeemed as a screen name. How is a Muslim redeemed?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And though, I try and try, I'll always fail.

Yes, you will fail. This is why I left Wesleyan theology for Reformed. They don't adequately explain the majesty of God or the redemptive power of Christ. Since I went Reformed, Jesus stopped being a heavy weight on my shoulders and started being the living waters. I'm finally free!

Upvote 0