Definition of Sin According to the Bible

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 2:1My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. 2For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, 3and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,” 4have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? 5Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? 7Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called? 8If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF,” you are doing well. 9But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11For He who said, “DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY,” also said, “DO NOT COMMIT MURDER.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

Didnt James know that we have been freed from Law? 'Course he did, that's why he called it the law of Liberty. Hey! Hold on: isn't that kinda of an oxymoron? How can you label something that regulates, controls you, Liberty. It's like labelling a tax as free, calling it a tax of no cost.

James uses the term liberty to indicate that it was free to be interpreted, rather than spelled out in the form of 613 precepts. The way you knew you weren't following the Law of liberty and love was if you were doing something that was against God. The unmerciful steward wasn't doing anything against the 613 precepts, the letter of the law, but he was going against the tenor of the Kingdom of God, the spirit of the law. He was proving to be disloyal to the King, because God is love. His action was sedition.

The Covenant of Law required observing the 613 precepts.

The Covenant of Grace required observing loyalty.

Observing law resulted in justification, guardianship by the Law, till Christ came.

Observing loyalty resulted in grace, favour, the giving of gifts by the Patron.

Ephesians 4:7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
8Therefore it says,
“WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN".

BTW, Covenants were labelled by the benefits they held, Law (guardianship, protection!) Grace (favour, gifts!). But then y'all knew that...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
By the way, I don't think that there's a verse or even a single passage in the bible that defines sin exhaustively.

That is because sin is the death of Adam living in his children...only when he is crucified in the cross can a real life from the Father exist in us.....if a man tries to find his life in Adam(make him what he should be)he will lose his life...but if he looses his life(Adam dead with no more dependance from us)then he shall find it(God living in and through us giving us life that has none of its source from us)

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. And comprehensively expressed in:

Romans 3:23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

That is because sin is the death of Adam living in his children...only when he is crucified in the cross can a real life from the Father exist in us.....if a man tries to find his life in Adam(make him what he should be)he will lose his life...but if he looses his life(Adam dead with no more dependance from us)then he shall find it(God living in and through us giving us life that has none of its source from us)

Praising God, being his devoted follower, is the opposite of sin.

Moses failed to give glory to God.

The false prophets failed similarly.

Christ said the one who did miracles in His name had no choice but to later speak well of Him.

Whoever was for Him couldn't be against Him.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most common type of sin for a christian are sins of omission. Doing something bad is just as offensive to God as not doing anything at all.

As the one-talent steward discovered.

As I learned during my cycling days, you can't see the path around the obstacle while focused on the obstacle.

Or, as my daughter notes about teen-age horror movies: People always trip and get killed when they turn their heads to look back at the monster chasing them. They take their eyes off "life"--which is the waiting airplane in front of them--and turn back to look at "death." Then they fall and get killed. Don't look back at death; keep looking forward at life.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alas, the NKJV is so very prosaic on this phrase; I like the "superfluity of naughtiness" as a phrase because it is so quaint.

Without phrases like that the KJB would be quite completely antiquated :p

I don't know about you, but I think "superfluidity of naughtiness" is such a dandy saying that I'm certainly going to seek out occasions to use it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed !

It is scary to think that there are folks driving automobiles that may have a different opinion about the meaning of a word , such as: STOP on a red sign post at a road intersection.

Sadly - one of the reasons why there are sooooo very many different Church groups is because some folks twist verses out of context , and/or they ignore verses/sections of Holy Writ.

And yet, people who consider themselves law-abiding citizens do have their different interpretations of what a stop sign means to them. For some, stopping is totally relative to whether they see any cars coming on the cross street, for instance.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
By the way, I don't think that there's a verse or even a single passage in the bible that defines sin exhaustively.

They are all describing the same thing. That God is God, and we are not. That for all of our attempts to be God, we fail, and we will always fail. Because only God is God and only God can be who He is. We are dependent, created creatures - God alone is independent.

Our response of faith is our willingness to be receptive to the activity of God. Behavior not derived from God by faith cannot be consistent with His character, and is necessarily sinful. Just as whatever behavior that is derived from God by faith will necessarily be righteous. And when God is the source of your activity, the nature, the form of that activity is irrelevant.

We like to think of sin as the nasty nine and the dirty ten. But sin is most times much more subtle and insidious than that. The flesh has an amazing capacity for masquerading as righteousness in order to survive. W. Ian Thomas describes this phenomenon well….

“You may have harnessed the energy of the flesh in an otherwise quite genuine desire to honor the Lord Jesus in your life. The flesh, which has its origin in Satan, will go along with you; to survive, it is quite prepared to engage in every form of Christian activity, even though this may seem to honor Christ.

The flesh will sing in the choir, teach Sunday school, preside at a deacons’ meeting, preach from the pulpit, organize an evangelistic crusade, go to Bible college, volunteer for the mission field, and a thousand other things, all of which may in themselves be otherwise legitimate, if only it can keep its neck out of the noose. The flesh will threaten, shout, strut, domineer, sulk, plot, creep, beg, plead, or sob, whatever the situation may demand in the interests of its own survival. By any and all means it will seek to cause every Christian to live by his own strength instead of by the power and grace of the Lord Jesus, and to conclude that doing so is actually a good thing!”

