True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never found definitions of evil palatable. The most common understanding seems to be when something is really, really bad. Obviously, if this is the definition, then the problem comes with not being able to state the line at which badness becomes evil. Badness, as I understand it, is the opposite of goodness. Well, what's goodness? I can only find Aristotle helpful: the good is that at which all things aim, the goal or telos or completion of anything. Badness is whatever negates this goal or telos. Rot on a tree is bad, not evil, because it prevents the tree from completion.

Evil is the will-to-harm of another person or thing where the harm sought is intrinsically valued and therefore has no practical purpose.

Evil seeks to negate for its own sake, in contrast to the bad action which seeks to destroy for the sake of something else. Even what we would consider to be the most wicked actions where human beings are disregarded for a deeper end doesn't constitute evil -- unless the person who commits the act finds intrinsic reward or enjoyment in these actions.

We more often know evil by its actions than through people who act out evil with any sense of continuity. You hit me and I hit back, and insofar as I hit back because you hit me I'm not being evil, but the moment I take pleasure in the response is when evil enters the picture. However, that can hardly be enough to consider me an evil person; I don't go around taking pleasure in harming other people, even if in this instance I have.

What's more interesting to me is how evil is cultivated. I see the person most likely to be (have a character of) evil who seeks revenge on the world he sees as injuring him. This sense of revenge becomes unconscious and the self loses track of the practical act of revenge and gets lost in the woods of valuing his will-to-harm for its own sake. He becomes evil by preferring the taste of harm decontextualized from its original practical purpose of getting even.

If the above is true, then evil has a sense of goodness inherent to it, because the evil person works from a decontextualized sense of justice or fairness, both of which are good; it's just that this justice or fairness has lost its way, becomes desublimated, and therefore ceases to be justice or fairness. Moreover, the evil are the most deeply wounded. Even though all we may see from them are the actions we deem deplorable and even incomprehensible, the cure to evil is getting close to the person we're most repulsed by and unveiling these hurts, and through offering our humanity giving some semblance of a cure.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These things may not be the kind of definition you're looking for, but they may be helpful in coming up with one. Evil is what is contrary to God's nature (which is what defines what is Good). That may not be a very satisfying definition, though
  1. God's good nature defines boundaries for behavior; intentionally going outside of those is evil.
  2. Giving anything a higher place in your heart than God is evil (e.g., such as not believing something God said).
  3. Having an accusing heart or acting against God or his will is evil.
  4. God gives purpose to people and things; acting or speaking against them is evil.
  5. Exercising power one doesn't have the authority for is evil.
  6. While wanting and working to achieve a greater place in life is OK, seeking to exalt oneself is evil.
  7. Rejecting or intentionally failing to respect someone in a position of legitimate authority over you is evil (or their will in the area in which they have authority).
  8. Betrayal or hatred in one's heart is evil, as well as the actions that result from those.
  9. Receiving anything good without thanksgiving in one's heart is evil.
  10. Failing to accept that God has given some good things to other people (but not you) is evil
  11. While doing what is good for yourself is not evil, acting out selfishness is.
  12. Any interaction with another that you believe will harm them is evil.
  13. Harming a relationship between people is evil.
  14. Failing to do good when it is your responsibility to do good is evil.
  15. Being unnecessarily harsh with someone is evil.
  16. Allowing oneself to lose good judgment or self-control is evil.
Understanding the definition does not necessarily show one how to be Good, though. Because of our sinful nature, nothing we can do is entirely good. “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. (Mark 10:18, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never found definitions of evil palatable. The most common understanding seems to be when something is really, really bad. Obviously, if this is the definition, then the problem comes with not being able to state the line at which badness becomes evil. Badness, as I understand it, is the opposite of goodness. Well, what's goodness? I can only find Aristotle helpful: the good is that at which all things aim, the goal or telos or completion of anything. Badness is whatever negates this goal or telos. Rot on a tree is bad, not evil, because it prevents the tree from completion.
Apathetic definition i.m.o.
Evil is the opposite of good, so what is good?
Love is good.
Like the good Samaritan.
Like in 1 Corinthians 13
Love is the thing that seeks the benefit of others without judging.
So the opposite would be total egocentrism, which cuses pride, hate and jealousy, which drives to murder, rape and lies.

Reactions: xpower
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Evil is the will-to-harm of another person or thing where the harm sought is intrinsically valued and therefore has no practical purpose.