To live by our own strength instead of by faith, by the power and grace of the Lord Jesus....that IS sin.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 2:1My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. 2For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, 3and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,” 4have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? 5Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? 7Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called? 8If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF,” you are doing well. 9But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11For He who said, “DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY,” also said, “DO NOT COMMIT MURDER.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

Didnt James know that we have been freed from Law? 'Course he did, that's why he called it the law of Liberty. Hey! Hold on: isn't that kinda of an oxymoron? How can you label something that regulates, controls you, Liberty. It's like labelling a tax as free, calling it a tax of no cost.

James uses the term liberty to indicate that it was free to be interpreted, rather than spelled out in the form of 613 precepts. The way you knew you weren't following the Law of liberty and love was if you were doing something that was against God. The unmerciful steward wasn't doing anything against the 613 precepts, the letter of the law, but he was going against the tenor of the Kingdom of God, the spirit of the law. He was proving to be disloyal to the King, because God is love. His action was sedition.

The Covenant of Law required observing the 613 precepts.

The Covenant of Grace required observing loyalty.

Observing law resulted in justification, guardianship by the Law, till Christ came.

Observing loyalty resulted in grace, favour, the giving of gifts by the Patron.

Ephesians 4:7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
8Therefore it says,
“WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN".

BTW, Covenants were labelled by the benefits they held, Law (guardianship, protection!) Grace (favour, gifts!). But then y'all knew that...

Now, take that and lay it along side Paul:

"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial.http://www.biblestudytools.com/1-co...1-corinthians+10:23-33#cr-descriptionAnchor-1 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. -- 1 Corinthians 10

By "everything is permissible" Paul is laying aside the 613 precepts and their thousands of man-made permutations.

By "But not everything is beneficial" Paul is raising the bar. He's going beyond the one-talent steward thinking. The one-talent steward was concerned only with avoiding doing something wrong. He failed to do what was profitable.

It's not "is this particular action a sin?" it's "What can I do that is profitable to the Lord?"

There is not going to be a written law that says to me, "You noticed that homeless guy on the corner just before you get to your bus stop. I made you notice him, because when you pack you lunch for tomorrow, I want you to make another bag for him."

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
...including your Church group.

Everyone else is twisting things out of context. That's what everyone says, anyway.

What a snarky , nasty reply! :scratch: Do you know my Church group ? Have we ever met ?

My illustration was a good one ... unless of course you are one of the people who commit 'rolling stops' , and/or only 'stop' if there is a police car in sight . Humans ( especially 'Christians' ) often do what they want to , when they want to. When confronted by a sermon from the pulpit or a preacher on the radio that zeros in on our favorite sin(s) --- many people ... rather than doing the 'Repent' , instead do the: "I'm taking my toys and going home' thing".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is the OP, SavedByChrist94, going to return to the thread that he started? He has not posted here in days.

Hello. I kind of doubt he will be back. The Thread title sounded interesting , so I read the O.P.. I immediately noticed that he said "The Bible" ... yet all of his quotes are from only the N.T.. Oddly - the guy wants to teach us ( the members/posters ) "the definition of sin according to the Bible" but leaves out the multitude of verses from the O.T..
"Sin" is a very important word/topic in the Bible , and it starts in Genesis. The definition(s) are plenty. Members can open up their concordances or indexes and see all the verses. From personal sin(s) to national sin(s). I hope the Thread starter will actually do that.

:confused:

His replies to some of the posters reminded me of a couple of "J.W.'s" that came to my house back when. They were there to teach me! They did not want me ( in my own house ) to dare and challenge them about their doctrines/ideas.

If you look under his avatar /name it says his age is 20. Says he has been a believer since 2011. ima thinkin' he needs to get a good study Bible like my "Open Bible" or a Thompson-Chain-Reference Bible and/or a "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge" read it , and study the notes and articles/references for at least 6 months before telling folks what to believe.
Hope he will give Dr. J. Vernon McGee on "Thru the Bible Radio" a listen each day. Hope he will read books written by J.C. Ryle. Hope he reads "Calvary Road" - 'The way of the cross' by Roy Hession.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a snarky , nasty reply! :scratch: Do you know my Church group ? Have we ever met ?

My illustration was a good one ... unless of course you are one of the people who commit 'rolling stops' , and/or only 'stop' if there is a police car in sight . Humans ( especially 'Christians' ) often do what they want to , when they want to. When confronted by a sermon from the pulpit or a preacher on the radio that zeros in on our favorite sin(s) --- many people ... rather than doing the 'Repent' , instead do the: "I'm taking my toys and going home' thing".

I don't know what your church group is, but it does this, too. "Everyone else is twisting scripture, but we have it right." No? Name one church that doesn't have this view. I'm all ears.

In the state of Ohio, STOP means a full stop at the line before the sign, but if you don't stop for a three-second count during your driving test, you're not getting your license to begin with. Drivers and and cops and nervous old ladies argue plenty about what constitutes a "full stop". One word, seventeen interpretations.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, if "superfluity of naughtiness" will not do as a definition then how about this?

Sin is an offence against God as well as a fault against reason, truth, and right conscience. Sin is a deliberate thought, word, deed, or omission contrary to the eternal law of God.
I rather like the overflowing wordage of superfluity of naughtiness that demands meekness to recieve the engrafted word that is able to save the soul. :cool:

Upvote 0