Evil seeks to negate for its own sake, in contrast to the bad action which seeks to destroy for the sake of something else. Even what we would consider to be the most wicked actions where human beings are disregarded for a deeper end doesn't constitute evil -- unless the person who commits the act finds intrinsic reward or enjoyment in these actions.

We more often know evil by its actions than through people who act out evil with any sense of continuity. You hit me and I hit back, and insofar as I hit back because you hit me I'm not being evil, but the moment I take pleasure in the response is when evil enters the picture. However, that can hardly be enough to consider me an evil person; I don't go around taking pleasure in harming other people, even if in this instance I have.

What's more interesting to me is how evil is cultivated. I see the person most likely to be (have a character of) evil who seeks revenge on the world he sees as injuring him. This sense of revenge becomes unconscious and the self loses track of the practical act of revenge and gets lost in the woods of valuing his will-to-harm for its own sake. He becomes evil by preferring the taste of harm decontextualized from its original practical purpose of getting even.

If the above is true, then evil has a sense of goodness inherent to it, because the evil person works from a decontextualized sense of justice or fairness, both of which are good; it's just that this justice or fairness has lost its way, becomes desublimated, and therefore ceases to be justice or fairness. Moreover, the evil are the most deeply wounded. Even though all we may see from them are the actions we deem deplorable and even incomprehensible, the cure to evil is getting close to the person we're most repulsed by and unveiling these hurts, and through offering our humanity giving some semblance of a cure.

The term "evil" is way overused, especially with religious people.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apathetic definition i.m.o.
Evil is the opposite of good, so what is good?
Love is good.
Like the good Samaritan.
Like in 1 Corinthians 13
Love is the thing that seeks the benefit of others without judging.
So the opposite would be total egocentrism, which cuses pride, hate and jealousy, which drives to murder, rape and lies.

Love is not the good; it's an instance of the good, and probably the highest good. The good, understanding what the good is without reference to examples, is something else. That's where the idea of being the end or completion of something comes about. A good tree is a complete tree -- a tree as it fully should be. Badness is negation of the good, but evil is negation of the good (through will-to-harm) willed for its own sake.

Badness happens as a byproduct. I can do bad things while thinking they're good. But evil involves the conscious intention to harm someone or something. So in that regard it comes close to hate, but even hate doesn't capture evil. We often hate as a result of spoiled love; C.S. Lewis said hate is what love bleeds when you cut it. (Indifference is actually more harmful than hate, in many instances.)

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Love is not the good; it's an instance of the good, and probably the highest good. The good, understanding what the good is without reference to examples, is something else. That's where the idea of being the end or completion of something comes about. A good tree is a complete tree -- a tree as it fully should be. Badness is negation of the good, but evil is negation of the good (through will-to-harm) willed for its own sake.

Badness happens as a byproduct. I can do bad things while thinking they're good. But evil involves the conscious intention to harm someone or something. So in that regard it comes close to hate, but even hate doesn't capture evil. We often hate as a result of spoiled love; C.S. Lewis said hate is what love bleeds when you cut it. (Indifference is actually more harmful than hate, in many instances.)
I don´t think that there´s evil, by your definition. In my experience, there´s always some positive motive or intention (or the frustration about feeling unable to pursue it positively) at the root of what a person does - as illogical, counterproductive or misguided the resulting strategy may be.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Evil is probably the absence of good.

Just like how darkness is the absence of light.

But if there is no light then you can't see. You are able to see, so there must be some light there.

There is some good there, but it is so microscopic that we do not sense it and we, therefore, conclude that we are dealing with evil.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you know you are interpreting it correctly?
One cannot be 100% sure of that. But even being 90 or 95% sure (which is entirely possible) gives you enough to make a reliable decision whether a certain action/attitude/inclination is good or evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Love is good.
Which "love?" That English word covers a wide variety of options. So let us ask which "love" according to the words used in the bible;

Hebrew:
Dod
Ahavah
racham
rayah​

Greek:
Agape
Storge
Phileo
Eros​

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Love is not the good; it's an instance of the good, and probably the highest good.
Well, if it's the highest good, isn't it just THE good?
Let me explain a little.
Love builds and sustains, hate breaks down.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which "love?" That English word covers a wide variety of options. So let us ask which "love" according to the words used in the bible;

Hebrew:
Dod
Ahavah
racham
rayah​

Greek:
Agape
Storge
Phileo
Eros​
I meant Agape.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I meant Agape.
Thank you. Now tell us how agape is unique among all these other words translated "love" in english.

I would submit that others in that list may be "good" as well.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0